The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

8 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Got a feeling it's going to be a really good one this year, the 100 year anniversary along with Brexit coming to a head nicely.

IMG_20181015_200639.jpg.2add3d8aa8ef19d6a59c60e1b4ed538f.jpg

*andy williams voice* It's the most wonderful time of the year.

I’ve ordered my rainbow coloured poppy with ‘all soldiers are gay’ printed on it from out our local Christian poppy makers.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’ve ordered my rainbow coloured poppy with ‘all soldiers are gay’ printed on it from out our local Christian poppy makers.

That might have worked better had you asked for it to be printed with "All soldiers support gay marriage", IMHO

18 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

10 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

That might have worked better had you asked for it to be printed with "All soldiers support gay marriage", IMHO

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Don’t tell me what I can put on my poppy.

But if you ask for what I posted you wouldn't get it printed on your poppy...

52 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

That's nothing. I've asked a local bakery to make a poppy cake that when you cut in to it you reveal that the sponge is rainbow coloured.

Guest Moomintroll
That's nothing. I've asked a local bakery to make a poppy cake that when you cut in to it you reveal that the sponge is rainbow coloured.
Schrodingers Cake?

25 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Schrodingers Cake?

Show off.

On 10/29/2015 at 11:23, killienick said:

Your facetious, patronising retort has definitely won you the moral high ground. Well done.

I wasn't trying to 'lend credibility', I was merely giving a rational and acceptable reason for the wearing of the poppy. My Great-Grandfather, whom I never met obviously, was killed one week before the end of the war, (many people on this thread will have similar stories so this isn't one-upmanship). My Gran was left without a father and was mentally scarred by the fallout of this and she used to tell me how awful the whole situation was on many occasions. I wear the poppy to remember people like him who were forced to go to war and their family was torn apart by it.

Grief mongering? Hardly. Commemorating? No. Remembrance? Yes.

As to why Napoleonic or Boer wars weren't given the same treatment. Perhaps it has to do with the nature of the wars in question. The military was more of a vocation at those times and the wars were far less invasive on the general public's psyche. The loss of life was also considerably less. I'm really not sure though.

A vocation?

Tell that to the poor b*****ds that were press ganged