The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

14 hours ago, dorlomin said:

There is no defending it. Had they allowed it they would have been under constant pressure from every regime to have its special day remembered.

And why would that be a problem? If it's on an armband then it's hardly 'in yer face' particularly when both teams have the same symbol. It would be different if it was specifically designed to wind up the opposition - for example if England played Argentina wearing 'Remember the Falklands' armbands then they would deserve everything they get.

As funny as a 20pt deduction each would be, we would miss the chance to support 3 teams at the next world cup and laugh at another abject failure from the spirit of '66. It's all I get out of tounrnaments these days. Well, that and Zaza's penalty.

2 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

FIFA looking at the whole build up to the game, not just the armbands - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38024262

An excellent move. The laughable, two-bob 'falling poppies' animation on the big screen should merit a decade's expulsion on its own. 

3 hours ago, GordonD said:

And why would that be a problem? If it's on an armband then it's hardly 'in yer face' particularly when both teams have the same symbol. It would be different if it was specifically designed to wind up the opposition - for example if England played Argentina wearing 'Remember the Falklands' armbands then they would deserve everything they get.

Every situation would be slightly different and there would be a million different opinions about it. Which is exactly why's better for FIFA to just ban all political shite from football.

They could just allow it if both teams agree. If either objects, then the "no politics" rule gets invoked.

Not that I don't think this has been handled abysmally. The FA (and their accomplices the SFA) seemed to go about it by acting bolshy as f**k and reacting to the hysterical gutter press.

Had they just talked to FIFA like grownups, they may have come to some arrangement like they did last time.

They could just allow it if both teams agree. If either objects, then the "no politics" rule gets invoked.

Not that I don't think this has been handled abysmally. The FA (and their accomplices the SFA) seemed to go about it by acting bolshy as f**k and reacting to the hysterical gutter press.

Had they just talked to FIFA like grownups, they may have come to some arrangement like they did last time.

Well no: because then the onus would be on the opposing team to approve the political symbol, or face the tabloid seethe and/or direct, political posturing if they chose not to agree. Why should the Scottish FA or any other body delve into the history books to work out whether a symbol of remembrance chosen by a Balkan state or Armenia is legitimate?

They shouldn't, and therefore FIFA's stance is entirely correct.

Maybe. I can't say I'm too arsed either way.

I do think though that if they are going to keep politics out of football then they should do so consistently... they certainly shouldn't be rigging group draws to keep Spain/Gibraltar or Serbia/Kosovo apart, for instance.

12 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

They shouldn't, and therefore FIFA's stance is entirely correct.

The overuse of the poppy, the turning an act of remembrance in to a tragi-comic month of pathos and the denigration of non-poppy-wearers are all execrable.  Not political, though, so FIFA are absolutely in the wrong.

22 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I genuinely hope that FIFA gives the SFA the dry shaft.
It's nothing to do with wearing the ridiculous poppy but for being the FA's bitches.

It would be funny if the punishment was to force the UK to only field one international team, especially after all that pish for years about "a GB team at the Olympics would allow FIFA to merge us".

3 hours ago, Romeo said:

Have seen a few collection points to "recycle your poppy", every chance the one you bought this year could be the one you buy next year.

Aye, they've got them in Sainsbury's. Much like buying your Xmas cards in January, the more frugal could pick up next year's remembering token gratis.