The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

Every year, the range of merchandise (and that's what it is) becomes more and more tasteless.

This annual shitshow is becoming embarrassing - surely even the yanks would find Poppy trainers, #lestweforget car and truck decorations, and fucking dog collars, ffs absolutely cringeworthy. The growing connection with the rangers and other, even less savoury groups and organisations*, is also a serious concern.

My answer is to donate (quietly)** to SSAFA - every one of Are Brave Boys and Girls since 1960 have been volunteers, their families not so much.

Explaining to th next generations is the most important thing. Not just about the need to promote peace, but also the potential for twisting a noble cause to meaner, more political ends. Mine have been with me on a couple of occasions when the Two Minutes' Silence has been called, and have behaved impeccably. W're not a military family, but we can respect those who have served their country.

*Yes, there are. Stop sniggering at the back.

**I'm aware that I've just made this less quiet, but I've got an identity IRL as well.

On 15/10/2021 at 11:29, RiG said:

Every year we get this made up shite about some shop allegedly refusing to sell poppies. It goes viral with all the flag / war shaggers piling in to criticise the store and then it turns out that it's a load of pish.

Looking forward to Peter issuing a grovelling apology for his made up guff in the coming days.

On 15/10/2021 at 11:40, 101 said:

f**k that he should double down, saying he was in M&S with a soldier who was refused service and spat on by the checkout operator.

Looks like he's shat it and deleted the original tweet. Possibly due to being called on BS in the replies.

https://twitter.com/marksandspencer/status/1448365584685674510?s=20

On 17/10/2021 at 09:46, The Skelpit Lug said:

Eric Bogle's Green Fields of France and The Band Played Waltzing Matilda have to be two of the finest anti-war songs ever written. I can get tears just thinking about them. Brilliant songs.

The Men They Couldn't Hang do a great version of the Green Fields. One of the best anti war songs ever written

53 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Pedantry in the extreme, I know, but other than the pop-ups you now see with all sorts of "poppy merch", poppies were always given in exchange for a donation rather than being sold.

So M&S have never "sold" poppies.

I vaguely recall that there used to be a few old boys who would visit our primary school to “sell” poppies around this time of the year. If they had the ones with the green plastic stem they’d get avoided by most of us. If they had the metal pin, they’d get everyone’s tuck shop money and we’d spend the rest of the day screaming in agony as everyone ran about jagging each other with the pin.