gay footballers

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It shouldnt be a big issue in this day and age, but like it or not, it is. It can only be a good thing if gay footballers are out in public to help normalise it, even though there would be no reason for a straight player to declare he likes women.

Its naive to think there wouldnt be some minority who would abuse an openly gay player, football does manage to attract its share of cretins but you would hope that the majority of fans would shout them down in the same way they would if racist abuse was being dished out.

Any homophobic comments would pretty much be restricted to moments where the player is within spitting distance of a cretinous front row fan who's most displeased with him scoring against his team or whatnot in a heated moment. Although things like "Nacho Novo, f****** homo" have been sung in mass previously (a former Pittodrie favourite anyway), I genuinely don't think that would have happened had he actually come out before hand. As mentioned previously, it's more of a dig at straight folk, but still in rather ill taste which would inevitably annoy any gay person inside the ground.

As far as I'm concerned, homophobia should be dealt with in the same manner as sectarianism inside any football ground, with the same criminal prosecutions associated with it. Of course 'show sectarianism the red card' etc has definitely brought the issue to full attention (with reduced occurrences rather than staying Scotland's dirty secret?) and hopefully players publicly 'coming out' would have a similar effect.

My step brother used to go out with the lassie who wore the Celtic mascot suit at games, she said she knew Shaun Maloney's boyfriend during his second spell at Celtic

Wrong.

I work with his ex gf.....

Archived