Is football for families?

jimbaxters

I have a season ticket for both my son ( 8) and myself at Kilsyth, and we have been going for most of his life. I do get the argument about swearing and it sometimes can be a bit awkward when you hear language that you would not tend to use yourself. I have explained it to him that sometimes when people get angry or frustrated they use words that they would not normally use in day to day life and watch junior football can certainly get you angry and annoyed.

Regards kids at games, I think we should be doing all we can to encourage as many as possible to attend, but it is difficult for teams with shoestring committees to be as active within schools, local teams etc as I am sure they would like to be.

Is Junior football a family sport - In the main no, as it lack the basic facilities required (at most grounds) to make it suitable for a family day out. However I do not think it promotes itself as a family sport and do not see anything wrong with that. It is what it is and we should all try to make it the best it can be.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love taking my kids to Troon games.

They get in for free, love having a juice & a hot dog, love watching the football & when they get bored there is always a wee 5 a side game on the warm-up pitch behind the goals where all the kids eventually end up. It's great to get them into following the club & actually watching football in the flesh instead of thinking football is a TV programme.

I do agree with you about the language jimbaxter, but I usually move a bit further away from the crowd when I've got the kids with me so they're less likely to hear it.

Do your kids enjoy going on the pitch at h/t and having a shoot in ...oops sorry forgot about Gus :) :)

Jim usually like reading your posts on here but totally disagree with you... The crowds are dwindling throughout the country at Junior games and I have seen a big difference from when I started playing many moons ago. If you don't get kids in and around the club at an early age I can assure you 90% will not be interested in going in later years when they have computer games, live football, Celtic and Rangers, peer pressure and the opposite sex to interest them to name but a few.

I always use Ben Lewis at Kilwinning as a great example for getting your kids along, he has been supporting them since just a nipper , graduated to ball boy and now stars with them, is one of their biggest players and a gentleman to boot so the shouts over the years have done him no harm.

We need to encourage kids along to become the supporters of the future, maybe clubs need to look at better facilities and other entertainment to keep them amused whilst there. Thinking family areas, half time kids events, small play area etc

Ben's a great example of someone growing up with the club,we've been trying to get more kids in and around the place,over the last 2 seasons,and make the club more appealing to children.

Would love to see more kids at abbey park,and eventually a full team of kids playing for the buffs from the town.

Onwards and upwards.

There's a thing called a PlayStation and the like. It's where kids arm themselves with machine guns,Uzis,Samurai swords and other fecking weapons to blow people's heads off. The language is also quite fecking colourful.

I think this is more worrying than attending a football match.

:lol: :lol:

And very true.........

There's a thing called a PlayStation and the like. It's where kids arm themselves with machine guns,Uzis,Samurai swords and other fecking weapons to blow people's heads off. The language is also quite fecking colourful.

I think this is more worrying than attending a football match.

True bud.Still,surely parents are able to discipline their kids when their language becomes too colourful. :huh:

I've never swore aloud at a Junior game.

I'm astounded at every game i go to the Juniors still exist.

They start out way back and end up in the 1950s in almost an alternative football universe.

77,000 at a cup final, 64,000 at a semi final.

Unbelieveable 20000 and 30000 crowds turning up at grounds that wouldn't get a safety certificate for a tenth of that today.

And the crowds are now back at the start somewhere in the 1890s.

Can't say i hear that much swearing.

The average crowd at a league game seems to be about a 100.

In general i'd say the Juniors are family friendly.

If families don't want to hear swearing then they can eff off back to their effin computers.

I took my kids to a Juniors game once. They stood on a pile of gravel and tucked into a pie that had to be tipped sideways to get rid of the runny animal fat. Furthermore they witnessed first hand football that would compare to watching John Sergeant getting wanked off by Ann Widdecombe. On the plus side, they now know how to swear properly and helped some of the pissed up guys next to us spell their names.

I took my kids to a Juniors game once. They stood on a pile of gravel and tucked into a pie that had to be tipped sideways to get rid of the runny animal fat. Furthermore they witnessed first hand football that would compare to watching John Sergeant getting wanked off by Ann Widdecombe. On the plus side, they now know how to swear properly and helped some of the pissed up guys next to us spell their names.

Or they could go to a Motherwell match & watch grown men hit footballers with golf umbrellas

Or maybe if they are lucky they will see guys attacking match day stewards just doing their jobs

Now f**k off back to your boring spl forum ya cockwomble

Or they could go to a Motherwell match & watch grown men hit footballers with golf umbrellas

Or maybe if they are lucky they will see guys attacking match day stewards just doing their jobs

Who says the Juniors aren't a friendly bunch.

A fannyspangle and a cockwomble both used in the same day on here.

You're starting to sound like an angry hertha on here more so by the minute :lol: :lol: :)

A fannyspangle and a cockwomble both used in the same day on here.

You're starting to sound like an angry hertha on here more so by the minute :lol: :lol: :)

Just when folks try to belittle me or try to throw mud when their own house is a shambles like fans of Motherwell mate

As you know normally I'm a happy go lucky individual

Just when folks try to belittle me or try to throw mud when their own house is a shambles like fans of Motherwell mate

As you know normally I'm a happy go lucky individual

^^^ Junior thicko.

Ha ha

Never heard that 1 before

How long did it take you to think that 1 up ?

Away & feed your new manager some pies as that's all he'll be good for

It winnae be the one's at Junior games that's for sure. :thumbsdown

Archived