The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

Souness was always a coward imo. A so-called hardman who'd go into challenges only when they were 60-40 in his favour rather than 50/50 and more often than not happy to try "leave his mark" on his victim as sneakily as possible. Nowadays he seems unable to accept his irrelevance to the modern game and is going down the road of trying to be as controversial as he can to hasten his departure from mainstream TV punditry, just so he can cry about being "cancelled". 

He's a fucking w****r. 

Souness was always a coward imo. A so-called hardman who'd go into challenges only when they were 60-40 in his favour rather than 50/50 and more often than not happy to try "leave his mark" on his victim as sneakily as possible. Nowadays he seems unable to accept his irrelevance to the modern game and is going down the road of trying to be as controversial as he can to hasten his departure from mainstream TV punditry, just so he can cry about being "cancelled". 
He's a fucking w****r. 
Sky will undoubtedly be looking at Talksport rants like that, and the previous Royal Family mewling, and be considering putting him in the Le Tiss file.

Good. What an absolute p***k.

10 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Sorry for sharing Talksport 

“You know what side of the fence I’m on. I managed a Protestant institution in Glasgow Rangers and we were royalists

You managed a football team ffs Graeme. He’s really lost the plot over this but he’s certainly not alone.

On 07/11/2022 at 23:00, Clown Job said:

Sorry for sharing Talksport 

McClean has previously explained he would wear the poppy if it only remembered WWI and WWII victims – but as it is a universal symbol for Britain’s defence of freedom, his stance is a result of the British Army’s actions in his native Derry in 1972, when 26 unarmed civilians were killed on ‘Bloody Sunday’. 

The Royal British Legion, who organise the appeal, has backed McClean and insisted his right to a personal choice over the poppy is part of the freedom it celebrates.

When asked about the abuse suffered by McClean, Rangers and Scotland legend Souness told talkSPORT: “We live in a democracy. If he’s beeing booed at a football game, or things are being sung about him, that’s not nice.

“It’s not nice for his wife or his kid, it is totally wrong that him and his family are being threatened. 

“That’s abhorent. But it will just be keyboard warriors and village idiots.

“But you also have to understand that 10,000 Irish soldiers lost their lives in the Second World War – and I think it’s right we remember them.

“You know what side of the fence I’m on. I managed a Protestant institution in Glasgow Rangers and we were royalists

“Going back a month, there was a small element at several football grounds up and down the country that rejoiced in the death of our Queen. That’s unacceptable.

“There is nothing the FA can do about that, but that happened. So James has to get on with it.

It's always good when they trip themselves up in the process of the point they think they're making

"When asked about the abuse suffered by McClean, Rangers and Scotland legend Souness told talkSPORT: “We live in a democracy.""

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

15 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

But why did Scotland fans boo him bruh?

I assume that's a rhetorical question?

I was at the game, supporting Scotland, and was appalled by the tartan army's behaviour, both in this game and the previous time we played the ROI. 

I've no idea what James McLean has done to the Scottish fans to generate the hatred. Would love someone to explain this.

Same goes for Aidan McGeady, booed continuously by the tartan army  - it's not as if Scotland has any players who have chosen to represent the country of their grandparents, rather than the country they were born in (actually I can think of more than a few, but can't recall them ever being booed for their decision).

I also found the tartan army's behaviour towards the Irish fans who had bought tickets for the wrong end unbelievable -  I was told of Irish fans leaving early because of the abuse, both verbal and physical from the "love everybody" , all inclusive, tartan army (unless you're Irish and catholic, obviously). How dare opposition fans buy tickets for the wrong end - it's not as if it was Wembley, was it?

I've been going to football games for 60 years. I don't recall this whole poppy nonsense being part of the game in the past - somehow or other we have all become targetted by the poppy fascists. Can anyone tell me which other sports behave the way football clubs do?

Can anyone tell me of any other business / entertainment that has a minute's silence on any other day other than 11th November?

I hardly think it's a surprise that McGeady, a player who, at the time, had only ever played in Scotland, chose to play for Ireland was getting booed. Of course he would be getting booed, whether he chose to represent Ireland or someone else.

For fans buying tickets in the home end, it's daft, and whilst it wouldn't bother me if they do it - they must realise there's a chance they will get some stick. Especially if they make it obvious they are supporting the away team.

And I think McClean probably booed because he's booed everywhere he plays, not because the tartan army hates Irish Catholics. Some will, undoubtedly, but if you look hard enough you will find complete dafties in any large group of people.

Edited by Satoshi

3 hours ago, Satoshi said:

And I think McClean probably booed because he's booed everywhere he plays, not because the tartan army hates Irish Catholics. 

lol wut

Do you think that McClean is being booked by Albanian or Icelandic fans? 

The 'Tartan Army' are absolutely distinct for ripping their frilly knickers at the site of that utter jobber playing. Which merits a more convincing explanation than your rubbish. 

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

lol wut

The 'Tartan Army' are absolutely distinct for ripping their frilly knickers at the site of that utter jobber playing. Which merits a more convincing explanation than your rubbish. 

Possibly not, but I expect he's booed everywhere he plays club football and within the UK home nations.

I wouldn't boo him, but it's a stretch to say that tartan army do so because they hate Irish Catholics (given they don't boo the many other Irish Catholics).

18 minutes ago, virginton said:

lol wut

“Sight”, not “site”.

HTH

I'm going to guess McLean was boo'd because a reasonable proportion of Scottish folk, and therefore of the Tartan Army, are staunch AF poppy-shaggers.  It might have been a small minority but it doesn't take that many people boo'ing for it to be heard on the telly and that.    

Souness saying a football club is a religious institution and that isn't the news story is just wild. 

If you want religion go to a church not a fucking football stadium and leave the rest of us to be normal.

Edited by 101