If we don't make it....

The Shark

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope not,

Been more spirit and effort even if not all results have gone for us,

and the squad seem to genuinely want to be there and work as a team.

I would hope that he given the next qualifiers, but it all hypothetical because

I believe that we will make it.

Anyway who else would you want for the job.

I recall the new SFA president - I always forget his name, chap from Cove Rangers, McCrae? - said last month that he'd keep his job if he wanted it.

I know people have speculated he might walk, but with England and a conceivably beatable Slovakia in WC2018 qualifying, I'd doubt it.

Hope not,

Been more spirit and effort even if not all results have gone for us,

and the squad seem to genuinely want to be there and work as a team.

I would hope that he given the next qualifiers, but it all hypothetical because

I believe that we will make it.

Anyway who else would you want for the job.

Nobody in mind, would just hate to start next campaign and realise halfway through (a la Levein) that we should have changed things earlier. Take your point that the squad seem happy, but since Poland away the performances have been dipping.

Georgia and Ireland at home I think we toiled (albeit we got the points), Ireland away a huge chance missed due to selection and tactics, we know about Georgia away and against Germany last month the scoreline flattered us. I'm not sure other countries are quite so patient with their management teams when they don't deliver.

I recall the new SFA president - I always forget his name, chap from Cove Rangers, McCrae? - said last month that he'd keep his job if he wanted it.

I know people have speculated he might walk, but with England and a conceivably beatable Slovakia in WC2018 qualifying, I'd doubt it.

This. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if he walked - didn't he do the same with Middlesbrough when he made an arse of it? I very much doubt he'll be sacked though. He's done a good job. Nothing sparkling by any means, but some of the hatchet jobs we've had in the past, this one can be easily ranked above them.

The question to the people who'll come in here and say that he should be sacked, who would you bring in to replace him? Unless there's a foreign manager with a very good track record of international management that wants to join us, then there is literally no point in sacking Strachan. Let's not fall into the cliched cycle of blaming it all on the manager, lynching him, then claiming the next one as the second coming before repeating in 2 years time.

Doubt the SFA, media or Tartan Army would accept a foreign manager, anyway.

For example - didn't Lars Lagerback actually indicate he'd like to replace Burley, and Levein, but it was effectively always a non-starter?

He's now taken lowly Iceland to automatic qualification ahead of the Czechs, Turks and Dutch.

Doubt the SFA, media or Tartan Army would accept a foreign manager, anyway.

For example - didn't Lars Lagerback actually indicate he'd like to replace Burley, and Levein, but it was effectively always a non-starter?

He's now taken lowly Iceland to automatic qualification ahead of the Czechs, Turks and Dutch.

He was the exact name I was trying (not very hard admittedly) to remember. He was interested, but was passed over (again, can't quite remember who for, was it Levein?). And he's done not too bad since.

Interesting that you'd say that no party would accept a foreign manager. I hadn't ever really thought about it. Obviously the SFA decided against Lagerback back then. I'm sure they had their reasons - and to be fair, I doubt they thought that Levein (if I was right earlier) would turn out to have been quite the travesty he ended up being. Would the media and fans really not accept one? I think they'd accept one who was successful - if we hired one in and he wasn't, it wouldn't be down to the fact that he didn't sit down to haggis with his scottie dog each night. Of course, plenty of people would see that differently I suppose.

The cold hard truth of finishing 4th (if it happens) would surely see just about any other national manager of a mid-decent team walking.

that said it's so much better now than it was. We look competent at least and players don't drop out left right and centre. but there's always the feeling that a lager back could bring spectacular change.

He was the exact name I was trying (not very hard admittedly) to remember. He was interested, but was passed over (again, can't quite remember who for, was it Levein?). And he's done not too bad since.

Interesting that you'd say that no party would accept a foreign manager. I hadn't ever really thought about it. Obviously the SFA decided against Lagerback back then. I'm sure they had their reasons - and to be fair, I doubt they thought that Levein (if I was right earlier) would turn out to have been quite the travesty he ended up being. Would the media and fans really not accept one? I think they'd accept one who was successful - if we hired one in and he wasn't, it wouldn't be down to the fact that he didn't sit down to haggis with his scottie dog each night. Of course, plenty of people would see that differently I suppose.

I may be wrong... indeed I hope I am as after Strachan there is no Scots manager of calibre who'd take it, IMO... but I think the SFA wouldn't appoint a foreign manager due to [1] initial bad reaction from media and fans, and [2] subsequent fall-out if it went badly. If it went well people would quickly take to him regardless of nationality, IMO.

Lagerback was apparently interested in 2009 (to replace Burley) and 2013 (Levein), e.g.:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12010/5704519/lagerback-eyes-scotland-job

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21003129

His contracts up aye?

If we finish fourth - which we probably will - I can't imagine it being renewed. A mutual parting of ways would suit both parties.

Starchan's never hung around anywhere that long and might even get another gig in the English Chamionship.

Guest DAVIDB69

Would that be the same Slovakia who are two points behind Spain in the group and beat them during the group.

Our delusions as to our standing in the game are hilarious

If we can't get a play off in the euro group we have zero prospects in the wc qualifiers

Think we'd be crazy to think about letting him go. This is the most fun I've had supporting Scotland in years. If we don't make it, well the seeding and luck of the draw hasn't helped but we weren't expected to.

Think we'd be crazy to think about letting him go. This is the most fun I've had supporting Scotland in years. If we don't make it, well the seeding and luck of the draw hasn't helped but we weren't expected to.

I think we've had two very generous draws, all things considered.

If we don't get out of the England group, I doubt we'll qualify for anything in my lifetime.

I think Strachan will walk. But I'd be inclined to keep him on for one more campaign. Mainly because I can't think of anyone better at this point.

Strachan has looked stressed even I'll during some of the interviews since the gib game....in last campaign there was nothing to lose n no real pressure but the closer we have come to the climax here the more there is to lose and his selections have become increasingly bizarre....i don't want him to be sacked but I'm sure he will walk (even if we do qualify think he'll go after euros) we should really be think about a successor. ....which isn't easy at all....mcinnes maybe?? Would he even want it? I don't really know what decent options there are

Strachan has looked stressed even I'll during some of the interviews since the gib game....in last campaign there was nothing to lose n no real pressure but the closer we have come to the climax here the more there is to lose and his selections have become increasingly bizarre....i don't want him to be sacked but I'm sure he will walk (even if we do qualify think he'll go after euros) we should really be think about a successor. ....which isn't easy at all....mcinnes maybe?? Would he even want it? I don't really know what decent options there are

I saw his iWatch thing as being a bit of a two-fingered salute. I realise he has a fairly acerbic sense of humour, but that wasn't funny. It was spiteful.

Strachan has made a right c**t of this group. Playing safe in dublin started the freefall. I.d give him one more tournie after this otherwise its time to look elsewhere....

I don't know if that's fair. Before the competition started we'd all have settled for four points against the Irish. We got the expected number of points against Germany and against Gibraltar and Georgia at home and a decent enough point in Poland.

We had one utter shite of a performance and result in Tblisi but only need one excellent performance against the Poles to put it right.

If not, it'll still have been a close run thing and well worth trying again with the same guy in charge for now.

Archived