Uber

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Use it all the time, it's fantastic. Although taxis here are epically shite; some take cards, some don't and usually the poor bugger driving the thing for less than minimum wage is fresh off the boat from Haiti and you have to navigate the whole journey because he's got no idea. If Glasgow's getting the full bhoona, there's also UberBlack, which sends something posh and usually German, and UberFamily which usually gets you some sort of Dodge minivan - fantastic for going to the airport with all your cases.

The 'price bump at peak times' is a bit exaggerated - we went from Brickell to South Beach at midnight last Saturday and it was $12 - roughly half a yellow taxi, although I appreciate Glasgow private hires are primarily money laundering operations so the actual fares are pretty cheap as far as taxis go.

Apparently it's more than that, you get a photo of the car itself, the plate and the person driving it!

You get a photo of the driver, and a description of the car, so you'll get his pic and then 'Javier, blue Toyota Camry, BXS-F04' or whatever the plate is

You know how much you'll pay in advance. You can see right away what's available and how long it'll take to get a taxi. I believe they also send you a picture of the car's license plate.

In short, it's just a little more effort for many rather than having to phone.

Has life become that you cant wait more than you need for a taxi. many a night of boxing was required before such men rode the highways first. then there was the stragglers running about.

Kan I app t get back? 8)

I only recently twigged just how much cheaper private hire is than Glasgow Taxis (about 2/3 the price from West End to my flat it normally is) and now use Network primarily, but I think the main advantage of Uber is a fixed fee known and paid in advance of booking.

The savings as set against a Hackney in London is apparently absolutely fucking mahoosive. 'mon the free market I say.

Has life become that you cant wait more than you need for a taxi. many a night of boxing was required before such men rode the highways first. then there was the stragglers running about.

Kan I app t get back? 8)

I don't have the app. I barely use taxis

Took it after a night out in London to Surrey and it cost probably less than half of what we were getting quoted by the 'normal' taxi drivers. I've heard a lot of criticism of Uber though with regards to how it conducts itself as a business - I'm therefore a bit reluctant to use it and would rather not.

Uber is great - the cars are always spotless and more luxurious than normal taxis, and are generally no more expensive than a normal private hire. In Newcastle all of the ubers have satnav built in, as well as tracking of your journey via the app so you can track your ETA. Removes the need to have cash on you too as it is a fixed fee which you know beforehand that comes out your account.

Always assumed it was just a thing that anyone could sign up as a driver and just go 'on duty' as and when they desired. Granted, this is from hearing about the US version on Chris Jericho's podcast. Was behind a car tonight with the UBER sticker on the rear windscreen but it had one of those Glasgow City Council plates on it aswell so guessing actual taxis are involved aswell.

Always assumed it was just a thing that anyone could sign up as a driver and just go 'on duty' as and when they desired. Granted, this is from hearing about the US version on Chris Jericho's podcast.

That is how it works here. Although Uber's vetting process isn't that strenuous, it's just a case of filling out online forms. They way they seem to police the drivers is by the star rating system; if the driver gets a load of terrible reviews then they'll suspend them.

That is how it works here. Although Uber's vetting process isn't that strenuous, it's just a case of filling out online forms. They way they seem to police the drivers is by the star rating system; if the driver gets a load of terrible reviews then they'll suspend them.

They need to apply to the council to get a private hire plate before they can work for uber here as far as I know which mans all the drivers will be checked / vetted to some degree.

Used this for first time last night. Due to a lovely promo code I got £15 off ride so home for £2.83 which is fucking lovely. Took a bit to get it booked but that's unsurprising at 1am at the weekend. Good set up though.

Speaking to driver and one thing I'd say is definitely avoid is being sick in the car. He told me they'll take payment from you for cleaning and lost work hours which is fair fucks.

Used this for first time last night. Due to a lovely promo code I got £15 off ride so home for £2.83 which is fucking lovely. Took a bit to get it booked but that's unsurprising at 1am at the weekend. Good set up though.

Speaking to driver and one thing I'd say is definitely avoid is being sick in the car. He told me they'll take payment from you for cleaning and lost work hours which is fair fucks.

Some top advice there, I'd also say avoid shitting your pants or masturbating furiously in the back seat.

I used it to get to the airport on Saturday morning, was a freebie as my first ride (lol etc) , would have been £10 which is a wee bit cheaper than a private hire and a big bit cheaper than a hack.

Only thing was that on the way back I was told to go to car park 2 and search from there but it wasn't picking up anything at all when I got off the plane last night, don't know if there's certain areas that are blocked off as when I moved the pin to the centre of Paisley it was showing as cars available.

Uber also rate passengers, so if you are a complete dick you can end up getting barred from Uber.

Archived