The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

8 hours ago, heedthebaa said:

If I can just clarify my position, I believe it’s time for Scottish independence, leaving Europe is a mistake and after a hunner years it’s time to let it go, oh and  I’ve never wore a poppy. But you see I’m an adult and accept the democratic process 

Presumably you won't ever be voting again, for anything, then? 

15 minutes ago, throbber said:

What hasn’t worked?

The message hasn't worked.

Our society now glorifies war and deifies the armed forces.

The original message was about never forgetting the horrors and the costs of wars so that there would never be another.

Right, I've popped my poppy on - first time this year. Will watch the service on TV, will participate in moments silence, will bow my head and remember those who died in world wars, will then take poppy off and head out and enjoy the day. I never forgot, will never forget but refuse to participate outwith this. It's turning into an armed forces, rule Britannia, bomb the shite out of third world countries wankfest.

The message hasn't worked.
Our society now glorifies war and deifies the armed forces.
The original message was about never forgetting the horrors and the costs of wars so that there would never be another.

You could argue that the message hasn’t worked because our governments have started and been involved in numerous wars since but it still doesn’t mean that we should just stop remembering our soldiers for one day of the year.

I really don’t think we live in a society that glorifies war either. What are you basing that on? Our soldiers aren’t considered as heroes by most people either, a lot of ex servicemen and women are treated awfully in this country. I think you are way off base.

Just now, throbber said:

You could argue that the message hasn’t worked because our governments have started and been involved in numerous wars since but it still doesn’t mean that we should just stop remembering our soldiers for one day of the year.

I really don’t think we live in a society that glorifies war either. What are you basing that on? Our soldiers aren’t considered as heroes by most people either, a lot of ex servicemen and women are treated awfully in this country. I think you are way off base.

You're at it

15 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Right, I've popped my poppy on - first time this year. Will watch the service on TV, will participate in moments silence, will bow my head and remember those who died in world wars, will then take poppy off and head out and enjoy the day. I never forgot, will never forget but refuse to participate outwith this. It's turning into an armed forces, rule Britannia, bomb the shite out of third world countries wankfest.

That's a bit like saying you support Manchester City but you really only watch them on the telly. You're not remembering hard enough.