gay footballers

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, killiefan27 said:

That said, I think the general move in football to make a big deal out of pride (rainbow laces etc) is a good thing,

I don't.  You can't on one hand say "We are just the same as everyone else", while at the same time shouting "Hey, look at us, we're different".  

Also, if a player said "To hell with wearing playschool laces.  You do it, I'm not." he'd be wrongly outed as a bigot and hounded for it.

What's wrong with just letting people be whatever sexuality they want to be and minding our own business?

5 minutes ago, th1stleandr0se said:

I don't.  You can't on one hand say "We are just the same as everyone else", while at the same time shouting "Hey, look at us, we're different".  

Also, if a player said "To hell with wearing playschool laces.  You do it, I'm not." he'd be wrongly outed as a bigot and hounded for it.

What's wrong with just letting people be whatever sexuality they want to be and minding our own business?

Because we DON'T let people be whatever sexuality that are. Because gay people are routinely discriminated against. Because being gay is still seen by many as effeminate, nauseating, abnormal, perverted. Because many gay people are still shunned by their own families. Gay people live in fear, which is very obviously why there has only been one openly gay British footballer, when obviously there must have been thousands. 

Until those prejudices are gone there's a need to get everyone on board with the idea that it's ok to be gay, that organisations and people in positions of authority won't allow homophobia and that people should feel free to live their lives as the person they are.

1. It's not gay players being encouraged to wear the laces, so your point about 'look at me, I'm different' makes no sense.

2. Plenty of players do not wear the laces. I've never heard of any of them being labelled bigots.

Absolute Yer Da stuff there. You're probably the sort of guy who complains about the lack of "straight pride" marches as well.

9 hours ago, th1stleandr0se said:

Should that not read "whatever sexuality they are"?

Just now, welshbairn said:
4 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:
There’s still quite a bit of homophobic chanting in England in my experience. 

Maybe you should dress down a bit.

There is still quite a bit of homophobic posting on P&B in my experience.

8 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Should that not read "whatever sexuality they are"?

Probably.  I was trying to accommodate the notion that an individual can self-identify as heterosexual, homosexual, bi-curious, bisexual, asexual, queer or whatever.  I might have mixed up sexuality with gender though.  I'll admit to not being an expert on the subject.

16 minutes ago, th1stleandr0se said:

Probably.  I was trying to accommodate the notion that an individual can self-identify as heterosexual, homosexual, bi-curious, bisexual, asexual, queer or whatever.  I might have mixed up sexuality with gender though.  I'll admit to not being an expert on the subject.

:lol: Me, neither! That's why I stuck a "?" at the end of it.

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

There is still quite a bit of homophobic posting on P&B in my experience.

Yeah, including from people who probably think that they are open minded and progressive.

Got no idea why our fans didn’t get arrested for singing about Scott McDonald last season.

Why shout this when you can call him fat or a cheat? I reckon the head Neanderthal behind the chants isn’t comfortable with his own sexuality and the others just follow like a mob.

If it happens this season again I think the club should act. Name and shame them.

Archived