The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

That's just modern politics in general surely.
Most politicians know that the majority of people will not read detailed manifesto's/policies, economic research etc etc.  Winning votes is all about a quick, emotional hit.  It's why people like Farage etc gain so much traction.  They appeal to the 'working man' and decry 'the elite' as out of touch.  Now I'm not saying that's right or wrong but people will respond to that before they go and do any independent research into what those politicians are actually proposing, let alone what they would actually implement.
Project Fear, the romanticising of armed forces, all of this is to trigger an emotional reaction because people simply don't want to put the work in to be informed.
Governments realised that promising things was difficult so they changed it to scaring people instead. The power of nightmares is worth a watch. ISIS aren't any more of a threat than the ira but its amplified to justify all the bs in the middle East. Saudi Arabia is a huge problem and we let them do whatever.

It needs to stop. All of it.

Stop the big showy displays. Stop the minute's silences at football games and anywhere else. Stop the ceremonies across the country. Stop the news mentioning it. Not banning it, just stop promoting and let it die out.

Because it hasn't worked. None of it. Even if it had worked we need to move on. It's frankly weird and perverse now.

Stop the big showy displays. Stop the minute's silences at football games and anywhere else. Stop the ceremonies across the country. Stop the news mentioning it. Not banning it, just stop promoting and let it die out.
Because it hasn't worked. None of it. Even if it had worked we need to move on. It's frankly weird and perverse now.

The 100th anniversary of the war’s end is the natural place to stick a fork in this annual charade; it’s not as if they were commemorating the Napoleonic Wars a century later.

But the various poppy organisations have seen the threat and have tried to turn it into a perennial, Sevco-esque, Armed Forces Day shanfest and so it’s only going to get worse and more gammony every year.

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

The 100th anniversary of the war’s end is the natural place to stick a fork in this annual charade; it’s not as if they were commemorating the Napoleonic Wars a century later.

But the various poppy organisations have seen the threat and have tried to turn it into a perennial, Sevco-esque, Armed Forces Day shanfest and so it’s only going to get worse and more gammony every year.

Aye sadly so. It's just going to get worse

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Apart from the minutes silences, that’s what I think about this independence and brexit pish, as you say, move on, it’s weird and perverse 

31 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

Apart from the minutes silences, that’s what I think about this independence and brexit pish, as you say, move on, it’s weird and perverse 

What a load of pish. 

They aren't remotely similar things.

Anyway, don't you have some boots to lick? I imagine it's much easier to bend down to do so without a spine. 

If I can just clarify my position, I believe it’s time for Scottish independence, leaving Europe is a mistake and after a hunner years it’s time to let it go, oh and  I’ve never wore a poppy. But you see I’m an adult and accept the democratic process 

Interesting* definition of 'accepting the democratic process' given you think that people shouldn't be allowed change their mind on an issue because you just can't be arsed with the extra hassle tbh.

* Moronic

Edited by vikingTON

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Tragic.  You tried really hard to make a decent point - and one I'd agree with - but then ruined it by referencing The Rangers.

I know you never give sensible answers but surely someone from Planet Diddy can explain why you arseholes reduce everything to us.

13 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Tragic.  You tried really hard to make a decent point - and one I'd agree with - but then ruined it by referencing The Rangers.

I know you never give sensible answers but surely someone from Planet Diddy can explain why you arseholes reduce everything to us.

To be fair no one else does over the top, gaudy tat like this-

Image result for rangers fc remembrance day

15 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

To be fair no one else does over the top, gaudy tat like this-

Image result for rangers fc remembrance day

It's the choice between a rock and a hard place, bud.

I have said elsewhere that the poppy industry is growing more bizarre by the year.  Still, I prefer our areseholes to your arseholes.

I reckon it must be only a couple of years before someone releases a catchy pop song about Poppies and Remembering and that - thus marking the point where November 11th completes the transformation into Christmas II.

Guest Moomintroll
I reckon it must be only a couple of years before someone releases a catchy pop song about Poppies and Remembering and that - thus marking the point where November 11th completes the transformation into Christmas II.
Shooders has missed a trick here.