The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

I'm gonna say it's because fitba, despite being the greatest sport in the world, is absolutely crammed full of attention-seeking welts.

I was going to say that back in less secular times these events would be focused religious institutions but these days nobody goes to church so football has stepped into the void.

I’m no great fan of organised religion but they’re when it comes to lending solemn dignity to public ceremonies they’re generally better equipped than sports teams

However your argument is quite strong too

Definitely seemed to kick in about 15 years back. I assume there was an element of political interference to encourage it at the start. Football is a hugely influential industry in the UK and getting that into the culture of the game would make for a much more compliant public when it came to justifying the actions of are lads when they ended up in places like Iraq or wherever else they send them next. Also makes it easier to paper over stuff like the enquiries into Bloody Sunday and the like, as you have a huge number of people who will just look the other way because remember.
The tactic was lifted from the US who have used sports as a means to influence public opinion for a very, very long time.
As a benchmark, the Scotland-England play off game at Hampden in 1999 was played on the Saturday of remembrance weekend and there were no poppies on shirts nor a minute's silence, so it is definitely within the last 20 years.

5 minutes ago, H Wragg said:
48 minutes ago, Ross. said:
Definitely seemed to kick in about 15 years back. I assume there was an element of political interference to encourage it at the start. Football is a hugely influential industry in the UK and getting that into the culture of the game would make for a much more compliant public when it came to justifying the actions of are lads when they ended up in places like Iraq or wherever else they send them next. Also makes it easier to paper over stuff like the enquiries into Bloody Sunday and the like, as you have a huge number of people who will just look the other way because remember.
The tactic was lifted from the US who have used sports as a means to influence public opinion for a very, very long time.

As a benchmark, the Scotland-England play off game at Hampden in 1999 was played on the Saturday of remembrance weekend and there were no poppies on shirts nor a minute's silence, so it is definitely within the last 20 years.

They'd have a flypast by Lancaster bombers dropping several tons of fresh poppies and the Red Devils with the surviving veterans strapped to them parachuting on to the centre circle to a 21 gun salute if it happened now.

13 minutes ago, H Wragg said:
55 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Wish some cant had remembered to pick up Scholes.

19 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Looks like a zombie Fallen

Jumped ship after realising somebody other Celtic was winning something two years on the trot.

19 hours ago, doulikefish said:

emoji23.pngIMG_20191109_185449.jpeg

^^^

"Just for once... let me see some silverware with my own eyes"

c1c88ad279dbe6e39628b879735677c9.jpg

Edited by Hedgecutter

It seems that a whole industry has morphed from what used to be a small donation for a simple paper flower and a quiet church service on the nearest Sunday to the 11th. Honestly think it was much more preferable to what has become an annual circus.

1 hour ago, BillyAnchor said:

Any word of tar and feathering at Ibrox for anyone only wearing one today?

They were away from home, so unless they were conducting a poppy watch at Ibrox (unlikely as probably 2 percent of their fanbase actually support their local team) then probably not... 

17 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

They were away from home, so unless they were conducting a poppy watch at Ibrox (unlikely as probably 2 percent of their fanbase actually support their local team) then probably not... 

Ha ha I should almost say I will pay more attention but that wouldnt be true.

2 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

Declan Gallagher causing waves on social media for not having a poppy on his top for the pre match photo. He clearly has no respect for are troops. IMG_20191110_155143.jpeg

I fully regret searching his name on Twitter.

Absolute eye aids from the poppy fascists.