The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Stroke City, not just for the Ulster fry. Think most locals including Loyalists call the City Derry, and the county Londonderry.

Derry and Londonderry are two completely different cities that by a strange quirk in the space time continuum just happen to be located in the same place.

I blame the media for causing trouble - they are the ones who keep producing stories about folk who aren’t wearing a poppy. It’s not news and it shouldn’t be in the news.

See also the annual stories of people being BANNED from selling poppies (when they haven’t really).

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6353665/amp/Veterans-told-leave-London-shopping-centre-public-safety-risks.html?

Technically Londonderry is the city. Derry is what the more republican Irish call it. Always fun sending letters there from work..
Nah, you'll struggle to find a nationalist/Catholic in Northern Ireland who calls it Londonderry.

We don't call Zimbabwe 'Rhodesia' any more so I don't know why we keep calling it Londonderry.

2 hours ago, Dee Man said:

I'm sure Radio 1 held their Big Day Out there a few years back and referred to it as Derry, Londonderry to keep everyone happy. 

Yeah they did.  Fucking zoomers.  I was in a neck brace for several weeks after breaking it with cringing so much.  

These days of course, most of us have DAB in our lives, ergo no Radio 1 or 2 ever.

10 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I blame the media for causing trouble - they are the ones who keep producing stories about folk who aren’t wearing a poppy. It’s not news and it shouldn’t be in the news.

The government controlled media are doing exactly what they're told to.

It's been a political tool for decades.

Overall it's entirely transparent what is happening with the Poppy and Remembrance Sunday in general. The Government have looked at America and thought 'that's the model for us'. They want to create an atmosphere where being anything other than completely submissive and supportive of Foreign/Defence policy, or anything other than full backing of all armed forces is essentially treason. They want an atmosphere where 'why aren't you wearing a poppy/support our troops sticker?' is a reasonable and acceptable thing to ask. Where someone daring to say anything vaguely critical towards profit-fuelled warfare is headline news.

That is the way Britain wants us to view warfare, the military and foreign policy. And from what I can see they're doing a bloody good job so far.  

Edited by BishopLenBrennan

10 minutes ago, BishopLenBrennan said:

Overall it's entirely transparent what is happening with the Poppy and Remembrance Sunday in general. The Government have looked at America and thought 'that's the model for us'. They want to create an atmosphere where being anything other than completely submissive and supportive of Foreign/Defence policy, or anything other than full backing of all armed forces is essentially treason. They want an atmosphere where 'why aren't you wearing a poppy/support our troops sticker?' is a reasonable and acceptable thing to ask. Where someone daring to be anything vaguely critical towards profit-fuelled warfare is headline news.

That is the way Britain wants us to view warfare, the military and foreign policy. And from what I can see they're doing a bloody good job so far.  

I wouldn’t totally agree with the last bit.  I think there are many folk who see the jingoism for the bullshit it is.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I wouldn’t totally agree with the last bit.  I think there are many folk who see the jingoism for the bullshit it is.

I'm not quite so sure. It has given the Daily Mail, Middle England sorts a cause to rally round where they can beat their chests and get all teary-eyed and proud about their great nation. That's a very powerful, and dangerous, tool. The British establishment have tried to reduce British political coverage to an emotional state, rather than anything based on facts, logic or socio-economics. That's only going to continue and become more entrenched in society.

45 minutes ago, BishopLenBrennan said:

Overall it's entirely transparent what is happening with the Poppy and Remembrance Sunday in general. The Government have looked at America and thought 'that's the model for us'. They want to create an atmosphere where being anything other than completely submissive and supportive of Foreign/Defence policy, or anything other than full backing of all armed forces is essentially treason. They want an atmosphere where 'why aren't you wearing a poppy/support our troops sticker?' is a reasonable and acceptable thing to ask. Where someone daring to say anything vaguely critical towards profit-fuelled warfare is headline news.

I don't think the government have done much more than usual recently to encourage this shit.  The tabloids + idiots having the ability to broadcast their views on social media are far more significant.  

The government has always encouraged jingoism and military fetishes.

Profit fuelled warfare would be an improvement on the incoherent mess that our foreign policy currently is.

41 minutes ago, BishopLenBrennan said:

The British establishment have tried to reduce British political coverage to an emotional state, rather than anything based on facts, logic or socio-economics. That's only going to continue and become more entrenched in society.

To be fair the Scottish Government does exactly the same thing.

48 minutes ago, BishopLenBrennan said:

I'm not quite so sure. It has given the Daily Mail, Middle England sorts a cause to rally round where they can beat their chests and get all teary-eyed and proud about their great nation. That's a very powerful, and dangerous, tool. The British establishment have tried to reduce British political coverage to an emotional state, rather than anything based on facts, logic or socio-economics. That's only going to continue and become more entrenched in society.

That's just modern politics in general surely.

Most politicians know that the majority of people will not read detailed manifesto's/policies, economic research etc etc.  Winning votes is all about a quick, emotional hit.  It's why people like Farage etc gain so much traction.  They appeal to the 'working man' and decry 'the elite' as out of touch.  Now I'm not saying that's right or wrong but people will respond to that before they go and do any independent research into what those politicians are actually proposing, let alone what they would actually implement.

Project Fear, the romanticising of armed forces, all of this is to trigger an emotional reaction because people simply don't want to put the work in to be informed.

15 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

That's just modern politics in general surely.

Most politicians know that the majority of people will not read detailed manifesto's/policies, economic research etc etc.  Winning votes is all about a quick, emotional hit.  It's why people like Farage etc gain so much traction.  They appeal to the 'working man' and decry 'the elite' as out of touch.  Now I'm not saying that's right or wrong but people will respond to that before they go and do any independent research into what those politicians are actually proposing, let alone what they would actually implement.

Project Fear, the romanticising of armed forces, all of this is to trigger an emotional reaction because people simply don't want to put the work in to be informed.

You should, because it's 100% wrong.