The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

Demanding the instant unilateral termination of someone's employment, based on his or her possible political beliefs, displays an excellent understanding of how UK employment legislation works.  

On 07/10/2021 at 18:43, virginton said:

Stockton being very much the epicentre of staunch when it comes to plastic red flowers and oor boys:

https://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2015-10-20/70-000-poppies-in-pubs-tribute-to-military-heroes

"70,000 poppies grace the walls of this The Don Bar in Stockton, each one placed here by landlady Julie Cooper."

Sounds like they're really busy...

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

2 hours ago, Tommy Carcetti said:

Much to love about poppy season, the trainers are a favourite of mine

20211014_224920.thumb.jpg.ddd751f0dd24e3a878ad37fd7e7f6d2f.jpg20211014_224905.thumb.jpg.a716c72999c19d6f5e9ea7c1cece4609.jpg20211014_224900.jpg.892dd13c44ca66e6b757e136191d9729.jpg20211014_224754.thumb.jpg.4f46416bf6c4512a23282a7ac60c0a83.jpg

Nothing says supporting our British veterans more than tarting up a pair of trainers designed by a company whose founder was part of a family business who were in German army in 1918, became members of the Nazi party in 1933, coached and supplied sports equipment to the Hitler Youth, served in, and made weapons for the German military during the war, used captured Russian soldiers as slave labour, used "Heil Hitler" in the closing of business correspondences and in post war investigations appeared to be not the kind of people you would trust.

While I am happy to support veterans and think the government should be doing more, and I am pretty sure that Adidas are no way like the people involved who helped eventually bring about its foundation (jury might still be out on the appropriate use of labour) not sure if personalising your trainers with "Lest We Forget" and "Somme" is any less cringeworthy than buying football boots in the 1940s with design models such as "Kampf" or "Blitz' from the Dassler brothers.

Edited by Sugar_Army

On November 13th 1999 Scotland played England and there wasn't a poppy on show (on the pitch or bench). 

What possibly changed between 1999 and now? Well two wars of questionable legality, both of which were unquestionbly abject failures. The US government saw during the Vietnam War how damaging a disconnect between joe public and the soliders could be and implemented a deliberate policy of lionising soldiers to prevent this from reocurring.

It benefits them in two ways, first of all it helps prop support for unpopular (and frankly ridiculous) wars whilst providing a comfort blanket for the very worst excesses of the soldiers in question. Between Abu Ghraib, Soldier A and bombing weddings there have been plenty of truly horrific acts, none of which have entered the public consciousness like My Lai has (and even that required whistleblowers).

Poppies now literally adorn fighter jets - it's a noble cause b*****dised beyond recongition. Rather than being about remembering the pointless sacrifice of millions of lives during WW1 (and preventing it happening again) it is now explicitly used as a pro military and pro intervention token. 

And also worth a reminder to it's staunch followers that the poppy commemorates soldiers dying in such ludicrous heists as the Suez Crisis. Not so much as our brave boys protecting freedom - rather a reminder that our government should stop trying to steal other peoples stuff.

That Poppy Watch Twitter account makes for some interesting, whilst disturbing, viewing every year around now.

I take it that time of understated, quiet reflection in November is well in the past. Get with the future and buy some poppy trainers and a tasteful poppy montage for the car.

9 hours ago, Sugar_Army said:

Nothing says supporting our British veterans more than tarting up a pair of trainers designed by a company whose founder was part of a family business who were in German army in 1918, became members of the Nazi party in 1933, coached and supplied sports equipment to the Hitler Youth, served in, and made weapons for the German military during the war, used captured Russian soldiers as slave labour, used "Heil Hitler" in the closing of business correspondences and in post war investigations appeared to be not the kind of people you would trust.

While I am happy to support veterans and think the government should be doing more, and I am pretty sure that Adidas are no way like the people involved who helped eventually bring about its foundation (jury might still be out on the appropriate use of labour) not sure if personalising your trainers with "Lest We Forget" and "Somme" is any less cringeworthy than buying football boots in the 1940s with design models such as "Kampf" or "Blitz' from the Dassler brothers.

The trainers are so bad I question if they're genuine or a wind up. Does anyone know?

18 minutes ago, Northboy said:

The trainers are so bad I question if they're genuine or a wind up. Does anyone know?

I'm leaning towards wind-up - the venn overlap for trainer wearers who give enough of a sh*t about poppies surely isn't large enough to make the production worthwhile? I reckon captain major admiral colonel Tom's walking frame has to be a gag - has to be, right?

That there should be any doubt over the veracity of this ridiculous footwear kind of shows what a farce the whole charade is, though.

PIERS Morgan has said Prince Harry and Meghan turned Remembrance Sunday into a "PR stunt" asking: "Have they no shame?"

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/13143476/piers-morgan-meghan-harry-remembrance-sunday/

I know it’s the Sun and that, but this is some truly outstanding content.

15 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

What’s that? Not had some absolute solid gold poppy rage content to enjoy in a couple of days? Say no more:

IMG_0123.thumb.jpg.9d0f916fabeb7b655b4a12d67161cfb4.jpg

“A emoji636.png vet family” is just so, so good.

I always suspected M&S managers were IRA sympathisers. Good to finally get confirmation.