The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

^^^Confusing Armistice day with Armed Forces day

Admittedly that's a depressingly common mistake.

I have to confess an ignorance in this area as I thought they had been pretty much amalgamated.

What a shit deal you got if you were of military age between 1914 and 1918. Conscripted to fight in a horrible, pointless conflict which lead to the loss of millions of lives or go to prison; get killed or disabled, or if you survive, as yet unrecognised PTSD or maybe picked off by the Spanish influenza.

But hey, in 100 years time at least you'll get Rangers fans demanding everyone wears a red plastic thing, X factor judges will wear even more elaborate red things, and members of the aristocracy will put down red things at stone pillars, and none of them will probably even be able to point out on a map where you suffered.

That's all you get. I'm not going to part of celebrating that so no poppy for me. The old lie - dulce et decorum est etc...

I dont grudge putting money in the tin or donating to help for heros or what have you but im realy not into this american style hero worship we have adopted over the last 12 years. i was only young during the 90s but i cant remeber this kind of bollocks during the troubles or the balkans when british forces were involved. you cant criticize the armed forces or any serving member of it without the facebook lynch mob hounding you relentlesly. there was even the case recently where the army wanted 2 boys to get off from an agravated assualt charge becuase they were soldiers. its gone too far.

To cap it all off i think of some people from school who joined the army, some are sound lads just furthering themselves but other were utter fucknuggets,and bullies, the last people youd want to give a gun to

Putting a poppy on a tornado just seems a little bit crass.

Are there poppies on the ordnance these tornadoes are dropping on ISIS, with a message scrawled on the outside "We Will Remember You or You Will Not Grow Old"?

It's not fucking red nose day, it's not armed forces day, it's to remember the dead of all wars, from all sides. Well that's what we were told each remembrance parade.

Now WWII vets are becoming thin on the ground i'd feel a lot better about it if we saw a few Germans and Japanese (who my grandfather would have crossed the road to strangle with his bare hands) at the cenotaph this year. Couple of Argies, some North Koreans and some Taliban too.

Edited by williemillersmoustache

Putting a poppy on a tornado just seems a little bit crass.

Are there poppies on the ordnance these tornadoes are dropping on ISIS, with a message scrawled on the outside "We Will Remember You or You Will Not Grow Old"?

It's not fucking red nose day, it's not armed forces day, it's to remember the dead of all wars, from all sides. Well that's what we were told each remembrance parade.

Now WWII vets are becoming thin on the ground i'd feel a lot better about it if we saw a few Germans and Japanese (who my grandfather would have crossed the road to strangle with his bare hands) at the cenotaph this year. Couple of Argies, some North Koreans and some Taliban too.

There are no North Korean War dead. Kim-Il Sung defeated the capitalist pigs on his own. At least that's how the North Korean history books read.

The rest I agree with totally.

What a shit deal you got if you were of military age between 1914 and 1918. Conscripted to fight in a horrible, pointless conflict which lead to the loss of millions of lives or go to prison; get killed or disabled, or if you survive, as yet unrecognised PTSD or maybe picked off by the Spanish influenza.

But hey, in 100 years time at least you'll get Rangers fans demanding everyone wears a red plastic thing, X factor judges will wear even more elaborate red things, and members of the aristocracy will put down red things at stone pillars, and none of them will probably even be able to point out on a map where you suffered.

That's all you get. I'm not going to part of celebrating that so no poppy for me. The old lie - dulce et decorum est etc...

Conscription started in 1916 except in Ireland for some reason.

Yep, the first two years of cannon-fodder were signed up under cretinous societal pressure to do so, that manifests itself in the likes of, well, poppy fascism today.

At least modest progress then from the 'you're not a real man if you don't charge a machine-gun protected trench' campaign.

Put my money in the tin and accepted one today, cause it's the stupid plastic and not the metal I put it in my pocket. Someone caught me doing it and moaned at me. Utter idiot.

Put my money in the tin and accepted one today, cause it's the stupid plastic and not the metal I put it in my pocket. Someone caught me doing it and moaned at me. Utter idiot.

I believe the appropriate response in these circumstances is "Mind your fucking business you nosey c**t" followed by a swift headbutt to the nose, irrespective of age or gender.

Yep, the first two years of cannon-fodder were signed up under cretinous societal pressure to do so, that manifests itself in the likes of, well, poppy fascism today.

At least modest progress then from the 'you're not a real man if you don't charge a machine-gun protected trench' campaign.

Exactly this. I only found out a couple of years ago my great grandad was killed at the Somme. I did some research for my mother and discovered where and when it happened. Turns out it was the last day of the battle and of course it was a totally futile, unnecessary attack. He is buried in a very small cemetery with around another forty Scottish troops from the Black Watch, Seaforths and Gordon highlanders. He was the oldest soldier at 37 years old and he left a wife and four sons. The rest of the boys were between 19 and 21. Over the top for king and country and they didn't even get past the barbed wire or fire a shot at the enemy.