Another attempted SNP smear

Fide

There's going to be a lot of these over the next 5 years. The dates are interesting. It would seem that the newspaper contacted Trading Standards BEFORE the complaint was lodged. Hmmmm...

http://wingsoverscotland.com/tiny-correction-watch/

Tiny Correction Watch

Posted on October 21, 2015 by Rev. Stuart Campbell

The SNP MP for Dumfries and Galloway, Richard Arkless, made a post on Facebook last night in relation to this article in the Scottish Sunday Express three days ago.

arkless.jpg

You can read it below.

As you may have seen, I was splashed across the front page of the Sunday Express at the weekend with the headline ‘Second SNP MP in probe’.

The allegation was that my small business and I were under investigation and subject to a probe by Trading Standards. A potentially serious allegation.

It also noted that I had resigned as a Director from my small company the day after the minor complaint was made against the company. The inference they attempted to make is clear.

I can confirm that there is no investigation, and I have the proof – in a response from Trading Standards I received today.

I have awaited the evidence before countering these malicious allegations in public. We knew them to be false on Sunday but could not stop the story being published.

In the email from Trading Standards I reproduce below, I asked for confirmation of 6 statements of fact. Trading Standards responses are denoted by ‘A’ and are below my questions.

Richard,

Thank you for your email.

Responses to your points below with an ‘A’ beside them.

1. Can you confirm that neither my company nor I are under investigation or subject to any probe by Trading Standards?

A – Trading Standards have confirmed this to be the case.

2. Can you confirm that you received a log of one issue against my business and made the recommendation that that customer write to my business to resolve the issue?

A – Trading Standards received a notification of a consumer complaint from the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline that required no further action by this service. The consumer had been given civil advice by the helpline and the complaint closed.

3. Can you confirm that Trading Standards received notification of the issue on Wednesday 14th October?

A – Yes, this is correct.

4. Can you confirm that the Express called you to enquire about this on the same day Wednesday 14th October?

A – The Daily Express first made the enquiry on Friday 9 October. No response was issued by Dumfries and Galloway Council. The Daily Express submitted their enquiry for a second time on Wednesday 14 October.

5. Can you confirm that trading standards, in the circumstances, had no intention of contacting me about the issue and did not contact me about it?

A – The complaint had been closed by the CA Helpline before notification to this service therefore no action was deemed necessary. The CA Helpline provided civil law advice to the consumer.

6. Can you confirm that the first contact between Trading Standards and myself was the conversation I had with your offices in Friday 16th October after I called your offices to discuss the matter.

A – Yes, this is correct.

Thanks

[Name redacted]

Communications Manager

Communications Unit

Dumfries and Galloway Council

Dumfries

DG1 2DD

The response from Trading Standards makes clear that there is no investigation and that I had not been in contact with Trading Standards until after I resigned as a director.

I will be lodging a complaint with the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO) tomorrow.

Needless to say this had not been a pleasant experience. The allegations are fictitious in the extreme. The most frustrating aspect is how much time it has taken from the job I was elected to do, which is to help the people of Dumfries and Galloway.

We will of course keep an eye out for the paper’s correction, which we anticipate being published in a tiny postage-stamp-sized corner of an inside page some time from now. In the meantime, we suspect readers will agree it deserves a more prominent position.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two smears down, 54 to go. The SNP need to take the gloves off and go on the attack. No more mister nice guy if the establishment are using every dirty trick in the book. Sue the liars and win, then they will have to think twice about their current tactics

Sounds like the express shot their load early by enquiring about the manufactured complaint before they even submitted said manufactured complaint.

Clear case of an attempt to manufacture a scandal to smear a member of parliament. Heads should roll for that IMHO.

"The pen is mightier than the Sword"

Unless the pen is wielded by a half-witted simpleton playing at being a journalist and massively fucking up a smear story.

Silly c***s :lol:

The problem is that even is the complaint is upheld by IPSO then all the Express need to do is print a 2 line correction buried on page 17. This leaves the original story firmly imprinted in the finds of the brainless droves of idiots who read rags like the Express.

The press need to be brought to task over these smears and bodies like IPSO need to be given some real teeth.

The problem is that even is the complaint is upheld by IPSO then all the Express need to do is print a 2 line correction buried on page 17. This leaves the original story firmly imprinted in the finds of the brainless droves of idiots who read rags like the Express.

The press need to be brought to task over these smears and bodies like IPSO need to be given some real teeth.

I wonder how keen the press would be to tell lies if they were required to devote the same amount of space to corrections as to "errors", falsehoods and upheld complains about the veracity of stories.

I wonder how keen the press would be to tell lies if they were required to devote the same amount of space to corrections as to "errors", falsehoods and upheld complains about the veracity of stories.

Or even better, dedicate that same space that would normally be used for advertising to "corrections". Hit the b*****ds where it hurts.

IPSO are worse than a man down.

For me, the press being able to lie with impunity reminds me of the myriad lies told by Better Together in the referendum campaign. Guards at the border, food will cost more, organ transplants won't happen, old dears will lose their pension.

These lies were dishonest and without foundation, but once it's out there and in the minds of the gullible it's embedded.

Of course the nationalists are all free thinkers who independently all repeat the SNP mantra.

Run along. Awful fishing attempt. :lol:

Now now they are all free thinkers it's just they have all reached identical conclusions......or maybe it's just like the Borg in that Star Trek off the telly.

IPSO are worse than a man down.

For me, the press being able to lie with impunity reminds me of the myriad lies told by Better Together in the referendum campaign. Guards at the border, food will cost more, organ transplants won't happen, old dears will lose their pension.

These lies were dishonest and without foundation, but once it's out there and in the minds of the gullible it's embedded.

Nae actual proof these are lies though.Oil prices however are a proven SNP porky that is absolutely demonstrable.Or the EU letter that didn't exist that's absolutely factual also.Glass houses and stones im afraid.

Nae actual proof these are lies though.Oil prices however are a proven SNP porky that is absolutely demonstrable.Or the EU letter that didn't exist that's absolutely factual also.Glass houses and stones im afraid.

No proof that they're true either, which the people spouting it knew, which means it's misleading at best.

Can you remind us what prices oil and gas UK were predicting not that long ago.

As for the EU, don't know much about that one, all I know is that Salmond was cleared of any wrongdoing.

No proof that they're true either, which the people spouting it knew, which means it's misleading at best.

Can you remind us what prices oil and gas UK were predicting not that long ago.

As for the EU, don't know much about that one, all I know is that Salmond was cleared of any wrongdoing.

The SNP used oil prices as a central plank for independence for decades so what they predicted is a bit more pertinent than the forecasts of other bodies not using the price as an electoral strategy.As for Alex and the EU ive nae idea about him being cleared of "wrongdoing" but in my humble opinion he was "economical with the truth" through the whole membership farago.Ecks pants were on fire all right.

Archived