The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

1 minute ago, yoda said:

Having googled Hidden History: The Secret Origins of the First World War, it appears to be conspiratorial nonsense written by two unqualified "alternative historians".

Pick up an actual book on the First World War instead. Not some poorly researched babble. 

Margaret MacMillan's The War That Ended Peace is a good and entirely up to date account, though it focuses a bit too much on 'lol the Kaiser was a weirdo' in the German motives for my liking. 

Absolutely, I have nothing but respect for those that signed up in WW1 & WW2. Doesn't mean they weren't politically motivated wars though.
Yeah I suppose its a case of separating what drove the war versus what motivated the War to break out versus what motivated/compelled ordinary people to take part.

There are few cases (since I guess Korea as Kincy pointed out used National Servicemen) in recent history where I can justify supporting that motivation/compulsion, either in terms of the war itself or the people taking part.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

If it’s a cause you believe in you shouldn’t let the idiots that attend ibrox stop you tbf.

Over the years i have reduced the number of charities i have supported and now only really concentrate on CHAS.  The poppy thing was easy for me to decide on when it became uber-political and a selective "cause celebre" for those and those.

38 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

"I chose not to be associated with that hijacking".  End of.   

A fitba club did something, so I'm doing the exact opposite. 

Talk about being easily influenced. 

1 minute ago, MixuFixit said:

The scenes if the RAF sends a Hercules over the Kurds dropping crates with parachutes and they're waiting there hoping for guns and bullets and it's all just poppies

You've been watching a bridge too far to get that idea.

See the whole DONT LET THEM STOP US WAREING POPPYS COS OV MUSLEMS thing...is that something that these folk are actually hoping will happen? Absolutely bizarre this stuff gets passed around so frequently, and that people are so quick to assume it must be true.

5 minutes ago, bennett said:

A fitba club did something, so I'm doing the exact opposite. 

Talk about being easily influenced. 

You've been watching a bridge too far to get that idea.

If you actually read the full reasoning, you will see that it was the politicisation as well as the hijacking that influenced things.  I fully understand that might not fit your outlook, but i do and have always handsomely contributed towards the armed forces via my taxes for well over 40 years.  The same, however, cannot be said for other people/clubs/companies, yet the reek of hypocrisy is pungent and doesn't sit well with me.

Anyway, back to the Scotland U21s for me.

30 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

See the whole DONT LET THEM STOP US WAREING POPPYS COS OV MUSLEMS thing...is that something that these folk are actually hoping will happen? Absolutely bizarre this stuff gets passed around so frequently, and that people are so quick to assume it must be true.

Yes. They're absolutely desperate for it to happen. 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah I suppose its a case of separating what drove the war versus what motivated the War to break out versus what motivated/compelled ordinary people to take part.

There are few cases (since I guess Korea as Kincy pointed out used National Servicemen) in recent history where I can justify supporting that motivation/compulsion, either in terms of the war itself or the people taking part.

The war itself:  The 'worst war' (recently) was the whole Iraq shambles that the shameful Scottish triumvirate of Blair, Broon and Reed got us involved in.  Again, absolutely unnecessary and to our demerit.

The people taking part:  Professional soldiers paid to do this for a living.  Nothing about the Iraq war was anything to do with "protecting British interests" or any such shite but was, again, about our attempts to use our armed forces to 'project power' (or sook the American boaby).  The squaddies in Iraq deserve as much support as the WW1 and WW2 blokes as they have all been used as pawns in a political game and the government have very little sense of welfare for these blokes so it's down to charity.

Edited by The_Kincardine

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Oh I totally agree with all of that.

I’m just not an anti armed forces person per se.

I’m anti the circus around poppies, the poppy police, the point scoring and the fact it’s been politicised to distract from the shambolic reasons these lads are sent away to these places.

And whenever they come back crippled, maimed, traumatised and suicidal it's not the government's responsibility but a charity's.

1 hour ago, hearthammer said:

If you actually read the full reasoning, you will see that it was the politicisation as well as the hijacking that influenced things.  I fully understand that might not fit your outlook, but i do and have always handsomely contributed towards the armed forces via my taxes for well over 40 years.  The same, however, cannot be said for other people/clubs/companies, yet the reek of hypocrisy is pungent and doesn't sit well with me.

Anyway, back to the Scotland U21s for me.

Your original full reasoning was quoted, it amounted to ' Cos Sevco do it'.

Sevco appears to influence a lot in your life. Plenty reasons to buy or not to buy one but to base it on a fitba club is bonkers.

1 minute ago, bennett said:

Your original full reasoning was quoted, it amounted to ' Cos Sevco do it'.

Sevco appears to influence a lot in your life. Plenty reasons to buy or not to buy one but to base it on a fitba club is bonkers.

If you CHOOSE to buy one for your own reasons, then go ahead.  I will decide what i CHOOSE to do in life.  Whether or not you agree is irrelevant in the bigger picture.  Yes, i still have issues with the industrial scale cheating that went on, but the point i was making is that the original point of selling poppies was lost years ago and has subsequently been hijacked by those attaching themselves to this particular cause for, in my opinion, the wrong reasons. 

Let it go and you wear your poppy as you see fit.  It appears i'm not alone in my general overview.  

17 hours ago, bennett said:

If you don't want to wear or buy a poppy,  fair enough but going down the 'Cos Sevco' road as an excuse just makes your post ridiculous. 

Does it? Rangers fans w**k all over anything poppy related.

Walk past ibrox on match day, even in fucking May and there's scarves being sold with "lLest we forget on them"

Only thing you lot forget is taxes.

7 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Does it? Rangers fans w**k all over anything poppy related.

Walk past ibrox on match day, even in fucking May and there's scarves being sold with "lLest we forget on them"

Only thing you lot forget is taxes.

And every shocking decision that's gone their way for years, when one (usually irrelvant) decision goes against them