Abortion law to be devolved to Holyrood

Fide

So Fluffy Mundell has amended the Scotland Bill to allow Holyrood to control laws over abortion. At present, the Scottish Governent don't plan to change any of it.

BUT.

Check out Kezia's indignation.

4sejt9R7_normal.png @kdugdalemsp
Ministers behind closed doors have decided to devolve abortion. Did anyone stop to ask Scotland's women? Lack of consultation fuels fears

She clearly thinks the decision is best left in the hands of the men who run Westminster, instead of the women who run Holyrood.

Devolution actually seems like a good idea when you see what Jeremy Hunt wants to do.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/9591141/Cut-legal-abortion-limit-to-12-weeks-Jeremy-Hunt-says.html

The Health Secretary said he believed there is a moral case for cutting the current time limit of 24 weeks.

Although he stressed that the Coalition has no plans to attempt changes in abortion rules, his comments will encourage MPs and campaigners pushing for a new Commons vote on the issue.

“Everyone looks at the evidence and comes to a view about when they think that moment is, and my own view is that 12 weeks is the right point for it,” Mr Hunt told The Times.

So Fluffy Mundell has amended the Scotland Bill to allow Holyrood to control laws over abortion. At present, the Scottish Governent don't plan to change any of it.

BUT.

Check out Kezia's indignation.

4sejt9R7_normal.png

Kezia Dugdale @kdugdalemsp

Ministers behind closed doors have decided to devolve abortion. Did anyone stop to ask Scotland's women? Lack of consultation fuels fears

She clearly thinks the decision is best left in the hands of the men who run Westminster, instead of the women who run Holyrood.

Devolution actually seems like a good idea when you see what Jeremy Hunt wants to do.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/9591141/Cut-legal-abortion-limit-to-12-weeks-Jeremy-Hunt-says.html

The Health Secretary said he believed there is a moral case for cutting the current time limit of 24 weeks.

Although he stressed that the Coalition has no plans to attempt changes in abortion rules, his comments will encourage MPs and campaigners pushing for a new Commons vote on the issue.

Everyone looks at the evidence and comes to a view about when they think that moment is, and my own view is that 12 weeks is the right point for it, Mr Hunt told The Times.

What kind of pathetic, cringing, conservative Uncle Tam is horrified at the thought of legislation over Scottish women's right to choose being worked out in Scotland?

For that matter, what kind of pathetic, cringing, conservative Uncle Tam is so bereft of ambition that her goal in life is to be a branch office manager of Scotland with as little power as possible?

The answer to both these questions is Kezia Dugdale.

What kind of pathetic, cringing, conservative Uncle Tam is horrified at the thought of legislation over Scottish women's right to choose being worked out in Scotland?

For that matter, what kind of pathetic, cringing, conservative Uncle Tam is so bereft of ambition that her goal in life is to be a branch office manager of Scotland with as little power as possible?

The answer to both these questions is Kezia Dugdale.

She's fuelling fears.

In the Smith Commission I understand that the Labour camp were particularly reticent about the devolution of abortion. Donald Dewar didn't want the Scottish Parliament to have it because he feared it would turn Holyrood into a target for the "pro-life" lobby. The Greens and Lib Dems were keen in Smith to have it devolved, the Tories didn't particularly care and the SNP were a bit subdued by it.

It's good that it's been devolved. I for one hope that the next step is to devolve the Misuse of Drugs Act at some point in the next Parliament. Timing isn't essential, given there appear to be moves towards a regulated cannabis market that they might want to get through UK-wide first, but I think it's ridiculous that the Scottish Parliament is responsible generally both for the criminal law and for healthcare provision in Scotland, but controlled substances, which definitionally involve the interaction between the two, is kept as a matter for the UK Parliament. Other countries, like the US, seem to cope just fine with different drugs laws in different jurisdictions, and we already have different laws on tobacco and alcohol, which is devolved to Holyrood, so it's time we took powers not just that we don't want to use, but also ones we can use really quite radically to shake-up public policy.

It's good that it's been devolved. I for one hope that the next step is to devolve the Misuse of Drugs Act at some point in the next Parliament. Timing isn't essential, given there appear to be moves towards a regulated cannabis market that they might want to get through UK-wide first, but I think it's ridiculous that the Scottish Parliament is responsible generally both for the criminal law and for healthcare provision in Scotland, but controlled substances, which definitionally involve the interaction between the two, is kept as a matter for the UK Parliament. Other countries, like the US, seem to cope just fine with different drugs laws in different jurisdictions, and we already have different laws on tobacco and alcohol, which is devolved to Holyrood, so it's time we took powers not just that we don't want to use, but also ones we can use really quite radically to shake-up public policy.

It would be funny to see Gretna become some kind of Cannabis Mecca for the English and Welsh.

I'd have as much hope for the Tories to liberalise the drug laws in this country as I would the SNP although admittedly I'm only basing this on their attitude to drinking.

On topic I've already saw a Rangers fan claim that the Catholic Church has far too much influence in this country for abortion law to be devolved.

I must admit I do have concerns of having pro-life lobbies swarming around Holyrood. At the end of the day the abortion argument comes down to when you believe a life starts. Is it the instant sperm enters the woman's body, or when the baby exits the womb? I think most people including me believe it's somewhere in-between.

I have to laugh at anyone thinking there is any chance of the SNP legalising cannabis. They've already declared war on the binge drinking culture.

The only way we would ever get weed legalised would be if the Lib Dems somehow get into coalition again.

I have to laugh at anyone thinking there is any chance of the SNP legalising cannabis. They've already declared war on the binge drinking culture.

The only way we would ever get weed legalised would be if the Lib Dems somehow get into coalition again.

Binge drinking is a huge problem in Scotland.

Smoking weed in your home whilst watching the tele ? Not so much.

Archived