The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

24 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

It's too far gone now for a thicko like me, it's probably at dissertation level now but it would be really interesting to track back all this OTT mawkish bullshit to origin. See who the players are in turning a one day a year nod and raise some funds into a 2 month long humiliation.

A subway in Paris? 

I presume there will be some well over the top display at Ibrox today where they show their pretend love for the (ironically tax-funded) armed forces?

Ten of the remaining clubs will do this with more minimum fuss, and one will not do it all.

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

I give you...

?m=02&d=20080119&t=2&i=2830055&w=&fh=545

Agree. 

At lot of what you are seeing now came as a result of the second Gulf war. Clearly unpopular with public at the time, there was a deliberate move by Gov to push the American style 'Back our Boys' to avoid criticism of the war. 

Remembrance went from a couple of quid in the poppy tin and quiet reflection of our grandparents sacrifice etc into full on Gammon Fest very quickly. 

7 minutes ago, PWL said:

Agree. 

At lot of what you are seeing now came as a result of the second Gulf war. Clearly unpopular with public at the time, there was a deliberate move by Gov to push the American style 'Back our Boys' to avoid criticism of the war. 

Remembrance went from a couple of quid in the poppy tin and quiet reflection of our grandparents sacrifice etc into full on Gammon Fest very quickly. 

To have one or two granda's that saw the Western Front you'd need to the last of the Baby Boomers and dad took part in WW2. The average grandparents today more likely remember West Germany being cheated out the World Cup in 1966.

29 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

To have one or two granda's that saw the Western Front you'd need to the last of the Baby Boomers and dad took part in WW2. The average grandparents today more likely remember West Germany being cheated out the World Cup in 1966.

Yep, pretty much. I was born in 1962, which condemned be to be included in the Boomer generation. 3 of my grandparents were born in the 19th century, the 4th in 1902. My Dad was 12 when WWII kicked off my Mum, 10. And they're both gone now. 

The Crimean war was closer to my date of birth than WWI is to a child born this year. WWII ended 17 years before I was born and was considered ancient history. The equivalent for a 2020 baby would be the second Gulf war. Or Ronaldo signing for Man Utd. 

7 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Yep, pretty much. I was born in 1962, which condemned be to be included in the Boomer generation. 3 of my grandparents were born in the 19th century, the 4th in 1902. My Dad was 12 when WWII kicked off my Mum, 10. And they're both gone now. 

I'm about a decade younger, my grandpa served in the trenches but my old man is the youngest of his family by several years.

I do remember being in the Cubs and going round the doors selling poppies for "the Earl Haig fund", then traipsing up to the war memorial on Remembrance Sunday in all weathers. There would still have been quite a few WWI veterans on the go then. The symbolism of the poppy has changed immeasurably since.

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

The Crimean war was closer to my date of birth than WWI is to a child born this year. WWII ended 17 years before I was born and was considered ancient history. The equivalent for a 2020 baby would be the second Gulf war. Or Ronaldo signing for Man Utd. 

FFS give it a rest will you? I feel old and bad enough without your contribution.