gay footballers

Today's daily mirror? Runs with the front headline that 2 well known EPL players one an England international are going to come out the closet.

Personally I think it's about time we got this elephant out the room it's blatantly obvious there are going to be a fair few gay footballers. Yet the professional game seems to be doing its best to ignore this for some strange reason.

Are football supporters still in the dark ages and there will be a hideous back lash on the terraces? Will sponsor's walk off in disgust? Will society collapse into hysterical won't people think of the children type hysteria? I some how doubt it.

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't think there will be a hideous backlash from the terraces? Of course there will be, the fact that it's front page news shows how stuck in the dark ages football is on the issue.

Sadly it will be used by some morons to abuse the players on the pitch.

I don't think it will be as widespread as you suggest. There will be a very small number of people who will try to make something of it, but I think direct homophobia is frowned upon enough in society now that most people will avoid it. There is still an issue with homophobia, but it's mostly indirect - ie using "gay", "queer" or "poofter" as an insult to a heterosexual person, rather than giving full-on abuse to people who are actually gay

I'd like to know why you're using that stupid fucking font.

:lol::lol: :lol:

Touché! Long story short, my computer at works internet is pish and when typing on p&b it stops and starts and takes ages, so I’ve just been typing in word and copying it over, should have changed it over to arial from calibri.

I don't think it will be as widespread as you suggest. There will be a very small number of people who will try to make something of it, but I think direct homophobia is frowned upon enough in society now that most people will avoid it. There is still an issue with homophobia, but it's mostly indirect - ie using "gay", "queer" or "poofter" as an insult to a heterosexual person, rather than giving full-on abuse to people who are actually gay

Aye right.

It's weird in the sense that if the media ignored the issue, there would be less of an issue in the stands. The media are feeding the problem.

I agree that it won't be as big as folk are making out - but it'll definitely be a thing.

Relying on self policing is always a bit precarious.

You don't think there will be a hideous backlash from the terraces? Of course there will be, the fact that it's front page news shows how stuck in the dark ages football is on the issue.

Sadly it will be used by some morons to abuse the players on the pitch.

There may be some shouts from terraces with homophobic slurs, but if the stigma is still a part of football and society in general which i have no doubt it is then the best way to deal with it is head on, so if there is anyone brave enough to come out then good on them. You put drunk alpha males in a huge group of people and you're always going to get a minority of arseholes shouting something.

Football is still in the dark ages when it comes to this because it's never had to be dealt with before. Nothing stops becoming taboo out of nowhere. It has to happen for it to be finally be accepted as normal.

In saying that though, i think the reaction for fans, players and the media will be 90% positive if and when this ever happens. We're definitely at the best possible time in history so far for this stigma to be broken once and for all.

I would like to think nobody gives a fly f**k about someone being gay in this day and age but you never know.

Would imagine a player getting homophobic abuse would go down similarly to racial abuse but id worry some supporters are still in the dark ages

Wouldn't surprise me if Theodore was gay actually, maybe him and the Ox

I'd like to think that the majority of clubs supporters will give no fucks about any footballers coming out or being outed as gay.

However, there'll always be a small bunch of morons somewhere that will use homophobic abuse towards the player(s). Probably in the north-east or a grubby football backwater like Yorkshire.

Have Chelsea moved to the north east?

Archived