The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

40 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

WTF kind of name is "showbiz" 😂

Good to see Sam sink his savings into something that would appreciate after his earnings dried up with the advent of the internet. 

"trying to remember the name of a 1930s film where the girl wakes up in a colourful fantasy land after a storm. There is a witch and a lion - can't for the life of me remember the name of it and my wife and work mates think I am making the whole thing up. Please help me Sam"

My mum called to let me know her uncle, who I also referred to as my uncle, died this week.  He was 99 and the last person I know who had served in WW2.  Joined up at 19 after finishing school in 1938 and wanted to become a tank commander but the British army had too many.   He saw an advert for the newly formed parachute regiment and went in there instead.

Ended up being dropped into occupied Greece and spending his time organising and assisting the partisans to fight a guerilla war against the Axis powers.  Mental stuff.  He kept a diary throughout it which is now in the Imperial War Museum in Manchester.

Don't know what he thought about the change in what the poppy represented.  I dont think he had one of the face masks pictured above.