The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

My memory is also failing, but I thought it was just a couple of days before 11/11/18 and maybe the day after that the poppy would be worn. Here's the latest advice from the BBC.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/41942346/remembrance-poppy-controversies-and-how-to-wear-it
Millions of people quietly go about their daily business and wear a poppy for a few days a year, possibly attend a remembrance service and generally respect the individual's decision to wear a poppy or not. However it's the comparatively small number on either side of the 'debate' that make the most noise and seem to dominate the headlines and social media.

The quotes from the British Legion in that article are so far from the behaviour of some of the remembering brigade and just show the intended meaning is lost on many people.

7 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

However it's the comparatively small number on either side of the 'debate' that make the most noise

This is just utter bollocks.

There are not rampaging hordes of militant lefties getting threatening and violent towards people for wearing poppies.

Those that are making the noise are from one side of the debate, not both. To equate them is right-wing whataboutery.

Edited by Gaz

It isn't.  Derry is a city in the UK.  It is not part of Britain.
Technically Londonderry is the city. Derry is what the more republican Irish call it. Always fun sending letters there from work..

Nonsense, the city council themselves voted to have 'Derry as it's official name.' I'm sure nationalists call it Derry too.
It was never changed officially despite the council being the city of Derry council. They have sought to do so but never have had it finalised. The county is still Londonderry too.
All good fun the city of two names.

35 minutes ago, weirdcal said:

It was never changed officially despite the council being the city of Derry council. They have sought to do so but never have had it finalised. The county is still Londonderry too.
All good fun the city of two names.

Stroke City, not just for the Ulster fry. Think most locals including Loyalists call the City Derry, and the county Londonderry.

What's the only word in the English language that the first six letters are silent?...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

17 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I blame the media for causing trouble - they are the ones who keep producing stories about folk who aren’t wearing a poppy. It’s not news and it shouldn’t be in the news.

Pretty much this. I'm sure there was a ridiculous over-reaction last year when Moeen Ali's poppy fell off his jacket just before the England Cricket Team were photographed on tour somewhere. The Daily Mail predictably went tonto with the usual smattering of racist arseholes getting stuck into him for "refusing to wear one". I've posted this elsewhere, but the whole poppy thing should just be punted directly into the fucking sea after this 100th anniversary. It's become a tool to whip up shitey jingoistic racism patriotism.

It also somehow caused a stooshie in Forfar. The local Leisure Trust were approached by the local Legion guy to have tins at their premises but said no as their policy is to give to three nominated charities. The Facebook meltdown was something else, with the usual cretins "mortally offended" at the "discusting" "discrace" and demanding everyone involved in the decision be sacked. Eventually some publicity-seeking Councillor applied some pressure and the Trust relented, but the whole affair was mental, with at one point the Legion guy and his wife making long tedious posts detailing the extent of how they've "served". Legion guy also seems to have some condition whereby every use of REMEMBER and REMEMBRANCE must be fully capitalised on Social Media. 

Bin this fucking pish. 

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

I blame the media for causing trouble - they are the ones who keep producing stories about folk who aren’t wearing a poppy. It’s not news and it shouldn’t be in the news.

The BBC tweeted James McLean's 'news' last week three times on the same day, at different times. I'm sure you can guess how the reactions went.

Pandering to the gammons.