The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

This is the bit that gets me. Where are these conversations taking place? Unless either side engages on line or in person to debate the point. I have been to work, out to the pub, had an overnight away last night, been out walking. No-one has mentioned poppies. It's only an issue for the polarised tubes on either side.

Agree.

I've never worn one and don't think I have ever had anyone question me about it.  In terms of football it makes more sense given clubs are having them sewn into the strips therefore it becomes a case of opting out of it rather than choosing to wear one.

Institutions like the BBC making it compulsory to appear on the news etc with a poppy don't help either.

But would say 95% of normal humans in society don't even notice.

This is the bit that gets me. Where are these conversations taking place? Unless either side engages on line or in person to debate the point. I have been to work, out to the pub, had an overnight away last night, been out walking. No-one has mentioned poppies. It's only an issue for the polarised tubes on either side.

Maybe the time spent on P&B (for many of us) influences the perception that this is an issue that is now out of control, when in reality most folk are just getting on with their lives. Some observe this time of year by wearing a simple poppy and some don’t, both without malice though.
If you want to recreate Passchendaele on your front lawn, good for you, it requires no thought or effort from me. Likewise if you want to rant and rave about Britain’s murderous colonial past, go ahead, knock yerself out!

Imagine having to publicly justify not wearing a poppy.
What a time to be alive.

Carlisle United have now found themselves embroiled in it on Twitter as one of their players had to play without his poppy armband on as it was too big for his arm.

Shoot me now.

The Football Association and Stoke are investigating a social media post by Potters winger James McClean in which he described some of the Championship club's fans as "uneducated cavemen".

The 29-year-old was abused by a section of the home crowd for not wearing a poppy during Saturday's 0-0 draw with visitors Middlesbrough.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46095169

Seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to call a few Stoke fans.

2 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

when in reality most folk are just getting on with their lives.

See, that's the bit I don't understand. In my experience the vast majority of folk don't notice either way, but almost everyone on TV right now wears one and anyone with any kind of profile who doesn't, has to explain why.

I think there is a clear agenda being pushed. It hasn't caught on for the most part, but the BBC and Sky in particular are both pushing it. To me, the end goal is to finish up like the US, where the military are almost deified and it is very very difficult to get away with questioning individuals about foreign policy and the actions of anyone who is serving.

This is the consequence of social media - clubs (non-footballing equivalents also available) absolutely desperate to ensure that they are seen to be showing their support. Obviously if they don't they were all Nazi collaborators; a bit like the people who don't make a point of chnaging their facebook picture after any given terrorist incident, who obviously support ISIS. 

It's similar to the grief culture infecting the game. Why do we need to be seen to be doing something to "show support"? You get to the level where it becomes tacky and no longer means anything. As I said, I blame the social media offendatrons. 

I sometimes wear one and sometimes don't, so I'm only sometimes a nazi symapthiser. Imagine this makes me slightly preferable to James McLean, who would rather we were all speaking German and worshipping Herman Goring's great-grandchild or something. 

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I haven't bought one yet - our local poppy seller is still visiting his lady friend in England on holidays - but I, too have been out and about and have noticed a notable lack of poppies (hardly surprising considering where I live), but there is no "look at me, I'm being respectful" from those who are wearing them, or "you nasty warmonger supporter" from those who aren't.

So this must all being going on on line.

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

See, that's the bit I don't understand. In my experience the vast majority of folk don't notice either way, but almost everyone on TV right now wears one and anyone with any kind of profile who doesn't, has to explain why.

I think there is a clear agenda being pushed. It hasn't caught on for the most part, but the BBC and Sky in particular are both pushing it. To me, the end goal is to finish up like the US, where the military are almost deified and it is very very difficult to get away with questioning individuals about foreign policy and the actions of anyone who is serving.

Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but as I remember it anybody appearing on the BBC around this time of year ALWAYS wore a poppy, be they newsreaders, presenters, chat show hosts, chat show guests (whether British or not), everybody in front of the camera, in fact.

Does everyone presenting a BBC radio show have to wear a poppy?

Feel like this is a very obvious and simple point but see people all over FB/Twitter etc who don't seem to grasp it. James McClean not liking part of the British Army doesn't mean he hates Britain. So many people say "if he doesn't wear a poppy then why does he live in England and get paid British money, he should go home" (we'll ignore the fact his hometown is in Britain), you can dislike something about a place and not completely despise it overall. I think Trump's a bit of a fud but it doesn't mean I hate America or will never visit.  These people seem to think you need to be a mental, queen loving, union jack waving, leave voting all around Brit lover  to live or work here, it amazes me how many stupid fucking c***s live here. It's not just a couple of people it's like half of the replies to any tweet/post regarding not wearing a poppy.

53 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but as I remember it anybody appearing on the BBC around this time of year ALWAYS wore a poppy, be they newsreaders, presenters, chat show hosts, chat show guests (whether British or not), everybody in front of the camera, in fact.

My memory is also failing, but I thought it was just a couple of days before 11/11/18 and maybe the day after that the poppy would be worn. Here's the latest advice from the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/41942346/remembrance-poppy-controversies-and-how-to-wear-it

I read an interview with an American soldier who had a pretty terrifying time in Iraq, who said he cringed when people thanked him for his service. "I didn't join up for you or the flag, I just wanted to blow shit up."
He's not alone. Report today about the recruitment crisis for UK armed forces cites the lack of a real war as one of the reasons.

5 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Yeah, , but who’s your big club?

4 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

Maybe the time spent on P&B (for many of us) influences the perception that this is an issue that is now out of control, when in reality most folk are just getting on with their lives. Some observe this time of year by wearing a simple poppy and some don’t, both without malice though.
If you want to recreate Passchendaele on your front lawn, good for you, it requires no thought or effort from me. Likewise if you want to rant and rave about Britain’s murderous colonial past, go ahead, knock yerself out!

Did you have to google the spelling of Passchendaele?  (I did).

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

I always recall the current affairs types wearing it, but the last few years it seems every piece of drama and light entertainment also has poppies all over the shop, and covering a far greater length of time while doing it(weeks before rather than days). Overkill is perhaps the wrong word to use in the circumstances, but it’s the best word to use. The whole thing seems increasingly cheapened to me.

1 hour ago, The Golden God said:

So many people say "if he doesn't wear a poppy then why does he live in England and get paid British money, he should go home" (we'll ignore the fact his hometown is in Britain), you can dislike something about a place and not completely despise it overall. 

It isn't.  Derry is a city in the UK.  It is not part of Britain.