Queens v Livingston

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After the first half I was sitting thinking how does this keep happening to us, thought we played ok first half, created 2 or 3 good chances and lose a goal to go in 1-0 down after I felt we had most of the play, it was like the last two games all over again, I did say at half time that if we continue to do what we are doing but take our chances for a change this game could turn around, wish I'd stuck a tenner on it.

We controlled the 2nd half, Pittman scoring so early on in the half helped as I think it boosted the players and the small following of fans we had, the 2nd is a well worked goal from our perspective, good play to get Glen in behind, he puts a good cross in and White puts us ahead, Buchanans first is goal of the game, fantastic to cut inside and side foot it into the top corner.

A result like this has been coming for a number of weeks as we've been controlling games but not taking our chances, the last two games we've dominated and picked up 0 points, the table would look so different if we'd got the points we'd deserved but that's football.

I thought Sheerin had a good game holding up the ball and bringing people into play but id be starting with White and Buchanan, linked up really well and are much more of a goal threat together, defensively I thought we looked solid enough also felt Longridge had his best game for us since signing, but IMO I felt Gibbons was a standout, after all the nonsense he's had to listen to this week he really put in a top shift, he could've hid from tackles but he didn't, he got stuck in and really pulled the strings for us in the middle.

Big confidence booster that result today going into the next lot of games against Raith and Morton.

Not for me he wasnt. Hutton was easily our best player at Ibrox.

At least one newspaper awarded him it though, which makes the suggestion that he has never done anything good fairly laughable.

He was far from the worst today, in fact our capitulation only really started once he went off the field.

Not really. We've been like that for a while tbh, just that someone has finally punished us. But yes definitely two poor sides with Livi being the better of the two. I don't think it was anything other than two poor sides tbh. Both will be bottom half come the end of the season.

Second half was easily our worst performance of the season.

You're right, though, in that it wasnt a one off, which is worrying. If I were a Livy fan, though, I wouldnt be getting too excited about bullying Queens into a result

The team is pedestrian like, why we never signed a right back during the summer god knows, the bench today Heffernan?? Does he get paid extra for being on the bench old pals act, then you have Oliver get him starting along with Kidd & Coogans or Smith and add some urgency into the team.

Team for me next week

Atkinson

Kidd Hutton Higgins Marshall

Harris Millar Jacobs Oliver

Smith Hilson

Subs Lyle Coogans Russell Pickard Hooper Conroy Thomson.

Manager James Fowler time to prove himself before its too late cause to be fair I think anyone could have managed the team he inherited last season.

One big difference from that team apart from the obvious quality is the attitude/effort from the players it must improve Now!!

You peddle this right back line constantly. It really isnt the problem.

That team is absolutely all over the place!

I've said for weeks our problem has been the midfield. The biggest problem being we don't have a settled midfield. How are the players supposed to learn each others game if the line-up keeps chopping and changing?! How many times this season has the exact same team been played for more than 2 weeks?

I don't agree about the Thomson comment. I'm really not seeing this with him. For me he commands his box well and has made some superb saves this season. I never saw the 4th goal but there was no way he could have done anything to stop the others from going in today. If I'm being honest I wouldn't have Clark back in place of Thomson and I liked Clark.

My comment was tongue-in-cheek. Hope everything improves soon m8 :)

Thomson has done better the last few games in coming out for balls on the ground, but he doesnt command his box when the ball is in the air at all. There were several high balls into the box today that I thought he should have come for but didnt. I agree that he wasnt to blame for any of the goals today, although Id like to see Whites goal again, as he couldnt have been more than 3 yards out when he headed it in, and Im not desperate for him to be dropped, but I do think a lot of the lack of confidence in defence comes from him.

Pickard was man of the match last week.

He did well but he clearly wasnt

I said during the week though that a game where we would be expected to have more possession and create more isnt really suited to him. I think I was right

Yes and Conroy this week!!

Yes, that was hilarious.

While the injury list has been a big factor todays performance was really awful. We didnt really deserve to be ahead in first half but the second half pounding was hardly unexpected.

Worringly we are unimaginative in attack and the defence is paper thin.

For me neither Harris or Conroy would be starters - neither has any dig and they leave the midfield exposed.

I suspect we are going to be in the bottom four - i actually thought we would be challenging for play off position but that looks a forlorn hope and in all honesty relegation cant be ruled out.

Sometimes you get fluke results having not played that badly but this was not one of them and the manner of defeat and the underlying performance should be sending shock waves though the home dressing room.

I've said for weeks our problem has been the midfield. The biggest problem being we don't have a settled midfield. How are the players supposed to learn each others game if the line-up keeps chopping and changing?! How many times this season has the exact same team been played for more than 2 weeks?

I don't agree about the Thomson comment. I'm really not seeing this with him. For me he commands his box well and has made some superb saves this season. I never saw the 4th goal but there was no way he could have done anything to stop the others from going in today. If I'm being honest I wouldn't have Clark back in place of Thomson and I liked Clark.

I know it's all about opinions but to say you wouldn't have Clark back ahead of Thomson is a bold statement. He has been at fault for several goals this season -including at least 2 today- to say he commands his area also worries me. His distribution is poor, his positioning is poor, although I think he is a decent shot stopper, but then most 'keepers should be. Don't think the defence are confident with him in goal either and to me it's pretty easy to see why he conceded so many goals last season. If not straight away, Jimbo should be getting a start pretty soon.

My comment was tongue-in-cheek. Hope everything improves soon m8 :)

Depressingly lightweight.

Hoped we might be good enough for midtable at the beginning of the season. Nah! I can see us in the mire by Xmas, if the last two home games are anything to go by (Morton win and Livi defeat).

I knew we were weaker after losing 6 first team players before the start of the season but I have been patient and tried to give players and manager time.

I now see how much weaker we are this season and it's worrying.

The struggling St Mirren team came to Palmerston and dominated the whole game and now Livi, who have found it difficult to buy a goal, have had a confidence boosting session of shooting in.

Our midfield had a dire 90mins. Passengers plus inexperience plus ball winner at right back - yikes - not looking forward to next week's 6 pointer.

That was awful. We were marginally the better side in the first half but were far from convincing. We can't seem to keep possession for a prolonged period of time. Livingston were far better than us in the second half. They played quite a few long balls and their side is certainly not lacking in height. We looked powderpuff in comparison. I thought only Marshall and Hilston emerged with any credit whatsoever although Thomson didn't do much wrong. Our midfield was terrible throughout. No skill, no creativity, no pace. Bottom 4 is definite based on that woeful performance.

Two poor teams today, we were just worse than Livy. At 1-0 we looked relatively comfortable but the inability to defend set pieces, or balls into the box was evident all game. In the second half it came back to bite us and once Livy got a sniff of a result there was only one winner. We just dont have the dig or the creativity to control games. Today we tried to match Livy and play long balls forward but we dont have the players to do it.

For me, the midfield is the big issue. Nowhere near enough energy or quality in the centre and Conroy is an absolute passenger out wide, particularly on the right. The defence is looking shakier every week and Thomson doesnt inspire any confidence at all.

A lot of work to be done

Pretty much this, except I thought only poor finishing prevented Livi from being ahead at half-time.

Another woeful home performance. Pattern yet again was little attacking threat combined with losing poor goals. It almost looks like conceding goals doesn't matter to them. There also looks like a complete lack of heart and fight in that team. I know they had a hard fought defeat last week, but Gus's shower managed a draw at Aberdeen and that terrible Morton side of 2 seasons ago beat Celtic. So even duff teams can throw in the odd battling performance when it suits them. To me, that team has nothing going for it. Even if you have no ability, the very least you expect is effort. That was non-existent.

After 12 games in the relegation season we were 7 points behind 4th.

Two poor teams today, we were just worse than Livy. At 1-0 we looked relatively comfortable but the inability to defend set pieces, or balls into the box was evident all game. In the second half it came back to bite us and once Livy got a sniff of a result there was only one winner. We just dont have the dig or the creativity to control games. Today we tried to match Livy and play long balls forward but we dont have the players to do it.

For me, the midfield is the big issue. Nowhere near enough energy or quality in the centre and Conroy is an absolute passenger out wide, particularly on the right. The defence is looking shakier every week and Thomson doesnt inspire any confidence at all.

A lot of work to be done

Problem for Queens is there are 7 poor teams in this league and from what I've seen Livi are better than at least 5 of them.

Problem for Queens is there are 7 poor teams in this league and from what I've seen Livi are better than at least 5 of them.

Steady now. You gave us a hiding today but there's no way you're a top 5 team ;)

Young guys are always going to be up and down in their form. If we are going to accept you players into our team we need to have patience. Mistakes and form dips will happen.

Likewise with a young management team. You have to wonder whether Skelton was the correct choice as assistant.

However for me it isn't the young players that are letting us down. Higgins was a disaster yesterday and has been ropey all season. Conroy is the invisible man, if you take out set-pieces I probably had as many touches of the ball as he did yesterday. Millar can't be blamed for yesterday but he too has been awful all season and Dowie hasn't been his usual reliable self. Lyle seems to want to try to lead by example, and has scored some vital goals, but even he can't carry the team at 34 years old or whatever he is.

We still look like a team of strangers who don't look very willing to fight for each other. I can't remember what the score was at the time but Harris missed a reasonably good chance in the second half where he chickened out of a one-on-one with the Livi goalkeeper. He then proceeded to turn around and stroll back into position without a care in the world. If that had been Carmichael or Reilly they would have been swinging arms and legs in frustration and having a word with themselves.

I still genuinely believe we have a group of very capable players for this level. That in itself is part of the problem, they are a group of individuals, not a team which I suppose was always going to be the challenge when replacing so many of them.

Likewise with a young management team. You have to wonder whether Skelton was the correct choice as assistant.

However for me it isn't the young players that are letting us down. Higgins was a disaster yesterday and has been ropey all season. Conroy is the invisible man, if you take out set-pieces I probably had as many touches of the ball as he did yesterday. Millar can't be blamed for yesterday but he too has been awful all season and Dowie hasn't been his usual reliable self. Lyle seems to want to try to lead by example, and has scored some vital goals, but even he can't carry the team at 34 years old or whatever he is.

We still look like a team of strangers who don't look very willing to fight for each other. I can't remember what the score was at the time but Harris missed a reasonably good chance in the second half where he chickened out of a one-on-one with the Livi goalkeeper. He then proceeded to turn around and stroll back into position without a care in the world. If that had been Carmichael or Reilly they would have been swinging arms and legs in frustration and having a word with themselves.

I still genuinely believe we have a group of very capable players for this level. That in itself is part of the problem, they are a group of individuals, not a team which I suppose was always going to be the challenge when replacing so many of them.

Agreed. Capable players who couldn't care less are worse than rotten ones who give their all.

Have to say I enjoy Fowler's playground tactic of playing all the forwards when we're a couple of goals behind. He'd probably have brought Jimmy Robertson on as well if he had found him.

Archived