Football Manager

CK

I started playing it again a few weeks ago, with Clyde. I never made any new signings. In my first game, a challenge cup v East Stirling, I won 7-0, with a hat-trick from sub Aaron Conway, who came on with 20 miunutes to go. I then went 13 games without a defeat, losing to St Mirren 2-1(I had mainly youngsters out and they scored in injury time :ph34r: ) I got the **** in the League Cup at Ibrox, and foolishly went with 3 up front and lost 4-1. I won the Bells Cup, defeating Thistle 3-1 despite having a player sent off in 15 mins. A few weeks later I recorded 3 4-0 back to back wins over St Mirren, Partick Thistle & Falkirk. I got the **** again at Ibrox in the Scottish Cup this time. Remembering my tactics last time, I decided to put 5 across the back with a sweeper, 3 in midfield and 1 up front. I also started Paul Doyle for the first time(He had just came back from laon at Montrose.) And I gave Kevin Bradley only his second start because he was the best chance of a breakaway as my main threat Conway was injured. I drew 0-0 and was chuffed as f'ck. I got them back to Broadwood where I played the same team and got to extra time, and with 3 minutes to go, Bradley scores the match winning goal. I gave him a new 4 year contract because of that, but I lost to Dundee Utd in the next round :ph34r::( I then had the title swen up at the start of April, and gave fringe players a chance in the last few games, and they bet Falkirk 3-1 and Thistle 1-0 :D Won the league by 12 points, only losing 3 times. I got manager of the year, Aaron Conway got player of the year, scoring 29 goals and Graeme McCracken got young player of the year and a call up to Scotland U21's

I'm in pre-season now, only made one signing, Alex Burns. I'm aiming for a top 6 finish :D

Anyone have any stories of it??

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm half-way through my first season at Saints boss.

Currently sitting 7th in the league, 18 points behind Hamilton at the top, and 11 clear of Queen of the South in 9th. Under-performed in the cups, and have just lost 2-0 in a Scottish Cup 3rd round replay to Brechin - their reward being a home tie against Rangers <_<

I've only signed one player out-right, Paul Rudden on a free-transfer from Crumlin Utd in Ireland. I've also brought in Robbie Foy from Liverpool and Steven Hislop from Inverness on loan until the end of the season. I've also got pre-contracts signed with Graham Stack of Arsenal and Peaso the Impaler from the Saintees.

My top scorers at the moment are Stewart Kean with 8, and Mark Reilly :lol: with 5.

I'm in the year 2016 as manager of Feyenoord, although the game started off as me being the manager of Ajax :) . Won the double with Ajax in first season, getting the the CL semi's. Next three seasons I won the Dutch league, cup and Champions League, making about £100million in profit along the way.

Left and went to a 11th placed Milan in november, finished that season winning UEFA cup, Serie A and Italian cup. Next two seasons at Milan won Serie A, Champions League and Italian Cups in succession.

Left and became Holland manager, winning the 2014 World Cup with an awful Dutch team, beating Japan in the final.

Left and became Inter manager, and the exact same happened there as did in my first season as Milan manager. :)

Left after half a season where I became Feyenoord manager and I won the 2016 Dutch championship. I am just starting the 2016/17 season.

I am the greatest manager of all-time. :D

I just cant get into Football manager, its too slow compared to the older champ managers, and i dont like the new layout, it confuses me slightly.

Ive been playing football manager games for over 20 years now and this disapoints me greatly. :(

I just cant get into Football manager, its too slow compared to the older champ managers, and i dont like the new layout, it confuses me slightly.

Ive been playing football manager games for over 20 years now and this disapoints me greatly. :(

634185[/snapback]

I know what you mean, I find it a little slow and the new interface takes a bit of getting used to - but persevere, it is worth it ;):D

Two little tips ... either press CTRL+TAB to switch out of FM and use the time to post on here :lol: while waiting for the game to number crunch. Or set the sensitivity to the lowest setting (its in the controls somewhere) so that you cant interupt it by clicking on the mouse. Apparantly, the less sensitive it is to interruption the faster it process ;)

Im currently playing Liverpool, won the league last season (cant remember which year Im in :blink: ) I have an unbeatable squad :D Most impressivly forward options of Cisse, Torres, Berbatov and Ibrahimavic (sp) Cisse and Torres scored about 80 goals between them last season :D

I'm currently playing as the Saints, only I moved us down to the English Conference, and decided to work my way through the ranks. I must add that the money in England's lower league is tight. So to prevent going into administration and losing my job in the first season through financial matters, I cleared our £1.7m bank loan and started with a bank balance of £0. :)

1st Season I won the conference by about 30 points.

2nd season won league 2 by the same margin.

3rd season I won league 1 by 5 points from Sheffield Wednesday.

Now in my 4th season, I am currently sitting 4th in the Championship. Blackburn are the runaway leaders, they have romped it and it is still only January. They have only dropped 6 points in 25 or so games. However, second is still do-able.

My Team: Play a straight 4-4-2 only moving one Central midfielder into and attacking mid, and one to a defensive mid.

GK - Iain Turner (young Scot, signed from Chelsea via Everton for £1m)

DL - Stephen Hammel - Singed from Blackburn via Motherwell for £350k)

DR - David van Zanten (Rotate regularly with Jamie McCunnie, signed from Ross County for £100k)

DC - Mark Davidson (Young Scot, signed from Notts Forest for 9k)

DC - Kirk Broadfoot (also have Gary Kenneth to rotate - £160k from Dundee United.)

DMC - Junichi Inamoto (Free Transfer from West Brom after they filed for Bankruptcy)

MR - Freddy Guarin (20 y/o Colombian Full Back, broke the bank for him by spending £2.2m from player sales on him)

ML - Radfutin Orekhov (20 y/o Left Winger from Turkmenistan, signed on a free from Nisa)

AMC - Ricardo Sousa (Portugese playmaker. £50k from Hannover)

FC - Lebohang Mokoena (The one who could break me. Payed £1m up front to Cagliari, then another £3.4m over the next 12 months, so I need to get promoted to pay for him or I'm shafted.)

FC - Robert Earnshaw (Signed on a Bosman after WEst Brom were relegated to league 1)

I don't have FM I've got CM 03/04 as I find it good enough - I'm in about 07/08 :unsure: but I've just been promoted back to the SPL after having a 1 year absence got relegated :( and running away with the 1st division without losing a game (I think) It actually took 2 years for me to get promoted (bloody Ayr) after losing to St. Johnstone on the last day of the first season. I won the league cup as well as getting promoted in season 2. I'm loaded because I sold Mark Gilhaney to Man City for 1.5m hes been on loan at Celtic since <_< The old firms empire is collapsing and I think Dundee Utd. won the league last year with Celtic finishing 2nd but Rangers were about 5th :lol: Not played it for a while so can't remember my team perfectly - it was something like

GK- William Bald - young GK with potential

DL - Mark McLaughlin

DR- Tomasz Jarzebowski - Polish wing-back in mid 30's Costs a bloody fortune in wages but well worth it

DC- Gary Locke - has proved to make the grade, also can play in midfield

DC- :unsure:

ML- Bobby Duncan- Very good and isn't afraid to go forward

MR- Jack Ross (I think :unsure: )

MC- :unsure:

MC- :unsure:

FC- Stewart Kean- good partner to the star player

FC- Kevin McGlinchey- Was only 13 when game started but walked into the 1st team :o Has been player of the year and top scorer every season - Is/was in our youth setup I believe - I remember him playing in a friendly v Stenhousemuir last year

Two little tips ... either press CTRL+TAB to switch out of FM and use the time to post on here  :lol: while waiting for the game to number crunch.

634256[/snapback]

Alternatively set it to windowed mode :rolleyes:

Saints should be a lot better in FM 2006 after I managed to convince the guy in charge of Scottish research that broadfoot really is as good as I'd made him B)

I'm still playing ChampMan 03/04

My First Choice line-up, in Season 2006/2007 is:

GK: Neil Alexander - £950,000 from Cardiff, signed to replace Andy Goram :ph34r:

DL: Goran Stanic - There from the start, SPL standard but vicious, recently passed 80 disc. points.

DC: Marvin Andrews - Signed from Livi for free at end of contract.

DC: Brent Sancho/Colin Murdock - both free, Sancho from Dundee and Murdock from Hibs.

DR: Jason Dair - Another freebie from Motherwell.

ML: Mark Peers - Starts at Raith, plays U21 for England.

MC: Darren Brady - Another original, star player and one of the most concistent (SP!)

MR: Ryan Blackadder - In and out of the Scotland squad, great winger, highly recommended.

FC: Janis Zuntners - Signed on a free from Skonto, plays Striker or Central Defence, great player for the SPL

FC: Nacho Novo - on loan from Majorca, they'll accept an offer for around 500k but he won't accept my contract offers.

FC: Martin Prest - Top goalscorer despite missing 4 months (so far) due to a damaged spine.

Other Players:

Paquito - Played right-back but is retiring because of a broken leg.

Paul Tosh - Free from Forfar, comes off the bench in most games.

Craig Conway - Almost 100k from Arbroath, but plays well in the SPL.

Allan McGregor - Shite. Waste of 400k.

I'm in my second season in the SPL after 2 seasons in the First. I cheated (saving before cup games and vital league games) in my first two seasons, but i've gone straight since entering the SPL. In my first season in the top flight I won the Scottish Cup, while Hibs won the League and the League Cup (OF won F'CK ALL) I was dumped out of the Uefa cup by Partizan Belgrade.

In my current season, i'm second to Hibs by 2 points, despite having Nacho Novo out for the first month of his loan, and then tearing his groin muscle and missing another two, Martin Prest damaging his spine, and Paquito breaking a leg and deciding to retire.

Scotland also made it past the group stages in the 2004 World Cup :thumsup2

EDITED TO ADD: I also dumped Marseille out of the Uefa Cup despite having 7 players away on International Duty and having another 4 injured.

A last minute goal in the second leg meant I won on away goals.

(Then I went to Sarajevo, drew 0-0, had 3 defenders sent off, another injured and go beat 3-0 in the return leg)

It actually took me two years to get promoted (bloody Ayr)

634716[/snapback]

Ditto, cheating bassas.

I managed to get Stewart Kean off them for free though, so that reduced their firepower, but they still finish top-half in the SPL.

Livingston, Hearts and Aberdeen have all been relegated.

Ross County, Me and Ayr have been promoted.

Oh, and my starting line up is:

GK: Bryn Halliwell

RB: Simon Mensing

LB: Eddie Malone(Bollan if Malone LM)

CB: Scott Wilson

CB: Stuart Balmer

RM: Graeme McCracken

LM: Alex Walker

CM: Darren Sheridan

CM: Mickael Marsiglia

CF: Aaron Conway

CF: Ian Harty/Gary Arbuckle/Kevin Bradley

I've got Bollan, Potter, Doyle, Gibson, Bryson, Greenhill, Wilford on the fringes and play a few of them if I'm playing a team at the bottom of the league. Morrison is the only one who hasn't played a game yet

Ditto, cheating bassas.

I managed to get Stewart Kean off them for free though, so that reduced their firepower, but they still finish top-half in the SPL.

Livingston, Hearts and Aberdeen have all been relegated.

Ross County, Me and Ayr have been promoted.

634750[/snapback]

They beat me by 1 point :( I've got Kean too but I think I paid a fee :unsure:

I think they're back in division 1 now.

btw - does anyone do these games online - I've always wanted to try it - is it any good :unsure:

Finished 7th in my first season, which pleased the board. I've managed to bring in Ritchie Hart, Gary Dempsey and Mark Wilson (former Middlesborogh midfielder) over the sumer, as well as the pre-contract signing of Peter MacDonald.

Into my second season now (man, I've played this a lot today) - got knocked out of the Challenge Cup at the first round stage by f'cking Morton, but got revenge on day one of the league season by gubbing them 3-1 at Cappielow :D

After 9 games, I'm sitting 8th on 10 points, and have suffered heavy defeats away to St Johnstone (6-1) and at home to Airdrie Utd (5-2). I'm currently 3-0 up at half-time against Ross County in Dingwall though :lol:

Team at the moment (in a 3-5-2 formation) is...

Craig Hinchcliffe

Kevin McGowne

Paul Rudden

Kirk Broadfoot

David van Zanten

Mark Wilson

Gary Dempsey

Ritchie Hart

Ryan McCay

Stewart Kean

Peter MacDonald

Subs - Chris Smith, David Martin, Hugh Murray, Simon Lappin, John Baird

Started off as Stirling, natch, but now Manager of Kilmarnock in the SPL, just started season 2008/09

Team is...

GK - Nick Culkin

RB - Paul Nugent (Ex Stirling)

LB - Andrew Taylor (Ex Boro)

CB - Marvin Andrews

CB - Markus Heikennen (Ex Aberdeen)

DM - Paul Keegan (Ex Leeds)

MR - Andy Gibson (Ex Partick)

ML - Jose Luis (Ex Real Madrid)

AM - Danny Invincible

CF - Neil Mellor (Ex Liverpool)

CF - Keigan Parker

Back up players include Freddy Dindeleux, John Paul McBride, Scott Tunbridge, David O'Brien, Craig Samson.

Currently sitting 2nd in the league behind Celtic after about 8 games. :D

Alternatively set it to windowed mode :rolleyes:

Dont you roll your eyes at me :P

Except it can be funny about going into windowed mode, depending on your screen resolution :rolleyes::P

Saints should be a lot better in FM 2006 after I managed to convince the guy in charge of Scottish research that broadfoot really is as good as I'd made him B)

634728[/snapback]

CHEAT CHEAT CHEAT CHEAT :P:lol::lol:

I'm currently playing as the Saints, only I moved us down to the English Conference, and decided to work my way through the ranks. I must add that the money in England's lower league is tight. So to prevent going into administration and losing my job in the first season through financial matters, I cleared our £1.7m bank loan and started with a bank balance of £0. :)

634542[/snapback]

How do you switch your team to another league? Or did you just add a manager and transfer all the players over to some other English team?

How do you switch your team to another league?  Or did you just add a manager and transfer all the players over to some other English team?

635439[/snapback]

When you are starting the game you select how many leagues you want to play. :)

CHEAT CHEAT CHEAT CHEAT  :P  :lol:  :lol:

635409[/snapback]

Erm not really. I'd rated him at the top limit of star first division players which he didn't agree with, but I managed to convince him to accept it. part of my argument was that lee Wilkie had the same rating :lol:

How do you switch your team to another league?  Or did you just add a manager and transfer all the players over to some other English team?

635439[/snapback]

You'd need to use the editor and change the league I'd expect. Ignore PB, he's talking nonsense as usual :)

Archived