gay footballers

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's weird in the sense that if the media ignored the issue, there would be less of an issue in the stands. The media are feeding the problem.

I agree that it won't be as big as folk are making out - but it'll definitely be a thing.

Relying on self policing is always a bit precarious.

Agreed.

I'd imagine the majority of supporters couldn't care less, but the media hype around the whole 'coming out' thing makes it out to be more than it is.

Football fans are capable of being utter, utter c*nts. If a Killie (totally random example) player came out publicly he'd get slagged, chants and everything, at Pittodrie and I dare say a fair few other grounds.

Maybe English fitba is a bit more advanced but I expect there'd be a fair bit of abuse at a lot of grounds. Good luck to the lad or lads, it takes some balls to come out especially in the backwards, reactionary world of British fitba.

Yep I'm not the least bit interested if a player is gay, bisexual or straight.

I imagine there's plenty of footballers who's friends and family know their gay but they've just not 'came out' to the media. Why would they?

No ones sexuality is really anyone else's business.

Agreed.

I'd imagine the majority of supporters couldn't care less, but the media hype around the whole 'coming out' thing makes it out to be more than it is.

It might be nothing to us, but to the LGBT community i'd imagine such a high profile figure coming out as gay would be absolutely huge for them.

There's no two ways about it. The first player to come out as gay in the most popular league in the world would be absolutely massive news and rightly so. Some tabloids might spin the story to be somewhat distasteful but there will also be plenty in the media who handle it brilliantly with some excellent articles.

Yep I'm not the least bit interested if a player is gay, bisexual or straight.

I imagine there's plenty of footballers who's friends and family know their gay but they've just not 'came out' to the media. Why would they?

No ones sexuality is really anyone else's business.

Because we live in a society where heterosexuality is assumed. Gay people are still seen by many as different, and in someway not normal. A high profile Premier League player to come out would help lots of kids currently struggling with their sexuality, as it would help to normalise homosexuality in football, and more generally.

I actually think the footballing world be pretty supportive of any player to come out. I think we are doing the sport and the supporters a disservice to assume that any openly gay player would take much abuse, if this thread is anything to go by most fans wouldn't have any issues.

To be honest in normal life a person being gay wouldn't bother me. If an opposition player is gay,bald,fat,ginger etc i'm going to use that to rip right into the c**t ! Once the football's finished I'd return to my gay ginger fat bald loving normal self again. I suppose that makes me a c**t, i can live with that.

I don't think it will be as widespread as you suggest. There will be a very small number of people who will try to make something of it, but I think direct homophobia is frowned upon enough in society now that most people will avoid it. There is still an issue with homophobia, but it's mostly indirect - ie using "gay", "queer" or "poofter" as an insult to a heterosexual person, rather than giving full-on abuse to people who are actually gay

What he said, being gay isn't really that much of an issue these days. A few idiots will shout things but the vast majority of fans won't have an issue with someone being gay.

Nobody is going to start ranting about homosexuals in football on here ffs :lol:

Of courses the footballing world will be supportive but if people think there won't be abuse from some supporters on match days then you are badly mistaken. We still have racism in football and massive problems with sectarianism in Scotland, it hardly fills me with confidence.

I didn't suggest that anyone would start ranting. But everyone has been fairly sensible on here (edited to include; except Tree House Tam), and we're all football fans.

I also said players 'wouldnt take much abuse', of course there will be some morons. I doubt that it would be something any gay player would hear every week though.

To be honest in normal life a person being gay wouldn't bother me. If an opposition player is gay,bald,fat,ginger etc i'm going to use that to rip right into the c**t ! Once the football's finished I'd return to my gay ginger fat bald loving normal self again. I suppose that makes me a c**t, i can live with that.

How noble of you.

And it does make you a c**t. Would you call a black player a n****r for 90mins?

Also it's not just about the player, what if there is a child, struggling with their sexuality, sat close to you at the game? God forbid it could even be your child. This type of attitude makes life for LGBT kids even harder.

You don't think there will be a hideous backlash from the terraces? Of course there will be, the fact that it's front page news shows how stuck in the dark ages football is on the issue.

Sadly it will be used by some morons to abuse the players on the pitch.

Absolutely spot on StandFree, whenever anyone famous comes out as Gay the media report it as sensationalist news. The media will grab on to any little piece of information to sell papers/website clicks.

It's really pathetic that people still lap all this up.

Archived