Should Strachan Go?

DeeTillEhDeh

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DAVIDB69

He should definitely go. He's not a good manager and the team's performances have regressed steadily since an admittedly impressive start.

That said, we've got one of the most generous World Cup qualifying groups in recent memory, in which England will most likely win every single game, and we really should be finishing second.

Strachan's reputation has taken a hammering this campaign - our group is one of the easier groups we've had, although not a patch on the Welsh and Northern Irish groups, granted - but if he's prepared to be a little less stubborn we'll finish second.

Slovakia and Slovenia are miles better than us.

Why should we be finishing second the squad is fourth rate and needs gutted.

Guest DAVIDB69

Slovakia and Slovenia are miles better than us.

Why should we be finishing second the squad is fourth rate and needs gutted.

As so the delusion begins again

Guest DAVIDB69

Can't argue with that. The only problem is who to appoint and which people will be making the decision of who to appoint. Also, there are only so many players to pick from.

There are only so many players to pick from due to the selection policy though .

Young players need to be given a chance

Young players are not 27 or 28 as we describe them

We need to get away from championship world thought process.

Maybe non Celtic spl players won't be good enough, but until we open our eyes a bit more in friendlies we won't know

Guest DAVIDB69

Did you just reply to your own post without logging into a different account?

My error what I meant to say is the delusions start again if we think we should be finishing second in the wc group

I take it this isn't a serious suggestion

I'd imagine it's not serious as in there's no way AN would leave his EPL gig to manage us.

As a manager capable of bringing an iffy team together to play well beyond the sum of its parts, he would actually be a great candidate.

There is no way we are qualifying for the World Cup under Strachan and the squad. That's depressing as anything.

Saying that comparing us to Nothern Ireland who had the easiest group ever is mental. Germany and Poland will do well in France next year.

If Germany had done a Spain and hammered everyone in the group we would have qualified. We took that for granted, that and at least a point in Georgia.

Strachan should stay because there is no better alternative. Unless Brendad Rodgers fancies the gig.

I'd imagine it's not serious as in there's no way AN would leave his EPL gig to manage us.

As a manager capable of bringing an iffy team together to play well beyond the sum of its parts, he would actually be a great candidate.

Of course he would.

Should Strachan go? 100% yes. No point in him carrying on whatsoever, sick of hearing he has 'restored the feel good factor', has he f**k. We have yet again failed to qualify for a finals and find ourselves finishing behind the ROI, simply not good enough.

Will the SFA have the balls to get shot of him?

We need major changes both at the top and in our selection policy. Why we keep pick proven shite players like Fletcher I don't know. We need to pick player like Rhodes who has scored more goals in his past two clubs than Fletcher has in his career. Who would I get Frank de Boer good foreign coach that has some experience of Scottish football, either him or Eduardo Berizzo has won favor for guiding celta vigo to their highest finish we could offer him a better pay packet I would think. He has a win percentage of 59.9%

This is exactly the problem. Always keen to compare favourable results yet ignore the ones which dont sit so easily. Scotland aren't out because Germany took Ireland and Poland for mugs....they are out because of a dreadful attitude to basic preparation and focus on a job in hand. The current lot are seriously weak-willed and constantly on.the lookout for someone to shoulder the collective resonsibility. Three managers paid for this approach from still-serving players, many of whom have practically downed tools on their own supporters to get them sacked. The Polish equaliser was as laughable as it was predictable....and i'll say it again....footballing royalty like Lewandowski skimming across turf with an absolute fucking no-mark to.equalise against plankton like Scotland should be a lesson for those ungrateful p***ks.....but it won't be. 7 points lost by Germany isnt the travesty of justice the apologists want it to be....they just went to two proper teams who do their talking when it matters.

This ^^.

When they said they hadn't any special tactics for Lewandowski I didn't realise this also included not marking him.

There are only so many players to pick from due to the selection policy though .

Young players need to be given a chance

Young players are not 27 or 28 as we describe them

We need to get away from championship world thought process.

Maybe non Celtic spl players won't be good enough, but until we open our eyes a bit more in friendlies we won't know

Please can you name the young players you want included, and their ages?

The world of football usually takes a short-term view of things. Bringing through a load of young players would probably mean righting-off a couple of qualifying campaigns, before those campaigns had even started. Obviously someone from the SFA would have to come out and articulate this to the Scotland support. Then they may have to explain why it hasn't worked and we're still failing to qualify, six years down the line.

Some of the comments here are a bit OTT I think. Is it really embarrassing finishing fourth behind Germany (the World Champions, remember), Poland and Ireland? Looking at the players they have and then the players we have, they actually are better than us. Fair enough we really should be level with Ireland, and our results against them suggest we should be better than them.

We did give them a fight, drawing home and away with Poland, and getting four points from six against Ireland. We also gave Germany a good game and were probably unlucky to lose the game in Dortmund. The only game that let us down was Georgia away.

We are Scotland. We aren't a top footballing nation. Yes, most of our players play in the top flight of English football, but none of them actually play for a top class team. All we are good for is rolling up our sleeves and fighting for qualification, and yet again we have fallen short. Maybe one day our luck will change, but changing the manager every campaign isn't going to help.

Stability is the name of the game here. WGS will learn from the mistakes made in this campaign and gently phase out under performing EPL superstars or guys he trusted to do a job. We were 10 seconds away from getting the result we required, coupled with a freakish Irish performance against the Germans. In Gord we trust. I'm 100% behind him and a lot of you guys are in need of a fucking shake.

A lot of my friends are of a similar opinion to you OFFS, and they're entitled to their opinion, but their reasons are absolutely mental. Some claim he's made things more personable between players and fans (my arse he has.....he's still a nippy b*****d) others tend to focus on how bad his predecessors were. Are those reasons enough to continue despite what will be our worst placing in a group under one manager since fucking 1987??? On the matter of personnel, and ultimately Strachan's ability to get the best out of them, one saving grace which kept Broon, Smith and Big Eck out the dughoose after crushing results was the fact you knew the team ran through brick walls for the manager as much as the fans, the country or even themselves. Strachan imo has protected enough of them from well-deserved pelters for Ireland away and Tbilisi, but can you honestly say he's been repaid??? Very little identity or teamwork has been on show since probably the Poland away fixture....individual moments of quality kept us in it until now, but its the lack of application required by a wise-cracking owl of a gaffer which has ultimately led to the position we will find ourselves. He tried, he failed....move on.

A lot of my friends are of a similar opinion to you OFFS, and they're entitled to their opinion, but their reasons are absolutely mental. Some claim he's made things more personable between players and fans (my arse he has.....he's still a nippy b*****d) others tend to focus on how bad his predecessors were. Are those reasons enough to continue despite what will be our worst placing in a group under one manager since fucking 1987??? On the matter of personnel, and ultimately Strachan's ability to get the best out of them, one saving grace which kept Broon, Smith and Big Eck out the dughoose after crushing results was the fact you knew the team ran through brick walls for the manager as much as the fans, the country or even themselves. Strachan imo has protected enough of them from well-deserved pelters for Ireland away and Tbilisi, but can you honestly say he's been repaid??? Very little identity or teamwork has been on show since probably the Poland away fixture....individual moments of quality kept us in it until now, but its the lack of application required by a wise-cracking owl of a gaffer which has ultimately led to the position we will find ourselves. He tried, he failed....move on.

Very little teamwork since Poland away? Really.

Archived