Alloa v Queens

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just back from the game.

Dreadful start and Oliver playing wide right was so poor first half I`d have taken him off at HT.

Good finish for his second goal.

Important win.

Edit to add I was astonished to see us play a corner into the box right at the death. Immediately put us under needless pressure when Alloa gained possession.

Great start with a tremendous strike from Holmes and we went on to do ok in the first half, not creating too much but fairly comfortable at the back.

QoS came back out fired up whereas Alloa were asleep and it was 1-1 immediately. I thought McNeil might have done better there. Alloa actually played some nice stuff then with Ferns hitting the post and Crawford putting it over when he had a clear shot at goal, but QoS then scored a fine second goal, albeit marking was terrible. Thereafter we looked pretty ragged but QoS didn't put away the chances they had and we might have equalised ourselves, decent wee chance right at the end. We probably would have merited a draw based on the 90 mins but can have no complaints about losing.

QoS look like they have gone back a fair bit, as you would expect given the players they lost. Alloa have gone back even more and unfortunately too many of that team are out of their depth at this level. Clearly we won't be able to make massive changes but there are plenty of wee things that can be tightened up. Hopefully the manager can do that and ensure we manage to at least get a fairly respectable points tally. Who knows, if Dumbarton don't improve we might be able to get into a scrap for 9th.

Edited to add that Craig Thomson is shite.

Very good strike from Holmes after one minute. What a great start! Sadly for Alloa, it was more or less a one hit wonder. Rest of the half Alloa defence coped well with a very pedestrian QoS midfield. Our passing was slow and poor. Alloa had some decent counter attacks at pace without really troubling Thompson in our goal.

Second half we scored after 15 seconds! Good build up play by Del and a good finish by Oliver. Passing was slicker and more accurate and the second goal was well worked. Confidence improved and we had a good spell. Alloa pressed for an equaliser and were unlucky to hit a post.

Russell made a difference, Hutton had a better game and Marshall again did well.

Conroy came on as sub and did more than he had the whole game v Livi.

Good effort to come back to win from such a dreadful start, especially after the second half last week. Still don't think we are play-off material. Another big game for us v Dumbarton next week.

Oh yeah, meant to say, Heffernan started. Not surprised the manager made changes after last week. Get Aidan on! Heffernan offers little IMO.

I thought Heffernan did ok. Made some good runs and picked up a few flicks from Lyle. His biggest issue though is he looks a yard off the pace. He loses possession too often as the defender takes the ball off him before hes thought about what to do with it.

Your summary of the game was pretty much spot on. I also thought Millar looked better first half but had obviously tired when he was taken off

I wondered if the Alloa fans would mention Thomson. There were more than a few odd shouts from the home end appealing for who knows what. I, honestly, cant think of any decisions he got wrong. The last Alloa booking (I think) was a bit soft but the rest were fair enough.

Highlight of the day - theres a guy who I only ever seem to see at Alloa, and always end up sitting quite near too. He never shuts up, mainly to complain and mainly to shout "thats rubbish" at every mis-placed pass. When Lyle hit the ball across to Oliver he started "That shocking Lyle" etc etc. The ball landed at Olivers feet and he hammered it home.

I thought Heffernan did ok. Made some good runs and picked up a few flicks from Lyle. His biggest issue though is he looks a yard off the pace. He loses possession too often as the defender takes the ball off him before hes thought about what to do with it.

Your summary of the game was pretty much spot on. I also thought Millar looked better first half but had obviously tired when he was taken off

I wondered if the Alloa fans would mention Thomson. There were more than a few odd shouts from the home end appealing for who knows what. I, honestly, cant think of any decisions he got wrong. The last Alloa booking (I think) was a bit soft but the rest were fair enough.

Highlight of the day - theres a guy who I only ever seem to see at Alloa, and always end up sitting quite near too. He never shuts up, mainly to complain and mainly to shout "thats rubbish" at every mis-placed pass. When Lyle hit the ball across to Oliver he started "That shocking Lyle" etc etc. The ball landed at Olivers feet and he hammered it home.

I think I was sitting fairlly near him, either that or someone doing exactly the same thing.

Either way classic stuff.

A great strike by Holmer to start the game and a couple of nice passages of play but unfortunately the glaring weaknesses in the team outweigh the positives. As has been obvious for most of the season we have a real problem up front and I don't think Chopra can play as a lone front man. He doesn't have the pace or fitness to chase down clearances and opposition defences feel able to allow one of their centre halves to move up into midfield when in possession as they know they'll be able to get back in time to deal with Chopra's threat. Either give him a partner up front or drop him back one and try to get the ball in to his feet to let him play.

The other real problem is the defence, the two centre halves are OK (Marr is probably our best player) but the full backs are poor. Doyle is clearly able to play at this level but he isn't match fit, and unfortunately that showed today. Hamilton was very poor and Oliver ran off him for the whole second half. In addition the midfield had noone really capable of protecting the defence.

After a great start this was a depressing game and I'm struggling to see where our next 3 points is coming from.

Oh yeah, meant to say, Heffernan started. Not surprised the manager made changes after last week. Get Aidan on! Heffernan offers little IMO.

Couldn't disagree much more to be honest. Heffernan isn't going to chase balls down into the corners and run around like a hare, he maybe doesn't have 90 minutes in his legs now either, but I thought he did well and made intelligent moves in the areas that mattered. He was unlucky just before half time when a defender got a nick on a cross just in front of him when I thought he was going to turn in the equaliser and your summary of the first goal completely ignored the fact that it was his header at goal that Oliver turned in the rebound from. I think Heffernan still has something to offer and he'd be pretty unlucky to lose his place for next week after what I saw today. He scored twice in a bounce game on Tuesday past and twice for the 20's at Ayr the week before.

Edited to add: I thought we deserved our win today. Alloa scored an outstanding opener but apart from being unlucky when Ferns hit the post they didn't really threaten much otherwise. We controlled the game first half without really threatening to score. The second half was more even if anything but we made chances in that and should have had three or four goals in it. Apart from the two we did get Lyle missed a great chance from close range, Jake fresh aired a free header, Conroy had a free kick tipped over and we made a complete backside of a 3 on 1 near the end.

A great strike by Holmer to start the game and a couple of nice passages of play but unfortunately the glaring weaknesses in the team outweigh the positives. As has been obvious for most of the season we have a real problem up front and I don't think Chopra can play as a lone front man. He doesn't have the pace or fitness to chase down clearances and opposition defences feel able to allow one of their centre halves to move up into midfield when in possession as they know they'll be able to get back in time to deal with Chopra's threat. Either give him a partner up front or drop him back one and try to get the ball in to his feet to let him play.

The other real problem is the defence, the two centre halves are OK (Marr is probably our best player) but the full backs are poor. Doyle is clearly able to play at this level but he isn't match fit, and unfortunately that showed today. Hamilton was very poor and Oliver ran off him for the whole second half. In addition the midfield had noone really capable of protecting the defence.

After a great start this was a depressing game and I'm struggling to see where our next 3 points is coming from.

i think Doyle got taken off before he got sent off

Indeed, but I think that was largely down to not being match sharp. He got suckered into a couple of challenges on Russell that he either wouldn't normally have made or would have won the ball the ball without catching the man.

Archived