Is football for families?

jimbaxters

I know, I know, it's a daft name for a topic and might well be shouted down as just daft generally but let me explain what I mean.

In light of the threads we had recently about how to attract kids to Junior football I started to wonder if it really is a healthy place for kids to be.

I know there are reasons why the game needs to have youngsters around as they are seen as the future but should they be there before the age of say 16 years old?

Some reasons why not:-

1) Children don't have the capacity to watch a match for 90 minutes and so have to find other ways of occupying themselves.This will lead to them either running around, craikin' for juice & crisps or just being fed up.

2) The language is way too industrial at matches. I know this may be the situation at home for some kids but I can remember taking my early teenage boys to games and cringing at some of the things being said either to officials or just in general conversation. For me there is no way this is good for children.

3) What I call the football mentality perpetuates and is inherent from an early age. It's generally accepted as the norm to hurl insults at players, officials or rival fans. Other sports don't have this problem. It's a football thing. Would it continue if kids didn't grow up hearing and seeing this at games?

A bit off the wall I know, but if we banned under 16's from games then it may just mean that crowds go up........or am I talking mince?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First let me say you are talking utter bollocks

Get them in as early as we can

My son has been going to the games since I pushed him in a Pram & he is now nearly 13 & still enjoys going to the games

He now does the half time raffle for the club

You would lose them to other pastimes or senior fitba if you didn't take them along

1st point yes at times he was a bit fed up but he went & played with his pals behind the goals when this happened or went to the shop

Industrial language ???

Don't know if you have heard of things such as tv or this new invention called the Internet?

Kids whether we like it or not are subject to such things as part of every day life whatever we try to do

A lot of them could teach me a few words

Your last point also kids will also pick up on this in every day life whether we like it or not in the form of the playground at school with the odd kid getting insults thrown at them

Not saying it's right but it's part of every day life

You are way off on this amigo

First let me say you are talking utter bollocks

Get them in as early as we can

My son has been going to the games since I pushed him in a Pram & he is now nearly 13 & still enjoys going to the games

He now does the half time raffle for the club

You would lose them to other pastimes or senior fitba if you didn't take them along

1st point yes at times he was a bit fed up but he went & played with his pals behind the goals when this happened or went to the shop

Industrial language ???

Don't know if you have heard of things such as tv or this new invention called the Internet?

Kids whether we like it or not are subject to such things as part of every day life whatever we try to do

A lot of them could teach me a few words

Your last point also kids will also pick up on this in every day life whether we like it or not in the form of the playground at school with the odd kid getting insults thrown at them

Not saying it's right but it's part of every day life

You are way off on this amigo

Aye, learning how to write would be a start.

Banning under 16's I've heard it all now jimbo :):huh:

Loads of young guys highlight of their weekend is going to their local game and playing out their very own World Cup final at half time on the park - admittedly not as much as we would like but we would have much less if we banned the poor wee sods from their fix :)

As for them being exposed to foul language etc - here's one I've never understood - there's a thing called a watershed on the TV from say 9pm which is to partly stop young kids being exposed to foul language ; however we have live football on all day at weekends and sometimes starting at noon involving both the old firm and the language from the crowd in these games is right out there for youngsters to hear while watching the game on TV . :huh:

It's Something I've never understood as it goes completely against the watershed and kids hear it non stop on their TV's, this must be ten times worse for them than what they will hear at a local junior game .

Banning under 16's I've heard it all now jimbo :):huh:

Loads of young guys highlight of their weekend is going to their local game and playing out their very own World Cup final at half time on the park - admittedly not as much as we would like but we would have much less if we banned the poor wee sods from their fix :)

As for them being exposed to foul language etc - here's one I've never understood - there's a thing called a watershed on the TV from say 9pm which is to partly stop young kids being exposed to foul language ; however we have live football on all day at weekends and sometimes starting at noon involving both the old firm and the language from the crowd in these games is right out there for youngsters to hear while watching the game on TV . :huh:

It's Something I've never understood as it goes completely against the watershed and kids hear it non stop on their TV's, this must be ten times worse for them than what they will hear at a local junior game .

Hopefully everyone realises I'm just trying to "rummell things up" a bit.

But I'm going to take issue with the swearing. No-one denies or pretends that kids aren't exposed to this stuff on TV or internet. The difference is that at local matches they see adults who they look up to and respect for guidance on an everyday basis behaving like fools and swearing uncontrollably. Also maybe having no kids there will allow adults to feel less inhibited....like in the pub or bookies.

Aye, learning how to write would be a start.

My son can write fine thanks very much

If your referring to me then maybe writing on a mobile phone at 6.45am can explain the punctuation errors

Quite sad that the grammar police are up this early though

Maybe concentrate on the thread at hand ya fannyspangle

I know, I know, it's a daft name for a topic and might well be shouted down as just daft generally but let me explain what I mean.

In light of the threads we had recently about how to attract kids to Junior football I started to wonder if it really is a healthy place for kids to be.

I know there are reasons why the game needs to have youngsters around as they are seen as the future but should they be there before the age of say 16 years old?

1) Children don't have the capacity to watch a match for 90 minutes and so have to find other ways of occupying themselves.This will lead to them either running around, craikin' for juice & crisps or just being fed up.

2) The language is way too industrial at matches. I know this may be the situation at home for some kids but I can remember taking my early teenage boys to games and cringing at some of the things being said either to officials or just in general conversation. For me there is no way this is good for children.

3) What I call the football mentality perpetuates and is inherent from an early age. It's generally accepted as the norm to hurl insults at players, officials or rival fans. Other sports don't have this problem. It's a football thing. Would it continue if kids didn't grow up hearing and seeing this at games?

A bit off the wall I know, but if we banned under 16's from games then it may just mean that crowds go up........or am I talking mince?

That would be an ecumenical matter.

I started going to games in the late 50s. I was 4 or 5 years of age.

Far to young to watch the actual football, but I identified true leaders on the pitch, & on the terracing.

I also learned lessons in life from the players, & fans which are still with me to this day.

Lots of bad behaviour, & dreadful language at some games, also lots of genuine friendships, & humour can be found.

Every game is a great occasion for me, roll on next Saturday.

I have taken my wife & kids to games. My wife reckons it should be played in the summer time, but what does she know.

I love taking my kids to Troon games.

They get in for free, love having a juice & a hot dog, love watching the football & when they get bored there is always a wee 5 a side game on the warm-up pitch behind the goals where all the kids eventually end up. It's great to get them into following the club & actually watching football in the flesh instead of thinking football is a TV programme.

I do agree with you about the language jimbaxter, but I usually move a bit further away from the crowd when I've got the kids with me so they're less likely to hear it.

I have never understood how swearing is made out to be such a big deal.

It's just f***ing words!!!

Watch junior football since I was about 6/7 and I don't think I ever learned anything there I didn't hear at school etc.

It's fairly obvious to anyone that effin and jeffin in front of kids is a bad thing.

I suspect that kids will hear few words at football they won't hear in the outside world... although it's probably less true of kids earlier than their teenage years... but most will not see enraged grown men hurling foul-mouthed rants of f'n & c'n filled invective at other grown men outwith fitba and brawls.

However, I do make this observation as someone who was neither raised nor lives in the West of Scotland...

Of course you're not talking mince,jjb :unsure2:,though I'm somehow sensing that you haven't been getting out much recently. :huh:

But I'm going to take issue with the swearing. No-one denies or pretends that kids aren't exposed to this stuff on TV or internet. The difference is that at local matches they see adults who they look up to and respect for guidance on an everyday basis behaving like fools and swearing uncontrollably. Also maybe having no kids there will allow adults to feel less inhibited....like in the pub or bookies.

Or even the dentist,jimbo....50 secs in :)

It's fairly obvious to anyone that effin and jeffin in front of kids is a bad thing.

What evidence do you have of that? Do kids that attend football matches end up 'bad' because they heard a few words that some people get their knickers in a knot about?

People class it as a bad thing as they get all worked up over a few words, but as said its just words - I can't imagine what harm is done by some person hearing a swear word. I doubt they turn into a murderer on the back of someone calling the linesman a useless C***.

There are a lot worse things in life kids can be doing that attending a football match with their parents - I am sure sitting at home playing computer games where there is extreme levels of violence in them is much worse and there would be more evidence of that impacting on a child's life than attending a game of football.

Jim usually like reading your posts on here but totally disagree with you... The crowds are dwindling throughout the country at Junior games and I have seen a big difference from when I started playing many moons ago. If you don't get kids in and around the club at an early age I can assure you 90% will not be interested in going in later years when they have computer games, live football, Celtic and Rangers, peer pressure and the opposite sex to interest them to name but a few.

I always use Ben Lewis at Kilwinning as a great example for getting your kids along, he has been supporting them since just a nipper , graduated to ball boy and now stars with them, is one of their biggest players and a gentleman to boot so the shouts over the years have done him no harm.

We need to encourage kids along to become the supporters of the future, maybe clubs need to look at better facilities and other entertainment to keep them amused whilst there. Thinking family areas, half time kids events, small play area etc

My daughter has been going to games with me since she was 3, heard some industrial language in her time, been with me and my palls on scottish cup days out and in now going to uni to study medicine . It done her a lot of harm !!

My daughter has been going to games with me since she was 3, heard some industrial language in her time, been with me and my palls on scottish cup days out and in now going to uni to study medicine how to make vodka for me.. It done her a lot of harm !!

^_^

Archived