The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

4 minutes ago, Black Dug said:
2 hours ago, Romeo said:
No queen at the cenotaph today. Obviously doesn't give a shit and stayed in bed with a full English.

She didn't do the parade but she was there mate - watching from the balcony. She is getting on a bit.

1 minute ago, Romeo said:

Couldn't be arsed laying her own wreath eh?

Lazy old boot.

Aye get the dwp to cut off her benefits for not working

14 minutes ago, Black Dug said:
2 hours ago, Romeo said:
No queen at the cenotaph today. Obviously doesn't give a shit and stayed in bed with a full English.

She didn't do the parade but she was there mate - watching from the balcony. She is getting on a bit.

She threw the wreath like a hoop la on to the cenotaph.

On the one hand this is my views on nationalism. 

But on the other I am hugely grateful that my tiny space and small time in this pale blue dot has been made one of comfort and leisure that owes a huge debt of gratitude to men and women I have never met. The men who went over the top and Passchendaele and Arras, of the boats at Gallipoli and into the seas to hunt uboats. To the women who worked in factories and farms, the huge number of non citizens of the empire who served for a wide variety of reasons to air our fight against the Kaiser and the Nazis. I know it also fits into a bigger and longer struggle for rights from the Levellers, the Chartists, the Suffragettes and into a more modern era and newer struggles. 

Smug sneerings and and pompous condemnations are fun and make people feel like they have something of value to offer the world.

Those who contributed to ensuring Europe could largely become a family of free democracies seem to have left slightly more of a worth while legacy than the hipsters and attention seekers on here. But I am sure they will dispute this. Narcissists are unlikely to like being upstaged but those who fought for our freedom. 

For anyone that didn’t see it

Peter Jackson’s “They shall not grow old” documentary which was built out of the words off WWI veterans talking about their experience and old film footage digitally converted into colour was far better than I made it sound in that description

13 hours ago, eddiemunster said:
I live close to the war memorial in my village. I found it off putting that the local orange flute band were providing the music.

I’m guessing your village is a bit shit

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

43 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

For anyone that didn’t see it

Peter Jackson’s “They shall not grow old” documentary which was built out of the words off WWI veterans talking about their experience and old film footage digitally converted into colour was far better than I made it sound in that description

I caught the end of it and found it quite interesting.  The one thing that resonated towards the end was that they, essentially to a man, thought that war was awful and should be avoided at all costs.  What a contrast to today where war and militarism is often glamourised and celebrated.  War isn't glamourous, it's a horrible tragedy.

Edited by Highland Capital

I caught the end of it and found it quite interesting.  The one thing that resonated towards the end was that they, essentially to a man, thought that war was awful and should be avoided at all costs.  What a contrast to today where war and militarism is often glamourised and celebrated.  War isn't glamourous, it's a horrible tragedy.

Is it glamourised?

Maybe by the media, not by those involved.

I don't know anyone who has been involved in recent conflicts that didn't think it was shit.

On 10/11/2018 at 13:07, ICTChris said:

When the Nazis knew the game was up they destroyed most of the buildings in Auschwitz and forced the inmates who were able to to march West. The Soviets arrived to find inmates that had been left as they were considered too sick or weak to make the march. I think I’m right in saying the Nazis did this to most of the death camps, few were captured intact, maybe Belsen was.

Nine days before the Red Army reached Auschwitz the Germans took 60,000 prisoners and marched them 40 miles west in freezing temperatures. 15,000 died on the way. It's unimaginable to us what that must have been like. Similar things happened at many camps and death marches were common.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_marches_(Holocaust)#Auschwitz_to_Loslau