The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

i gave up buying a poppy when it was named the earl haig fund, as I thought he was a mass murderer, sending thousands of young guys over the top to their certain massacre. I remember them in my own personal way, when I found out the veterans charity has 70 million quid stashed away and we have vets living on the streets and with severe mental health problems which need help, so why are they not spending the cash on them.

As stated above, in the past a small donation and a simple poppy on your coat/jacket a few days before Nov 11th seemed to be enough for most. Perhaps those who actually attended Church might also take part in a Remembrance Sunday Service. I’ve no idea how a whole industry has grown from this, with pressure brought to bear on those who either consciously choose not to mark the occasion or may be privately ambivalent about it.
This year’s ‘branded collection’, includes a food and drink section, no end of clothing/apparel choices, multiple jewellery options, home-wear and even a pets accessories selection. This sombre annual event has become so far removed from its origins. Particularly over the last 20 years or so.

6 minutes ago, candalan said:

i gave up buying a poppy when it was named the earl haig fund, as I thought he was a mass murderer, sending thousands of young guys over the top to their certain massacre. I remember them in my own personal way, when I found out the veterans charity has 70 million quid stashed away and we have vets living on the streets and with severe mental health problems which need help, so why are they not spending the cash on them.

Aye, my great uncle was severely injured during WW2 (had a bar of soap in his top pocket that stopped shrapnel going into his chest, the rest went into his legs) and he said he never received a single penny from them. 

My issues with the poppy are not just that they are used so politically but that the poppy charity itself (the British Legion) isn't at all anti-war. The white poppy (for peace) has been around since the 1930's as a result of the BL's refusal to be part of any campaign to end wars and promote peace. I kinda understood that a bit, but lately they've just become shameless about it. The poppy ball a few years ago (big benefit do in London) was held "in association with Lockheed Martin". The same year they released a version of "Green Fields of France(Willie McBride)" sung by Joss Stone, but eliminating all anti-war references from the song. Seething.

Also, if you want to get it up the poppy gammons, not wearing one might do it, but wearing a white one absolutely will. 

1 hour ago, Clockwork said:

As stated above, in the past a small donation and a simple poppy on your coat/jacket a few days before Nov 11th seemed to be enough for most. Perhaps those who actually attended Church might also take part in a Remembrance Sunday Service. I’ve no idea how a whole industry has grown from this, with pressure brought to bear on those who either consciously choose not to mark the occasion or may be privately ambivalent about it.
This year’s ‘branded collection’, includes a food and drink section, no end of clothing/apparel choices, multiple jewellery options, home-wear and even a pets accessories selection. This sombre annual event has become so far removed from its origins. Particularly over the last 20 years or so.

There's been a shift in the way the armed forces are viewed, I think since gulf war 2 with Blair and Co leading the hero/brave etc narrative. Leading to a much more American way of celebrating the armed.forces.

In Scotland it's saldy also been picked up by Rangers as another way show how British they are.

I have a mate in the navy, he's third generation services and hate the whole brave boys/hero's stuff. Finds it cringeworthy.

I no longer wear a poppy as it's now a political symbol. I donate quietly and explain to the children why we have the silence. 

Aye, my great uncle was severely injured during WW2 (had a bar of soap in his top pocket that stopped shrapnel going into his chest, the rest went into his legs) and he said he never received a single penny from them. 
My issues with the poppy are not just that they are used so politically but that the poppy charity itself (the British Legion) isn't at all anti-war. The white poppy (for peace) has been around since the 1930's as a result of the BL's refusal to be part of any campaign to end wars and promote peace. I kinda understood that a bit, but lately they've just become shameless about it. The poppy ball a few years ago (big benefit do in London) was held "in association with Lockheed Martin". The same year they released a version of "Green Fields of France(Willie McBride)" sung by Joss Stone, but eliminating all anti-war references from the song. Seething.
Also, if you want to get it up the poppy gammons, not wearing one might do it, but wearing a white one absolutely will. 
Theres a "version" of the green fields of France which was written by some psycho as a response to the original, basically a reply from Willie McBride saying that he was happy to die for his country and shit.

I only learned this recently and was utterly disgusted by it

Just now, The Skelpit Lug said:

Eric Bogle's Green Fields of France and The Band Played Waltzing Matilda have to be two of the finest anti-war songs ever written. I can get tears just thinking about them. Brilliant songs.

Sounds gimpy as f**k, but I do believe in a reflection of the sacrifice of those in WW1 and 2, and invariably on Remembrance Day each year I listen to the Green Fields of France. Its an achingly beautiful song and its absolutely perfect for what the day SHOULD be about. It should be played in schools and on TV and instead of wanking over poppies, the responsibility to ensure such wars never happen again should be re iterated to all. 

Of course, we could just keep going with "BoRiS sEnDs GuNbOAts tO PrOtEcT tRaWlErS!!!!!!!"

10 hours ago, Clockwork said:

I get why the charity do it, as they probably have more claims on their funding than ever before but it's like their marketing department has never been told what the poppy is about. Instead of quite respectful mourning it's almost cheering about the victory when millions died in abysmal conditions in the 2 wars in the early 20th century, I don't feel it's particularly appropriate to eat your dinner of a poppy plate for example.

15 minutes ago, 101 said:

I get why the charity do it, as they probably have more claims on their funding than ever before but it's like their marketing department has never been told what the poppy is about. Instead of quite respectful mourning it's almost cheering about the victory when millions died in abysmal conditions in the 2 wars in the early 20th century, I don't feel it's particularly appropriate to eat your dinner of a poppy plate for example.

Neither do I, but anybody buying that sort of stuff probably has them in a big glass display cabinet (along with their grandad's service medals).

22 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Eric Bogle's Green Fields of France and The Band Played Waltzing Matilda have to be two of the finest anti-war songs ever written. I can get tears just thinking about them. Brilliant songs.

This must be a cover but I've no idea who did the original. Still a good un too.

22 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Eric Bogle wrote No Man’s Land. Any song called Green Fields of France is an inferior cover.

16 minutes ago, Delicate Flower said:

Eric Bogle wrote No Man’s Land. Any song called Green Fields of France is an inferior cover.

OK, but is Bogle's Green Fields of France (No Man's Land) not often shortened? Either way, those two Eric Bogle songs get to the heart of the matter 

7 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

OK, but is Bogle's Green Fields of France (No Man's Land) not often shortened? Either way, those two Eric Bogle songs get to the heart of the matter 

Just being pedantic cos people always cite GFOF and Bogle never gets enough credit.

But yeah, both No Man’s Land and And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda are brilliant. As for good covers, I love The Pogues’ ATBPWM.