The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

Most people in the UK don't wear a poppy and also quietly reflect on the horror of war.

The Guardian reported last week that the Royal British legion will distribute 45 Million Poppies this, presumably some of those will go to Ex-Pats abroad or former Allied Forces perhaps, but surely it still means the majority of UK adults and young people will wear one.

The Guardian reported last week that the Royal British legion will distribute 45 Million Poppies this, presumably some of those will go to Ex-Pats abroad or former Allied Forces perhaps, but surely it still means the majority of UK adults and young people will wear one.

The Rangers have a 50k seater stadium, next you'll be telling me that's full every week.

Atari made over quarter of a million copies of ET...

ETA: Should read "three quarters of a million".

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

I will happily donate to the charity but don't think I've worn a poppy since I was a child. I don't see why it's necessary to wear one in order to remember and reflect on its intended meaning.

As for the awful types who feel the need to go on radio phone-ins to express their offence at non-wearers and pontificate about the horrors of war, I trust these people will be writing to their MPs to voice their opposition to British military involvement in Syria when this is raised in parliament.

I've read/skimmed through most of the Poppy thread & I reckon we are all at peace with each other's habits of wearing/not wearing whatever coloured poppy we see fit.

It's the wee b*****ds that walk around with just a green stem that are the real c***s in this debate, who the f**k are they siding for?

I myself am a none wearer. But if I was to pick a war for my poppy I'd go for the war of the Roses, then there'd be none of this alternative coloured shite. It would be black & white, well red & white. So if I look at it this week I would see that the majority of Poppy folk would be in the camp Lancashire (even the BBC since they moved to Salford) whilst camp Yorkshire would go mostly unnoticed.

Well that's my contribution to the debate. I'm out of here, can anyone point me towards the road to Wigan pier?

Grimbo

What's the point in 'remembering' what happened in WW1 & 2? The point of doing so was surely to make clear that war is dreadful and should only ever be used as a last resort when all other options are exhausted in order to avoid the horrors of it all? Yet today the military is deified and the UK gleefully trots off to conflicts we should have nothing to do with.

'Lest we forget'? We already have. If you're taking a (state endorsed) set time to 'reflect', then you should reflect that sadly those who fought failed in the long run and their memories and efforts have been hijacked.

I've read/skimmed through most of the Poppy thread & I reckon we are all at peace with each other's habits of wearing/not wearing whatever coloured poppy we see fit.

It's the wee b*****ds that walk around with just a green stem that are the real c***s in this debate, who the f**k are they siding for?

I myself am a none wearer. But if I was to pick a war for my poppy I'd go for the war of the Roses, then there'd be none of this alternative coloured shite. It would be black & white, well red & white. So if I look at it this week I would see that the majority of Poppy folk would be in the camp Lancashire (even the BBC since they moved to Salford) whilst camp Yorkshire would go mostly unnoticed.

Well that's my contribution to the debate. I'm out of here, can anyone point me towards the road to Wigan pier?

Grimbo

I'd go for the battle of Ibrox, where four Hearts players tragically lost their win bonus.