The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Glad to confirm that military pedants are all over this and confirm the plane shown didn't fly in the battle of Britain, almost as if this is an I'll thought out campaign, maybe if they educated folk about the war rather than celebrate it we as a nation would be in a better place.

Albeit a while ago, the people of Hartlepool hung a monkey as a French spy. Do you expect their descendants to grasp the finer points of identifying aircraft?

12 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Albeit a while ago, the people of Hartlepool hung a monkey as a French spy. Do you expect their descendants to grasp the finer points of identifying aircraft?

The monkey hangers. Pretty sure they gave it a trial as well (a court trial, not a week long attempt to get a contract at Hartlepool Utd). Daft c***s. 

22 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Spotted this guy in Tesco earlier, getting himself ready for Poppy day. The front was even more horrific. Unless he is part of a Dutch contingent?

20201022_134351.jpg

At first glance, it looks like his feet are on back to front.

Sadly it won't be long before we see special 'commemorative' poppy strips for all teams. Give it a couple of years.
Some laugh if Celtic do one. I did like Hearts memorial shirt they did for the McCraes battalion that served in WWI as it was a throwback that was subtle & dignified vs some tacky nightmare that resembles yer casually racist uncle/aunts facebook banner.

jamie-walker-hearts-2014-1.jpg?w=740

hearts-2014-2015.jpg?w=740

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Sadly it won't be long before we see special 'commemorative' poppy strips for all teams. Give it a couple of years.

I actually wonder how far away we are from having the national anthem before every game.  As we seem desperate to be just like America these days I doubt it's more than a few years away.

8 hours ago, badgerthewitness said:

Nothing beats the lockdown blues like remembering hundreds of of thousands of young adults who were coerced into having their entrails splattered across muddy fields.

Don't know about anyone else but I'm lesting like f**k right now.

Always think of my Great Uncle Jimmy at this time of year. 

Went AWOL in 1917, returned a year later minus his uniform and kit which he got charged for. 

Nae c**t ever mentions the AWOLers in this Remembrance stuff... 

3 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I actually wonder how far away we are from having the national anthem before every game.  As we seem desperate to be just like America these days I doubt it's more than a few years away.

My grandma used to remind me that they played the national anthem at the end of the film at the pictures. In a tone that suggested I was personally responsible for the tradition ending. 

I ‘do’ remember when they played it before the television broadcast shut down for the night. (Shakes fist at nothing in particular).