gay footballers

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because we live in a society where heterosexuality is assumed. Gay people are still seen by many as different, and in someway not normal. A high profile Premier League player to come out would help lots of kids currently struggling with their sexuality, as it would help to normalise homosexuality in football, and more generally.

I actually think the footballing world be pretty supportive of any player to come out. I think we are doing the sport and the supporters a disservice to assume that any openly gay player would take much abuse, if this thread is anything to go by most fans wouldn't have any issues.

Yep, appreciate your point bud,

However, if a Saints player came out tomorrow as gay would it raise your eyebrows? Wouldn't raise mine. Personally my reaction would be: ' Don't care mate, get on with the game '. Would you react differently?. I don't want to start controversy here, but I'm pretty certain our first team squad isn't 100% straight.

One of my good friends is homosexual. All his friends and colleagues know he's gay. His gran doesn't though. If he was a professional footballer he would be in the 'won't come out' brigade. Isn't that okay? If he was to come out publically his gran would find out, and he doesn't want that due to her 1950's values. Does that make him a bad role model to other homosexuals?

Have there been any open homosexuals on p and b?

Bennett the Rangers fan, one of the mods who I seem to recall flogs T-Shirts online and Big Gus off the top of my head

This is pretty shocking. All I can conclude from this thread is that homophobia is rife on P&B.

This is pretty shocking. All I can conclude from this thread is that homophobia is rife on P&B.

There's actually at least a couple on PNB who are openly gay. I can think of two off the top of my head.

I'm sure that those who frequent GN more often than I do could mention more.

Again, who cares? Should we be proud of them? Or should we just regard them as other football fans with a voice, as we are?

There's actually at least a couple on PNB who are openly gay. I can think of two off the top of my head.

Again, who cares? Should we be proud of them? Or should we just regard them as other football fans with a voice, as we are?

No, we should name them and make them feel like outsiders. How dare they be gay and have a voice, as we do.

It means nothing 'having a girlfriend' especially when the person in question is in public eye.

I know for a fact (because I know his 'gf') that there is a Scottish Premier player who has played and been involved in Scotland squads who is fairly openly gay.

I say fairly because all his friends, family and team mates know and don't care. However he did make the decision to have one of his best female friends 'named' as his girlfriend to stop any media spotlight on his sexuality. It's pretty sad in this day and age that someone has to do that but was his choice and he felt/feels he has to do that whilst having a career as a footballer.

It means nothing 'having a girlfriend' especially when the person in question is in public eye.

I know for a fact (because I know his 'gf') that there is a Scottish Premier player who has played and been involved in Scotland squads who is fairly openly gay.

I say fairly because all his friends, family and team mates know and don't care. However he did make the decision to have one of his best female friends 'named' as his girlfriend to stop any media spotlight on his sexuality. It's pretty sad in this day and age that someone has to do that but was his choice and he felt/feels he has to do that whilst having a career as a footballer.

Who is it

Names or lies....

The media make a far bigger deal out of this than 99% of normal people do.

I remember when Steven Gately and Will Young came out and it was actual news that people cared about, nowadays if someone in music came out then nobody would care so i would imagine football will go down that path in years to come and nobody will question it

Its annoying as f**k we have to wait til the start of next season to find out who it is though

Are there any middle aged people on here that aren't casual homophobes?

Was thinking the same. Some of the justification for homophobia at matches is bizarre - it's like the game suddenly makes it alright to rip the piss out of someone's sexuality.

Seriously, "I'm not homophobic, but of course I'm gonna take the piss out of a GAY if he's an opponent in sport known for making it tough for people to admit their sexuality". That's pretty goddam cunty, any way you slice it.

I don't care about it, and if he was playing for my team and playing well who gives a toss, it is probably the press who will make such a big deal about it, IMO the ordinary football fan won't give a hoot as long as he is playing well

Why should it make a difference if he is playing well or not? We are meant to be one of the most progressive countries in the world yet we still have people treated terribly due to their sexuality. It's pathetic.

Who gives a f**k what sexuality someone is.

I dream of a time when this is not news and isn't a topic worthy of debate or indeed abuse. Why? Because I don't care whether someone is gay, straight, religious nutters, black, brown, pink with yellow spots or Martian. I respect people as individuals and by their actions and words.

Footnote: I do have an issue with gender swappers* in sport, but that is separate debate (*aka the Begbie rule).

I dream of a time when this is not news and isn't a topic worthy of debate or indeed abuse. Why? Because I don't care whether someone is gay, straight, religious nutters, black, brown, pink with yellow spots or Martian. I respect people as individuals and by their actions and words.

Footnote: I do have an issue with gender swappers* in sport, but that is separate debate (*aka the Begbie rule).

You should have a problem with religious nutters. They have chosen to be that way and it's not right.

post-40259-14457668856122_thumb.jpg

Yep, appreciate your point bud,

However, if a Saints player came out tomorrow as gay would it raise your eyebrows? Wouldn't raise mine. Personally my reaction would be: ' Don't care mate, get on with the game '. Would you react differently?. I don't want to start controversy here, but I'm pretty certain our first team squad isn't 100% straight.

One of my good friends is homosexual. All his friends and colleagues know he's gay. His gran doesn't though. If he was a professional footballer he would be in the 'won't come out' brigade. Isn't that okay? If he was to come out publically his gran would find out, and he doesn't want that due to her 1950's values. Does that make him a bad role model to other homosexuals?

It wouldn't "raise my eyebrows", but I would be incredibly proud of any player to come out. I would probably applaud his name extra loud when the team sheets were being read out.

At the end of the day, it's completely the choice of the individual to decide who they want to tell about their private life. I certainly wouldn't judge any gay person who didnt want to tell people. As far as being a role model for young homosexuals though, it is important to come out.

Some kids really suffer with it, a friend of mine just recently told me how he was on anti depressants as a teenager in high school, because he couldnt accept he was gay. He thought his parents and friends wouldnt accept him if he came out. For young people like that, seeing openly gay people leading normal lives, having supportive friends and family can really help them.

Archived