Uber

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's an easy way to do drug runs so it'll be of great use in Glasgow.

The whole 'I have sweeties, GET IN THE FUCKING VAN' element of it makes it a no from me.

I thought the cars had a private hire plate and the drivers were all checked the same way as any other taxi ie same as private hire firms just a different way of getting one.

I think so. They way I've read it (in Glasgow anyway) if you want to become a driver you need a license from the council and then you basically drive for uber if they accept you.

All that happens is they match you up with punters needing a taxi and take a cut of the price of the journey.

Aye it's decent. They can and do usually bump the prices up at busier times but it's far easier to track and reliably order (at least in London) than with regular taxi firms. Allegedly it's total shite to work for though with drivers having to work constantly with no breaks just to make enough.

I don't really see the benefit of this (at least in Glasgow) unless it offers fares lower than the standard private hire rates.

Network and Hampden to name two operators already have an app where you can book, track etc.

What's the benefit to over just phoning a taxi? Not sure I'd be keen on paying up front.

You know how much you'll pay in advance. You can see right away what's available and how long it'll take to get a taxi. I believe they also send you a picture of the car's license plate.

In short, it's just a little more effort for many rather than having to phone.

Hampden cabs are a bunch of shysters. I've just moved from Mount Florida and we had to give up phoning them as there was never a cab in the area (despite living spitting distance from the stadium) or they just tell you cab would be there shortly, you'd book, phone to check after 10/15 minutes to be told be at least 40-60 minutes.

I hope uber takes off and put Hampden out of business.

Archived