Queens v Morton

Why is it so frustrating watching Morton?

Again we have the most of the possession but do nothing with it. First half we were rotten and Queens deservedly went in 1-0 up at the break. Second half we looked a totally different team and for the first 20 minutes we were all over them, without creating much. Then we fell away before piling the pressure on again in the last 10 minutes.

Our play is generally ok until we get the edge of the opposition box, then it slows right down allowing them to regroup and we end up having to go back the way to the central midfielders and/or full backs. It's like we don't have a plan when we get 18 yards from the opposition goal.

EDIT John McKendrink is an utter bawbag.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got to be happy with the 3 points but let's not kid ourselves , that was another pretty poor performance especially the second half . Morton should of at the very least equalised today .

I take it your calculator run out of batteries SD & you just estimated the crowd ? There's no way there was just under 1,600 this afternoon . Everyone around us actually burst out laughing when the attendance was announced .

Absolutely no chance there was a similar crowd to our previous fixture with Morton especially with so many fans either elsewhere , watching the rugby or just lost interest after not winning at home for 9 weeks ;)

Morton had a stonewaller turned down in the first half. The player knocked it by Kidd with ease and he pulled him back at least twice.

There was another one in the second half involving Marshall I think. Impossible to tell from the opposite end of the ground but I thought it looked like a foul and expected it to be given.

I think we had a pretty strong shout for one for handball in the second half as well.

As for the Millar challenge, I didn't even think it was a foul at the time! Again I wasn't very close but I thought he nicked the ball and caught the player with his momentum. Happy to be corrected on that one though. He was very clearly injured though as was the Morton player who stayed down after the final whistle. Gaston was calling for a stretcher as I left the ground. Hopefully it isn't anything too serious.

It was right infront of me foul and a yellow, he had a look at romario aswell blatent kick

We started 3-5-2 anyone who says otherwise needs glasses. 01387 247272

Thought Fowlers subs were baffling, when under pressure and his changes just camped us even further in. Jacobs, Harris and Higgy in that order were my top three today.

Got to be happy with the 3 points but let's not kid ourselves , that was another pretty poor performance especially the second half . Morton should of at the very least equalised today .

I take it your calculator run out of batteries SD & you just estimated the crowd ? There's no way there was just under 1,600 this afternoon . Everyone around us actually burst out laughing when the attendance was announced .

Absolutely no chance there was a similar crowd to our previous fixture with Morton especially with so many fans either elsewhere , watching the rugby or just lost interest after not winning at home for 9 weeks ;)

I've got to admit that I was wondering if the gate was reaching four figures. 1500+ came as something of a surprise.

Another element of the masterstroke in switching this game from Boxing Day of course, was that this way, it could clash directly with a big, decisive, televised Scotland rugby match. It really was ingenious.

I'd agree with those 3 plus Lyle as the ones worth a mention, but we struggled to pick a motm among ourselves.

I'm a bit concerned that the fact we won today will encourage Fowler to persist with the suicidal strategy of defending one goal leads. A better team than Morton would have found their way through.

Well that's not how it appeared to me.

Kidd was brutal but I'd imagine Brownlie would have been worse if asked to play full back for the full 90.

A right back has to be a priority in January.

Why wait till january!!

I'll actually be sad when Duffy goes. Talked to a couple of people who went and called it a not bad game. And that's consistent with how the games have gone. I'm more of a football fan than a Morton fan, and I find it very easy to hand my money right now.

The guy is a clown though. When he goes I won't argue. I'm going to enjoy supporting Morton until that happens though.

Good job Morton didn't bring their shooting boots or we would have lost that. The ref did us a couple of big favours too IMO. Thought Kidd was clearly grappling with the guy in the box and would probably have been penalised for it anywhere else, then when the guy went down rather too easily I thought the ref was going to buy it. Bit harsh to be booked for it for there was contact. Second half the guy breenjing past our stationary defender went down and, again, I thought it was a pen (but I was a pitchlength away tbf).

Finally, how the Morton guy wasn't booked for a laughable dive near the end I don't know. Maybe the ref was laughing along with everybody else.

Good first half from us but the second was poor with little good possession. Great to get a first home win since the first game of the season.

Morton are really close to being a superb team. Played some very good football at times and pegged us back the entire 2nd half. Thought the boy Samuel looked a very promising striker. Jacobs had his best game for us by a mile and Brownlie is so much better as a cb. As others have said Dowsers injury actually helped us. It seems Fowler is a stubborn manager and he cant accept the fact Brownlie is piss poor at rb. He has no attributes which make him suitable there. Shout out to Aidan Smith. The boy worked tirelessly today and helped raise Lyle's game due to his movement. Hutton was laughably bad in the 2nd half as was Kidd in the 1st. Harris is very inconsistent. Has the odd sublime moment but Im still to be convinced.

Wouldn't have been surprised if the ref had given Morton a penalty in the 1st half although the boy made the most of going down so maybe didn't help himself. 2nd half shout looked good as well from my stance at the opposite end. We should have had one for handball however. Jacobs' booking was a joke, he won the ball fair and square and Morton nearly scored from the free-kick. Kidd's (I think) booking soon after in front of the dug-outs was also harsh as it looked like the Morton guy ran into him and then went down. Millar's booking was well deserved.

Queens started well, good movement, fairly accurate passing, confident and not afraid to have a pop at goals. The lead was well deserved.

2nd half however and it was back to the same old failings. Half-hearted tackling, aimless punts upfield, sloppy passing and indecision. I always get the impression that other teams are physically stronger than us, even our big players seem to be easily brushed off the ball by players they should be able to handle. Other teams seem to have an instinctive awareness of where their teammates are for passes but we always look to struggle to find a teammate. How long does the excuse of having to rebuild the team and players getting to know each other have to last before it becomes just that, an excuse for poor performances.

The game followed exactly the same pattern as last week. Lots of Morton possession but doing very little with it to hurt the opposition. We often get into decent positions on the wing but the final ball into the box is either poor or the strikers are not getting into decent positions to receive it. We could have played all night and not scored. We are shot shy in the extreme and the biggest culprit is Denny Johnstone who always seems to want one touch too many. Samuel will, I think, come good but he needs the proper service.

From my angle, the McCluskey incident in the first half where he got booked was a stonewall penalty but Kilday's dive late in the second half was laughable and far more worth a booking.

The goal was disappointing as once again a lapse in concentration by somebody - not sure who yet- allows Lyle to peel off and get more or less a free header.

Other than the goal did either keeper have a save to make?

Other than the goal did either keeper have a save to make?

Thomson made a couple of decent saves second half. Nothing spectacular and nothing I wouldn't expect a goalkeeper at this level to save but saves that needed making certainly. Did Gaston not tip a decent drive over the bar in the first half too?

Thomson made a couple of decent saves second half. Nothing spectacular and nothing I wouldn't expect a goalkeeper at this level to save but saves that needed making certainly. Did Gaston not tip a decent drive over the bar in the first half too?

Harris cut in and hit a decent shot with his left foot but questions would have been asked had he not saved it. Think it may even have been going over anyway. Thought Harris was very impressive yesterday and hopefully get a bit of confidence into his game.

Mr Fowler in the papers this morning talking about a backs to the wall performance in the 2nd half, as he has done after other games. When will he say it was a self-imposed backs to the wall performance. We took the game to Morton in the 1st half and restricted their chances, why not try and keep doing that for the rest of the game, at least until nearer the end when there is not so much time to hang on. He can of course claim on this occasion that the tactic worked given that we won but sooner or later that tactic will come back and bite you on the bum. Luckily for us Morton were not too sharp in front of goal.

Good to see quite a sizeable turnout of Morton fans considering the number of fans (from both sides) who were unhappy at the change of date.

Archived