Lowland league v junior league

Hertha/BJFC1938

Fair points but I did say out with the top 6.

I can't agree that the Scottish game was thriving at that time however.

I still think clubs outwith the top 6 were still a decent standard and teams like st mirren ( McAvennie ) , Morton (Allan mahood) Partick thistle ( chic charnley) etc had some very good players .

Maybe it wasn't exactly thriving but compared to now it certainly was healthy and of a decent standard.

It's definitely slumped massively just like every level of Scottish football and even mid 90s you could watch two very good Finnish internationals in marko rajamaki and Janne Lindberg at Morton , if someone asked me to name a couple of Morton players these days I'm struggling hence the slump.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like it or not, in the 80`s was a terriffic time for Scottish football, Eurpoean trophies won, qualification for World Cups plus genuine top class players that were winning European Cups for their clubs every other year.

Whats not to agree with that Scottish football was a whole lot better then than it is now?? Seriously I would love you to tell me what is better now than it was back then apart from players salaries and the cost of going to watch your team

Name me 1 genuine top class Scottish player playing today

When exactly did the SFA offer top Junior teams access to the Scottish Cup?

It began in 2007 after a false start in 2005 or 2006 (I cannot remember off-hand). David Taylor hoped it would lead to the Juniors becoming more open to a pyramid system and the SJFA had started lobbying for it.

I don't imagine either side would have even contemplated it in say the 1970s. In that respect separatism has softened over time.

The Scottish Junior Cup match I watched on Saturday did not have proper linesmen and much of the match was spent with disputes on decisions; pure mickey mouse stuff. I cannot imagine any of the Scottish Cup matches on Saturday were played without a full set of officials.

Assistant referees are compulsory at matches at HL/LL level and above, with the exception of the opening rounds of certain local cups.

They are obligatory at all Scottish Cup matches.

Glenafton vs. Pollok a few weeks back:

20tf2jc.jpg

There were another 100 or so people camera-side. As the bulk of the gate were visiting fans, I'd hate to see the usual crowd at Loch Park unless it was Talbot / Cumnock etc.

Guff crowds are not unique to the Lowland League. Even the published Highland League figures are ropey.

Down in the South Division of the East Region, I'd say the average paying attendance for a run-of-the-mill league game would be anywhere between 20-50 for most clubs. Whitburn might drag in a few more now they're back home, and Tranent appear to be getting up near the 100 mark with their resurgence.

I think that compares favourably to a few clubs in the LL, in fact wasn't it last season where Champions Edinburgh City got 39 for a game against Threave Rovers?

Down in the South Division of the East Region, I'd say the average paying attendance for a run-of-the-mill league game would be anywhere between 20-50 for most clubs. Whitburn might drag in a few more now they're back home, and Tranent appear to be getting up near the 100 mark with their resurgence.

I think that compares favourably to a few clubs in the LL, in fact wasn't it last season where Champions Edinburgh City got 39 for a game against Threave Rovers?

My one trip to Meadowbank was in 1999 for a league game with Annan. I did a head count of 55 which inclued a minibus of Annan fans.

My one trip to Meadowbank was in 1999 for a league game with Annan. I did a head count of 55 which inclued a minibus of Annan fans.

My only visit was for their Scottish Cup tie against Shotts a couple of years back, crowd I reckoned to be around the 150 mark with the bulk of that from Shotts.

In past days the Juniors would have done serious damage in the senior cup.

Seriously think Cambuslang Rangers team from early 1970s would have beat most of Scotland outside the top six.

And the 1950s Juniors would have frightened most seniors.

In the 1950's the majority of Division "A" clubs (as it was known back then) were part time clubs, as were the juniors. Another factor was that virtually every senior players hasd come from junior clubs, sopme as young as 18 when they went to the senior clubs. These guys were the cream of the young players and they had a season at junior level before stepping up. Many went straight into the firsat team at their senior club, To name just a few, Alex Scott went from Bo'ness to Glasgow Rangers and scored a hat trick on his debut. Bobby Holmes wnt from Kilsyth to St mirren and necver played a game for the reserves before he captained the Scotland U-23 team in his first season senior. George Mulhall went to Aberdeen having just turned 17 and was pl;aying in the first team within a few weeks. All these guys, and scores of others were more than ready to play senior the minute they stepped up and it is not unrealistic to assume the top junior clubs of that era could have done very well indeed in the senior ranks.

But this is now and the game has precious little relevance in a world of academies and under 20 development leagues. It's largely an environment for lads who are below SPFL level on merit. The only way clubs will attract decent players in the longer term is if they can demonstrate some ambition. That's where i think LL clubs will slowly start to stretch away - backed up by sponsorship, prize money and grant funding which generally isn't so readily sought in the juniors - albeit Kelty seem to have secured support on their redevelopment and Bo'ness are going down the same route.

Crowds aren't required to be declared so usually aren't. Pollok do count them but the info is not widely available at present. The LL twitter records goalscorers and line-ups but not crowds.

average is just under 600 for home games this season so far

Crowds aren't required to be declared so usually aren't. Pollok do count them but the info is not widely available at present. The LL twitter records goalscorers and line-ups but not crowds.

The question has to be why, if clubs have the data it should take about 5 seconds to put it on a twitter for example.

If they don't have the data then more serious accusations start to come into play.

But this is now and the game has precious little relevance in a world of academies and under 20 development leagues. It's largely an environment for lads who are below SPFL level on merit.

There can't be many players of any competence (able to be payed to play ) who haven't been through pro-youth at some point.

There can't be many players of any competence (able to be payed to play ) who haven't been through pro-youth at some point.

Correct. I was responding to the recollection of the junior game being a breeding ground or source of experience for young players. We have a couple of youngsters on loan from Peterhead and Raith Rovers but that's a far cry from taking Kenny Black from Rangers and watching him step straight into their first team the following season - and that wasn't that long ago.

Pollok and Clydebank get excellent crowds, comparable to middle/lower SPFL2 in Pollok's case and above East Stirlingshire in Clydebank's, although sadly both seem to have stopped putting figures on their websites.

Unfortunately very few actual figures are available in non-league. Just patchy 'individual whim' coverage in club websites or programmes.

e.g. in LL you get Edinburgh City and Whitehill publishing attendances in their programmes. Gretna and Threave used to online but changed websites to new versions which don't include them. Gretna may still publish in their programme, tbf.

Drawing any kind of comparison between leagues from what is the worst game of football i've seen in a very long time, is to be frank, a joke. Colts won so should rightfully be happy, Saw one gent dancing on the spot saying it was the greatest day in the clubs history. Meant a lot to a number of folk and good luck in the next round :)

Archived