Bojack Horseman

Stephen Malkmus

21 hours ago, mizfit said:

“I see you”

The realisation of its meaning was fucking brilliant.

I had an inkling that was what she was saying, especially when Bojack says something like "I see you... and she wasn't even looking at me as she was saying it, just kind of staring at the wall"

20 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I wouldn’t say it’s as funny as it used to be but it’s free therapy and fucking clever.

Kinda agree, having finished the full season - first few episodes were great and more focused on the humour side of things but somewhat naturally as the season went on and of course got a bit darker in parts the tone shifted a bit. The soundtrack is really comfy to listen to as you watch and all.

There's a huge fixation whenever people talk about TV or film about character development and how you treat it - the Soprano's had very little development of Tony's personality over the entire run imo but it was very thorough in exploring his world view, why he reacts the way he does etc. I like that  Bojack realises that people can grow, aye... but they can also regress, too. Bojack always seems to be taking one step forward then two back or two forward then one back over his life which I can relate to.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Just semi-binged season 5 since Sunday, it definitely gets darker as the season goes on. Felt Todd was a bit wasted this season and the Henry Fondler stuff while being clever ran out of steam pretty quickly. I also didn't think the funeral episode was that great, especially as I figured the I see you line with it being a 25 minute monologue that Bojack was going to twig near the end, plus I guessed the ending of that episode.

Other than that though, great.  Still a couple of moments where I had to pause and go back as I was laughing too much. Episode 11 delivered as always, about 10 minutes in I was thinking, yeah this is just a re-hash of the Sarah Lynn one but it went in a different direction.

I'll leave it a couple of weeks and re-watch for the usual Easter eggs and subtle references.

edit: I know it's a running thing now, but the one use per series of the word "f**k" means the use of it is perfect.

Edited by Fuctifano

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I started watching this before Christmas but I'm midway through S4 now and enjoying it a lot more than I expected. When it's funny, it's very funny; when it's dark, it's very dark. It toes the line between being too serious and too light, which I think a lot of comedies struggle with. Will Arnett plays Bojack so well.

This still tickles me:

ayxv6erzp7d21.jpg

It's definitely one of the most intricate / clever.

Been looking through the subreddit after watching the last episodes earlier this week and there's so much shit you would never pick up - example, in one of the season 2 episodes there's a background painting of dogs playing connect 4 as opposed to pool, but as dogs are colour blind they're playing on blissfully unaware both of them have made 4. 

Even took me a minute to work out Judah Manndowdog being a meme name as well. 

Edited by Fuctifano

• 4 months later...

I only started this a few weeks ago expecting it to be a bit of a light hearted time killer. I was mistaken. Just finished the second last episode of season 4 and it is bleak.

I don't even find it particularly funny anymore, but it's very well written.

I only started this a few weeks ago expecting it to be a bit of a light hearted time killer. I was mistaken. Just finished the second last episode of season 4 and it is bleak.

Oh god.
Good luck by the way.

The final series has one of the best TV episodes of all time for me.

47 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

The haha animal as people thing rubs off fast and the quite dark story takes over 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 01/07/2020 at 11:41, Blootoon87 said:

Finished it yesterday. I don't think I'll be rewatching it anytime soon, I was a blubbering mess at some bits.

Needed more Vincent Adultman.

I was kind of gutted there wasn't a gag either confirming he was 3 children clearly in a trenchcoat or doing something else with it, yeah.

The second last episode of the final season was one of the best of the entire run, but I reckon (even though the creators wanted an extra season) it ended at the right time.

Think if I rewatch it I'll just go for select favourite episodes (the underwater one with the seahorse, the one where he tries to get help renovating the old Sugarman place with that cracking "I will always think of you..." song and any others I have a flick through that catch my fancy).

I was kind of gutted there wasn't a gag either confirming he was 3 children clearly in a trenchcoat or doing something else with it, yeah.
The second last episode of the final season was one of the best of the entire run, but I reckon (even though the creators wanted an extra season) it ended at the right time.
Think if I rewatch it I'll just go for select favourite episodes (the underwater one with the seahorse, the one where he tries to get help renovating the old Sugarman place with that cracking "I will always think of you..." song and any others I have a flick through that catch my fancy).

I’m sure I read someone they had planned for 2 more seasons but Netflix told them this was the final season. Which is the reason they split it into 2 parts when it was initially released.

Makes me wonder if they planned to flesh out the ending a bit more.