The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

11 minutes ago, Black Dug said:

Your first 2 points are a media construct, your last point is highlighting the esprit d'corp and fellowship of the forces and technical aspects of the job not glamourising war. 

Not when I was there it wasn't.  Simulators that were like rollercoasters made it seem like being in the forces was a great fun.

Not when I was there it wasn't.  Simulators that were like rollercoasters made it seem like being in the forces was a great fun.
Not when you were where? A careers fair??

Being in the forces is great fun - that is different to glamourising war. Nobody I know takes conflict lightly but no doubt you'll have a better idea than most having attended a carers fair...

36 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I don't know anyone who refers to soldiers as "our brave boys" and "heroes". I don't know anyone who organises career fairs. I don't know anyone who works in TV advertising. (Just because you make an advert doesn't mean you believe it.)

So, I don't know anyone who thinks it's glamorous.

The scheme goblins who join the army will surely find it glamourous, getting your bollocks shot off in Afghanistan or picking up an STD in a Spanish whorehouse or whatever has surely got to be better than staying in Pilton or Nitshill for the rest of your natural.

1 minute ago, Jason King said:

The scheme goblins who join the army will surely find it glamourous, getting your bollocks shot off in Afghanistan or picking up an STD in a Spanish whorehouse or whatever has surely got to be better than staying in Pilton or Nitshill for the rest of your natural.

Depends which one happened first, I would imagine.

2 hours ago, Black Dug said:
Not when you were where? A careers fair??  Being in the forces is great fun - that is different to glamourising war. Nobody I know takes conflict lightly but no doubt you'll have a better idea than most having attended a carers fair...

I've no doubt the people in war take it seriously.  The point I was making was they were attempting to get kids to sign up by making warfare look like a great time. 

You don’t know man. You weren’t there!

Edited by Highland Capital

43 minutes ago, Ned Nederlander said:

I'd say the second is a 'shopped' version of the first, it represents the losses but it isn't actually the losses.

Sun's the same position etc.

The trees don’t appear to have grown in 4 years either. I’ll have to go and point this out on Twitter now :whistle

3 hours ago, Ned Nederlander said:

I'd say the second is a 'shopped' version of the first, it represents the losses but it isn't actually the losses.

Sun's the same position etc.

From what I am led to believe, the photos were taken on the same day to show the  'expected' losses during battle. 

6 minutes ago, johnthebaptistist said:

From what I am led to believe, the photos were taken on the same day to show the  'expected' losses during battle. 

Not much of a morale booster. Other people are saying the second faked photo accurately reflects the death toll by December 2014, not the end of the war. 

As a veteran, the poppy nazi's do my head in. Been kicked off a few squaddie facebook groups, feck if that is the worst than can happen to me woopee doo. Yes I joined, not because of some allegiance to royalty, government or whatever, i joined because i wanted a career in my favoured pastime. 

Been to some dodgy places, had some dodgy moments, got some medals, chucked them in the bin. It was not my responsibility for to keep you civies to keep you safe in your beds at night or a neanderthal royal family, done it for myself. I knew the risks, death being the ultimate sacrifice, yep would have accepted that quite easily. I'm still here, I do remember, I remember the shit i went through and the friends that i lost. Do i wear a poppy ? nah, just get on with life, you can keep your special dates, your pompous exhibitions and false religious/ political shows. I did it for me and  f**k everyone/ everything else

Not much of a morale booster. Other people are saying the second faked photo accurately reflects the death toll by December 2014, not the end of the war. 
Percentage wise, far fewer soldiers died in the first world war than is commonly perceived.

Is it not something like 80 odd percent came home?

(Granted, with unimaginable damage both mentally and physically)