The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

15 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

What’s that? Not had some absolute solid gold poppy rage content to enjoy in a couple of days? Say no more:

IMG_0123.thumb.jpg.9d0f916fabeb7b655b4a12d67161cfb4.jpg

“A emoji636.png vet family” is just so, so good.

Every year we get this made up shite about some shop allegedly refusing to sell poppies. It goes viral with all the flag / war shaggers piling in to criticise the store and then it turns out that it's a load of pish.

Looking forward to Peter issuing a grovelling apology for his made up guff in the coming days.

9 minutes ago, RiG said:

Looking forward to Peter issuing a grovelling apology for his made up guff in the coming days

f**k that he should double down, saying he was in M&S with a soldier who was refused service and spat on by the checkout operator.

43 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/13143476/piers-morgan-meghan-harry-remembrance-sunday/

I know it’s the Sun and that, but this is some truly outstanding content.

Millionaire attacks ex squaddie and his mixed race wife on Remembrance Sunday

Disgusting

9 hours ago, Satoshi said:

On November 13th 1999 Scotland played England and there wasn't a poppy on show (on the pitch or bench). 

What possibly changed between 1999 and now? Well two wars of questionable legality, both of which were unquestionbly abject failures. The US government saw during the Vietnam War how damaging a disconnect between joe public and the soliders could be and implemented a deliberate policy of lionising soldiers to prevent this from reocurring.

It benefits them in two ways, first of all it helps prop support for unpopular (and frankly ridiculous) wars whilst providing a comfort blanket for the very worst excesses of the soldiers in question. Between Abu Ghraib, Soldier A and bombing weddings there have been plenty of truly horrific acts, none of which have entered the public consciousness like My Lai has (and even that required whistleblowers).

Poppies now literally adorn fighter jets - it's a noble cause b*****dised beyond recongition. Rather than being about remembering the pointless sacrifice of millions of lives during WW1 (and preventing it happening again) it is now explicitly used as a pro military and pro intervention token. 

And also worth a reminder to it's staunch followers that the poppy commemorates soldiers dying in such ludicrous heists as the Suez Crisis. Not so much as our brave boys protecting freedom - rather a reminder that our government should stop trying to steal other peoples stuff.

Lest we forget shite goalkeeping.

3 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

That Poppy Watch Twitter account makes for some interesting, whilst disturbing, viewing every year around now.

I take it that time of understated, quiet reflection in November is well in the past. Get with the future and buy some poppy trainers and a tasteful poppy montage for the car.

The big titty 3 w**k guy is a great set of posts.

4 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I'm leaning towards wind-up - the venn overlap for trainer wearers who give enough of a sh*t about poppies surely isn't large enough to make the production worthwhile? I reckon captain major admiral colonel Tom's walking frame has to be a gag - has to be, right?

I've just noticed the walking frame which convinces me that at last the Captain Tom pair are a wind up.

9 hours ago, munro76 said:

As an aside, the Armed Forces day at Ibrox raised a whopping 5 grand. Ten bob each the staunch individuals coughed up for their abseiling heroes.

Was there soldiers there again?

I'm sure it cost the tax payer £1k to have them there

ETA: Yes £774 and £20 in petrol.

Edited by 101

I was brought up to understand what the poppy represented. Both my Great grandparents were in the Black watch, I never met them but I knew what they had gone through after being told by my Gran and Grandad.

To me now, the poppy doesn’t represent the lives of those who died in wars, it’s now been weaponised by the right to justify racism and bigotry.

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

I was brought up to understand what the poppy represented. Both my Great grandparents were in the Black watch, I never met them but I knew what they had gone through after being told by my Gran and Grandad.

To me now, the poppy doesn’t represent the lives of those who died in wars, it’s now been weaponised by the right to justify racism and bigotry.

Yep, it's become like the flag of St George. Any sort of display involving it gets a wide berth, as there'll inevitably be some sort of hostility involved.

The days of a quiet donation and a discreet poppy on your jacket as acknowledgement (or not, whatever) are long gone.

8 hours ago, mizfit said:

Correct. Over and over again before Remembrance Sunday we were told it was to commemorate the dead of all wars, not just are ladz.

Remembrance returning to just wearing a paper poppy for no more than a week then collectively shutting the f**k up for 2 minutes at 11.00/11/11 would go a long way to making the UK less of a nonsense sort of a place.