The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

5 hours ago, Kejan said:

Is Poppy wearing up this year?

I'd imagine if there are stats on this that it would actually be down, but last few days I've seemed to notice more wearing them than usual ; or I've been reading this thread too much and its ingrained in my head.

Why would you think that?

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Why would you think that?

Because many sensible people are so hacked off by the circus, well documented on this thread, that they stop participating.

I'd hesitate to call myself sensible but I stopped wearing a poppy years ago...

3 minutes ago, Kejan said:

More and more younger people not bothering with the politics of it all.

Could be.

I would think my generation is the last tenuous link to the Second World War, the Great War is ancient history to most quite frankly.

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

Could be.

I would think my generation is the last tenuous link to the Second World War, the Great War is ancient history to most quite frankly.

Apologies to derail a bit, but know you are from NI ; but noticed  most Irish government/Fine Gael MPs have the Irish Poppy on or is that just for UK TV? and I think even Leo was at a remembrance service in Donegal last year?

3 minutes ago, Kejan said:

Apologies to derail a bit, but know you are from NI ; but noticed  most Irish government/Fine Gael MPs have the Irish Poppy on or is that just for UK TV? and I think even Leo was at a remembrance service in Donegal last year?

No idea. Didn't even know they had Remembrance Services in Donegal. Although I suppose it is in the north...

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

No idea. Didn't even know they had Remembrance Services in Donegal. Although I suppose it is in the north...

That could be wrong though ; it might have been NI but certainly recall Leo at a service somewhere in Ireland laying a wreath.

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Could be.

Mate who's a middle aged school teacher nearing retirement pointed out that most of his pupils grandparents weren't born at WW2. Be interesting to know how WW2 veterans are still alive. How many 90/100 year old men do you meet down the local pub? I'm guessing it's less than 10,000. Not every man in that age group would have been in the forces.

See N Ireland for details.

7 minutes ago, Kejan said:

That could be wrong though ; it might have been NI but certainly recall Leo at a service somewhere in Ireland laying a wreath.

There's a wreath laying event every year in Dublin by the local British Legion. The South had more VC winners than the North.

Edited by Tutankhamen

14 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

Mate who's a middle aged school teacher nearing retirement pointed out that most of his pupils grandparents weren't born at WW2. Be interesting to know how WW2 veterans are still alive. How many 90/100 year old men do you meet down the local pub? I'm guessing it's less than 10,000. Not every man in that age group would have been in the forces.

See N Ireland for details.

They're still breathing?

4 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

There's a wreath laying event every year in Dublin by the local British Legion. The South had more VC winners than the North.

All the more reason for them to commemorate Remembrance Day, then.

I remember the late, great Gerry Anderson, apropos absolutely nothing as was his wont, informing listeners that his uncle in Donegal had been a prisoner of war of the Japanese. There were a lot of men (and women) from the Free State who fought for the Allies in the Second World War. And were treated appallingly on their return, but that's another story.