The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

1 minute ago, GNU_Linux said:
9 minutes ago, Shotgun said:
I've looked in both the dugs and the cats thread and NONE of your pets are wearing purple poppies. You people disgust me.
121652195_3925260590835685_4217062963163040258_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104%26_nc_sid=730e14%26_nc_ohc=yugAFtcIRK8AX9y8gci%26_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.xx%26oh=35b9c4627380f64cc1d080b0bc965df2%26oe=5FB27134&key=8249c98496c1286482dfff831637ef8577decdac741588c28ea08b0d638c6522

Can I get one for my pet rock?

If I were ever in a battle, I'd find more use for a rock than a bloody rabbit. Unless it was that one from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

It's a hard pass from me for standing on my doorstep on the 11th. 

They should have stopped all this gaudy shite years ago. I mean the whole thing. Get it all fucked. Get 'memorial' services to f**k. Get silences to f**k. Get wreaths to f**k. Most of all, get poppies absolutely to f**k.

It's a hard pass from me for standing on my doorstep on the 11th. 
They should have stopped all this gaudy shite years ago. I mean the whole thing. Get it all fucked. Get 'memorial' services to f**k. Get silences to f**k. Get wreaths to f**k. Most of all, get poppies absolutely to f**k.
I know the Armistice is WW1 related, and they are all gone now. The veterans of WW2 must be nearly all gone too. At that point we have to stop it, or make it more low key but we are clearly ramping it up.

The people who want to ramp it up will be the same ones who complain about Alesh Dixons choice of jewellery. Unfortunately it will be them that get their way

30 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I know the Armistice is WW1 related, and they are all gone now. The veterans of WW2 must be nearly all gone too. At that point we have to stop it, or make it more low key but we are clearly ramping it up.

The people who want to ramp it up will be the same ones who complain about Alesh Dixons choice of jewellery. Unfortunately it will be them that get their way

Exactly this. Although what I find is that the further we get from WW1 the more leeway those in charge of the messaging have to change the narrative of that war, due to there being nobody around to challenge it (aside from those of us who read a book from time to time). 

1 minute ago, velo army said:

Exactly this. Although what I find is that the further we get from WW1 the more leeway those in charge of the messaging have to change the narrative of that war, due to there being nobody around to challenge it (aside from those of us who read a book from time to time). 

Aye, you cant consign it to history these days either because these morons seem to think that means you are forgetting it. Move on from the wars, put all the Spitfires in museums and stop associating the wars with some sort of national pride. 

Can only imagine the utter bemusement the Germans (and others tbf) must have looking at our pishy wee country being all proud as punch about wars that started over a hundred and over eighty years ago

18 minutes ago, velo army said:

If only there was a qualified historian on the board...

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Aye, you cant consign it to history these days either because these morons seem to think that means you are forgetting it. Move on from the wars, put all the Spitfires in museums and stop associating the wars with some sort of national pride. 

Can only imagine the utter bemusement the Germans (and others tbf) must have looking at our pishy wee country being all proud as punch about wars that started over a hundred and over eighty years ago

We absolutely should forget it though, because the folk that shout the loudest about it seem to have forgotten the reasons for those wars or know what was fought against and seem to think that they are now an example to follow.

There's nothing so confused as a poppy p***k. They have no idea what they're on about.

We absolutely should forget it though, because the folk that shout the loudest about it seem to have forgotten the reasons for those wars or know what was fought against and seem to think that they are now an example to follow.
There's nothing so confused as a poppy p***k. They have no idea what they're on about.
Doesnt need to be forgotten in almost fairness, absolutely fine to teach the wars in school and to have museums etc. Just stop wanking over spitfires and having a gawdy 2 month period of MUST REMEMBER HARD AS f**k!!!!!

This thread is essentially all about the fact that the meaning has been lost so no need to repeat it but worse than that is it becoming the most classless, tasteless display of the year.