The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

Fucking hell, the start to MOTD had some tacky cringey garbage there, including tawdry crowd displays, poppy corner flags, linesmen and fourth officials with poppies on their shirts, big screen displays and a huge poppy flag.

It's bizarre and sinister and needs to stop. Not just this sort of shit but all of it  Get 'Remembrance Day'* to f**k.

*Oxymoronic title and has been for years.

Edited by DA Baracus

Fucking hell, the start to MOTD had some tacky cringey garbage there, including tawdry crowd displays, poppy corner flags, linesmen and fourth officials with poppies on their shirts, big screen displays and a huge poppy flag.
It's bizarre and sinister and needs to stop. Not just this sort of shit but all of it  Get 'Remembrance Day'* to f**k.

*Oxymoronic title and has been for years.
Motd are only showing a very short clip of what the clubs are doing. You can't blame them really, as they've always highlighted the weekend of remembrance (and rightly so).

The tacky extras is all down to the club and tbf motd brushes over it quickly.

Attention-seeking f**k seeks attention on platform built for attention-seeking by accusing attention-seekers of seeking attention by colouring-in an icon worn by people for whom attention is sought.

...says attention-seeker on platform built for, etc etc.

When did Poppy Day become so synonymous with football? I can’t think of any other industry where there’s such uproar if every club/business doesn’t doesn’t try their best to out-remember one another.
I'm gonna say it's because fitba, despite being the greatest sport in the world, is absolutely crammed full of attention-seeking welts.

Seems an iconic picture from Vietnam showing why we should be remembering what wars are really like was deemed too shocking for here. Fair enough, wars weren't in sepia tones in silhouette, they were and are horrendous. Think we need a reminder sometimes when some are trying to romanticise mass slaughter. The picture was shown on newspaper front pages at the time, in spoilers below.

Spoiler

screen-shot-2016-09-11-at-10-25-21-am.pn

Edited by welshbairn

21 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

How many 90/100 year old men do you meet down the local pub? I'm guessing it's less than 10,000.

Unless it's a Wetherspoons I doubt there are 10,000 people of any age in the local pub.

18 hours ago, eez-eh said:

When did Poppy Day become so synonymous with football? I can’t think of any other industry where there’s such uproar if every club/business doesn’t doesn’t try their best to out-remember one another.

Definitely seemed to kick in about 15 years back. I assume there was an element of political interference to encourage it at the start. Football is a hugely influential industry in the UK and getting that into the culture of the game would make for a much more compliant public when it came to justifying the actions of are lads when they ended up in places like Iraq or wherever else they send them next. Also makes it easier to paper over stuff like the enquiries into Bloody Sunday and the like, as you have a huge number of people who will just look the other way because remember.

The tactic was lifted from the US who have used sports as a means to influence public opinion for a very, very long time.

Edited by Ross.