Annoying political soundbite phrases

Antlion

Which hackneyed cliched phrases do politicians use that really get on your balls? For my money, the following make me want to punch a nun:

We need to look at this "in the round".

"That's not what we're hearing on the doorsteps."

"That's not what's happening on the ground."

"Look, ..."

"Hardworking people who want to get on".

"Pooling and sharing resources".

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"That's not the question, what's important is..."

"Hardworking people"

"settled will of the people"

"dockworker in Liverpool"

And many more.

Obviously, NOTHING from any SNP MPs or MSPs annoys me. It's only the other parties.

:)

"Ever closer union": a bogeyman phrase designed to make people scared of the EU - but somehow the much, much closer union of the U.K. is a grand old thing.

"Open door immigration" (in fact, any rhetoric that is couched in terms of opening and closing doors on people is pretty cunty).

"British values" (what even are they? A cursory look at history would suggest that they're moral superiority, religious superiority, colonial superiority and xenophobia).

"I am a proud and patriotic Scot, but" (if it's followed by a list of reasons why Scotland should be absorbed into a completely different nation state. It's a bit like a "proud and patriotic" Frenchman advocating France joining Spain and Portugal in a United Kingdom of Iberia, thus giving up its parliament and being represented as a minor region in its new sovereign parliament in Madrid).

"That's not the question, what's important is..."

"Hardworking people"

"settled will of the people"

"dockworker in Liverpool"

And many more.

Obviously, NOTHING from any SNP MPs or MSPs annoys me. It's only the other parties.

:)

Similarly, "the most powerful devolved parliament in the world".

Cringe.

"Our nuclear deterrent". Because apparently repeatedly just continually calling something a "deterrent" means it is ipso facto a deterrent, regardless of whether or not one can prove it is actually deterring anything in particular.

"Bairns not bombs"

"Long term economic plan"

"Long term economic plan" (thankfully) seems to have died with the Tory majority, taking with it "let's get on with finishing the job" and "finishing the job of cleaning up the mess left to us by the last government".

"Long term economic plan" (thankfully) seems to have died with the Tory majority, taking with it "let's get on with finishing the job" and "finishing the job of cleaning up the mess left to us by the last government".

It's quite worrying that we remember them all, because that's the point really and why they keep repeating them.

It's quite worrying that we remember them all, because that's the point really and why they keep repeating them.

Politics, brought to you by McMann and Tate Advertising Inc ...

Does make me wonder if politics has always been the power-broking version of comparethemarket adverts or if the penchant for annoying but continually-replayed buzz phrases is a new thing.

Archived