Should Strachan Go?

DeeTillEhDeh

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd give him the World Cup qualifiers. We're not expected to qualify anyway, if we do it's a bonus.

If we do badly, punt him and give the new bloke a shot at the far easier task of qualifying for the Euros.

Out of interest, does anyone know what sort of cash the SFA make, and how much they could offer a potential successor?

Or give a new guy chance to bring in youth and build a squad to have a punt at the next euros.

We can't! Let's just stick with mediocrity forever because there's no suggestion as to who can replace him, that's how it works, right?

It's a scary world out there, best just find some fat mess that will keep me and stay indoors.

Or give a new guy chance to bring in youth and build a squad to have a punt at the next euros.

If the World Cup qualifiers are going badly then, yes. I'd be perfectly content to let a new guy finish the campaign off with no real pressure before having a real go at the Euros. If we start well, obviously Strachan will have earned the right to try to get us to the finals.

. You kidding? Greece are winless after 9 games and have finished bottom of the like below the Faroes.

Brutal.

Brutal is an understatement. Greece have scored only 2 goals and they lost twice to the Faroes. Their 3 points came from 3 no score draws. Bit like my beloved Jags before we beat the the Arabs on Saturday.

Wgs has built a good team spirit and probably picked the best players available squad wise but team wise no. Picking Fletcher tonight who hasn't kicked his own arse since Gibraltar while we've dropped crucial points was a sign of complacency while not not picking moloney who's carried us the whole campaign? Eh? Like any Scottish manager he's too cautious. Has to be more outgoing. We have a solid base so why not go out a swagger a bit more? Third best to Ireland and Poland? Should never be happening. The results for the others against Germany have been the real killer where we've had no cutting edge against anyone. And we'll not get it if we stay the same. Probably need a non Scot who, for want of a better term, maybe doesn't give a f**k? Or as much of one to lose face?

. You kidding? Greece are winless after 9 games and have finished bottom of the like below the Faroes.

Brutal.

Again we lost to Georgia they make greece look 1970 brazil ffs....we have conceded 12 goals in a meh group

He's been a definite improvement over Levein and Burley, but I'm beginning to lean towards thinking he should go. I wouldn't be too disappointed if we did keep him on, but some of his decisions over the campaign have been strange at times and while we've not been awful, we've been far from brilliant. Struggling to think of a decent replacement who'd want the job, but then a lack of options shouldn't be used as a reason for keeping a manager if you genuinely don't think they're good enough.

I'd keep him, been a more positive campaign than any in recent years, he is a decent manager with very very limited players, doing as well as could be expected.

Meh, we've improved undoubtedly, but you could argue that our squad's not particularly any worse than Ireland's (also shown by the fact that we have a better record against them), and they're still a lot better than us. We've still ended up a few points of even a play-off spot, and that's not really good enough for us.

People complaining that Straxhan picked Steven Fletcher tonight. Eh whit. Don't exactly think that was the problem.

Fletcher played well tonight and did well to get his goal, but he's put in some dire performances throughout the qualifying campaign and wasn't really doing enough to justify a place in our starting lineup, even though Strachan persisted with him nevertheless.

Strachan should be offered a renewal. If he decides against it and wants to leave at the end of the contract, fair enough. But if he wants to stay, he should be allowed to. If we had someone clearly better waiting in the wings (which we absolutely don't) I'd be more for it, but the only reason we're here talking about being out rather than taking it to Sunday is a freakish win for Ireland against the World Champions. He almost did the job perfectly tonight, which would leave one (admittedly huge) blemish on his card. We have been put in a group which could see the World Champions finish in the playoff position, however unlikely. Remember us all saying how Germany would cuff everyone?

I would give him the WC 2018 campaign. Who else is gonna come in and do even better with the players we have available to us? We were guff under Levein and Burley. We have improved massively as a team under Strachan. Everyone was shouting for him to become manager and now people want him out. Maybe that's the problem, changing manager every time we don't get what we want, that isn't exactly gonna make us better.

Meh, we've improved undoubtedly, but you could argue that our squad's not particularly any worse than Ireland's (also shown by the fact that we have a better record against them), and they're still a lot better than us. We've still ended up a few points of even a play-off spot, and that's not really good enough for us.

Or is it that RoI's shitey hoofball style is simply more effective over the course of a group?

Perhaps we'd be best going back to the smith/McLeish approach. We've got a fair few strikers who could thrive from that approach. Not a pleasant prospect football-wise, but maybe we'd grind out more results that way?

Might be worth doing until we turn out a freak world class player like bale.

ETA: Cannigia must have knobbed a fair few burds in Dundee in 1999? Our saviour is out there!

Why does he have to play this lone tall target man pish anyway? This only works when the lone striker can take the ball down and hold play up, Fletcher cant! We have goal scorers on the bench, he has one tactic and its wrong!

Archived