The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

16 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

My grandfather also served in WW2 (one of the acceptable wars).

There is every indication he despised it, he rejected campaign medals and (to my knowledge) never wore a poppy. He never discussed the war or showed any intention to.

Maybe he remembered in his own way. I think he was just horrified at the whole thing to be honest.

If he saw what remembrance day has turned into I don't doubt it would disgust him.

I find it very distasteful how they try to romanticise both World Wars 

33 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Show some respect guys.

My grandfather died in a POW camp.

Hide contents

He fell from the Watchtower.

That’s not remotely funny.  I also died in a POW camp and it’s no laughing matter.

ETA your grandfather landed on me.

Edited by Granny Danger

6 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

No country suffered more than Poland under the fucking Nazis but they don't feel the need to turn remembrance into a shitshow. 

'Cos their ain't no cunt there innit. All da buddy poles are here bruv.

11 hours ago, Satoshi said:

My also served in WW2 (one of the wars).

There is every he despised it, he rejected campaign medals and (to my knowledge) wore . He discussed or showed any intention to.

Maybe he remembered in his own way. I think he was just horrified at the whole thing to be honest.

If he saw what remembrance has turned into I don't doubt it would disgust him.

10 hours ago, Clown Job said:

I find it very distasteful how they try to romanticise both World Wars 

I had a great uncle who fought in the trenches of WWI. He got angry every time a war film was on TV due to the way they glamourised war. "They don't have any idea what it was like." was one of his frequent refrains. He also had more than a few choice words for Field Marshall Haig. "Butcher" was one of the kinder ones. He refused to buy or wear a poppy due to his contempt for the man.

I'm sure he too, would be disgusted at the spectacle it's become.

All this manufactured "lest we forget" is just Britnatary gone mad. Thick gammons worshipping the fleg and uniform and getting it up those lentil eating kaftan wearing peacenik lefties.  The whole media, politics and public are having a game of who can out poppy one another, a crazed cult of hero worship for an armed forces that's basically been involved in regime changing and bullying bewildered locals on a global scale since any fair and justified reason for going to war.(those bloody nazis, what were they like)

Sorry for sharing Talksport 

McClean has previously explained he would wear the poppy if it only remembered WWI and WWII victims – but as it is a universal symbol for Britain’s defence of freedom, his stance is a result of the British Army’s actions in his native Derry in 1972, when 26 unarmed civilians were killed on ‘Bloody Sunday’. 

The Royal British Legion, who organise the appeal, has backed McClean and insisted his right to a personal choice over the poppy is part of the freedom it celebrates.

When asked about the abuse suffered by McClean, Rangers and Scotland legend Souness told talkSPORT: “We live in a democracy. If he’s beeing booed at a football game, or things are being sung about him, that’s not nice.

“It’s not nice for his wife or his kid, it is totally wrong that him and his family are being threatened. 

“That’s abhorent. But it will just be keyboard warriors and village idiots.

“But you also have to understand that 10,000 Irish soldiers lost their lives in the Second World War – and I think it’s right we remember them.

“You know what side of the fence I’m on. I managed a Protestant institution in Glasgow Rangers and we were royalists

“Going back a month, there was a small element at several football grounds up and down the country that rejoiced in the death of our Queen. That’s unacceptable.

“There is nothing the FA can do about that, but that happened. So James has to get on with it.