The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

1 minute ago, SweeperDee said:

They over tamped it. It’s very possible for any high street coffee chain to burn coffee. Like I said, she started the coffee, had the silence then went back to tamp it after she already did it enough.

No matter how bad it tasted, the shot of espresso was not burnt.

2 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

What is my mistake? The coffee was burnt, sorry that riles you up.

I've already explained that it's not possible to physically burn an espresso shot, over tamped or otherwise.

I agree with your sentiment about shops etc just downing tools for 2 minutes being a nonsense, however.

Edited by Todd_is_God

I was interviewing folk today with one due to start at 11. The panel chair asked if we should delay it so people could have a moment of quiet reflection.  I pointed out that given the interview candidate was German maybe we should just crack on.

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

I was interviewing folk today with one due to start at 11. The panel chair asked if we should delay it so people could have a moment of quiet reflection.  I pointed out that given the interview candidate was German maybe we should just crack on.

Maybe you could have thought about all the people the British empire had wronged and the German person could have done the same. 

Glad to clear up that the concrete industry just don't care. 

Next you'll be telling us you didn't have Flanders field as your virtual background today.

On 09/11/2022 at 04:28, Satoshi said:

I hardly think it's a surprise that McGeady, a player who, at the time, had only ever played in Scotland, chose to play for Ireland was getting booed. Of course he would be getting booed, whether he chose to represent Ireland or someone else.

For fans buying tickets in the home end, it's daft, and whilst it wouldn't bother me if they do it - they must realise there's a chance they will get some stick. Especially if they make it obvious they are supporting the away team.

And I think McClean probably booed because he's booed everywhere he plays, not because the tartan army hates Irish Catholics. Some will, undoubtedly, but if you look hard enough you will find complete dafties in any large group of people.

Used to see Mcgeady and his wee group of pals in the pubs etc when I was out in my student days, he was a wee throbber so im behind anyone who boos him.

13 hours ago, 101 said:

Maybe you could have thought about all the people the British empire had wronged and the German person could have done the same. 

Next you'll be telling us you didn't have Flanders field as your virtual background today.

If it had been Flanders Car Park in the first place, maybe the war wouldn't have happened

15 hours ago, 101 said:

Flanders field could use a few slabs tbf.

Wasn't at a Scottish game today (bad cold) but watching Wolves here and the stadium announcement says showing respect for those who lost their lives in conflict AND members of armed forces today who put their lives at risk protecting us. What? The first part is what I thought Remembrance was about, certainly used to be. The second part can get tae.

33 minutes ago, Delicate Flower said:

Wasn't at a Scottish game today (bad cold) but watching Wolves here and the stadium announcement says showing respect for those who lost their lives in conflict AND members of armed forces today who put their lives at risk protecting us. What? The first part is what I thought Remembrance was about, certainly used to be. The second part can get tae.

American-esque Salute to Service jingoistic pish

On 11/11/2022 at 20:58, KingRocketman II said:

missus told me John Lewis in Buchanan Galleries shut the tills at 11am and everyone stopped and stood motionless for 2 mins.......mental stuff. if such a solemn occasion to so many, why oot buying leggings at that time?

Could be worse the RoI does that every day on RTE at 6 pm for the Angelus prayer. Think folk have become increasingly mental about Remembrance day in recent years because the soldiers who actually went through WWI and WWII are no longer around to tell them to get a grip and show some proper decorum. 

23 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Could be worse the RoI does that every day on RTE at 6 pm for the Angelus prayer. Think folk have become increasingly mental about Remembrance day in recent years because the soldiers who actually went through WWI and WWII are no longer around to tell them to get a grip and show some proper decorum. 

Yep, there is a good bit of truth in that. Because a lot of people are no longer connected to these events then they just make it another fun time event on the calendar.