The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 15:39, John Lambies Doos said:

Doesn't really matter what she thinks, incumbent Michael D Higgins is 45 points ahead in poll.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45999270

Higgins wins, Casey second and Sinn Fein fourth. 

If you're annoyed at clubs doing one remembrance game a year then you're looking for reasons to be offended. Plenty more crass things to get yourself worked up about. 

Find the entire idea of a remembrance game a bit silly anyway.

1 minute silence on remembrance weekend is enough, no need for the whole song and dance put on.

44 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

If you're annoyed at clubs doing one remembrance game a year then you're looking for reasons to be offended. Plenty more crass things to get yourself worked up about. 

Nope. Who's offended by it incidentally?

Mentioning something does not equal getting worked up either.

The point here is that is clubs aren't doing it one game a year, because they'll be participating in another clubs' whole hoopla anyway. 

Why does each club have to do something? Why can't they just join in with the home club if their game is away? Why have poppies on shirts way in advance of whatever game falls on the remembrance weekend? It's all a bit crass and to me oxymoronic in regards to the intent of the original remembrance message.

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

Find the entire idea of a remembrance game a bit silly anyway.

1 minute silence on remembrance weekend is enough, no need for the whole song and dance put on.

When dd this malarkey start? My guess it was about 2010. The remembrance stuff being introduced to Scottish football that is... 

If matches were played on 11th November there may have been a minute's silence, I really can't remember, but there was none of this over the top (no pun intended) in your face MUST REMEMBER when I was a regular attender (1963 -73 in Scotland).

Edited by Jacksgranda
Got the year wrong

I've only seen them on tv presenters. One week leading up to Remembrance Sunday or Armistice Day is surely enough. I don't know when it became so dragged out although there's definitely much more an element of needing to be seen to be doing something (not just remembrance) these days rather than just quietly doing it.

I've only seen them on tv presenters. One week leading up to Remembrance Sunday or Armistice Day is surely enough. I don't know when it became so dragged out although there's definitely much more an element of needing to be seen to be doing something (not just remembrance) these days rather than just quietly doing it.
People were wearing then after 11th November last year on Sky. Bizarre