Bairns v Morton - Oct 17th

In my opinion we have the players that could suit the formation well. We have a good selection of CB's and would give our full backs more licence to get forward, Leahy especially. Just my opinion really. I'd go with:

Rodgers

Muirhead McCracken P. Grant

Vaulks Taiwo Kerr Leahy

Sibbald

Baird Miller

We do have more centre halves than we need, which would make a back 3 make use of that.

Plus points, wing backs, sibbs getting a forward role and two up front, the main issue is getting the back three to work. I think the last time we started with 3 at the back was away under Holt with Vaulks McCracken and Flynn, the latter being on his Westside. In that game it took us 30mins to get used to it, then I'm sure the later end of the game we went back to a 4...

There is a fine line of getting it to work ala the McCall era.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Back Post Misses

In my opinion we have the players that could suit the formation well. We have a good selection of CB's and would give our full backs more licence to get forward, Leahy especially. Just my opinion really. I'd go with:

Rodgers

Muirhead McCracken P. Grant

Vaulks Taiwo Kerr Leahy

Sibbald

Baird Miller

But what are the benefits of this formation over the currents ones we use?

Guest Back Post Misses

We do have more centre halves than we need, which would make a back 3 make use of that.

Plus points, wing backs, sibbs getting a forward role and two up front, the main issue is getting the back three to work. I think the last time we started with 3 at the back was away under Holt with Vaulks McCracken and Flynn, the latter being on his Westside. In that game it took us 30mins to get used to it, then I'm sure the later end of the game we went back to a 4...

There is a fine line of getting it to work ala the McCall era.

Because we have more centre back than we need is no reason to go to this? Would be play 5 strikers?

Not going to happen

Because we have more centre back than we need is no reason to go to this? Would be play 5 strikers?

Not going to happen

No, but a club our size has to maximise the squad we have, we should get our most effective players in their most effective positions. Sibbs is our best player and is best in a central role so we should build around that. I really think Leahy would shine in this system too although I'd probably put Vaulks back in defence and hope Duffie wakes up a bit.

It's true it would never happen, particularly at this stage of the season because it would mean risking a game or 2 to get used to it. Doesn't mean it isn't worth discussion though.

Guest Back Post Misses

No, but a club our size has to maximise the squad we have, we should get our most effective players in their most effective positions. Sibbs is our best player and is best in a central role so we should build around that. I really think Leahy would shine in this system too although I'd probably put Vaulks back in defence and hope Duffie wakes up a bit.

It's true it would never happen, particularly at this stage of the season because it would mean risking a game or 2 to get used to it. Doesn't mean it isn't worth discussion though.

Not convinced Leahy is quick enough to play this role.

Guest Back Post Misses

Like me though not convinced anyone on here actually knows the merits or more importantly pitfalls on this or any other system TBH.

Not going to happen

And I said that ?

We do have Vaulks, McCracken, Grant and rumoured to belived Muirhead to be very good centre halves, we shoehorn two of these into the team at times not giving them their full potential to themselves and the team.

I personally feel that if our fullbacks are not active in an attacking sense, our game suffers on the attack front, our two best performances of the season so far have been St Mirren and Livvy away with both full backs well involved either in goals, attacking play or scoring. A 3-5-2 formation would have the emphasis on them in the game.

We had a scary amount of goals created from our wingbacks in the McCall season, McQuilken,Hagi,Henry and Lawrie all doing their part over the season and funnily enough a certain Lee Miller benefiting....wonder what happened to him.

What you do need tho is a centre half, who can read the game. McKenzie in that role was a pure master stroke in that season

Its all about getting the best out of the squad we have, I dont want to watch another 0-0 ala QOS game where I'd have enjoyed it more facing the other way, the one thing I do agree is It wont happen tho, Houstie is strictly a 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 with slight tinkering, tho to be fair he takes risks with it, St Mirren game a prime example leaving one on one at the back on numerous occasions at 2-2

Like me though not convinced anyone on here actually knows the merits or more importantly pitfalls on this or any other system TBH.

The merits/pitfalls in most systems depend greatly on the players used and the surrounding tactics too. It's not as simple as 442=good 352=bad.

If you played Barcas formation with hoof ball it'd be shite.

I suspect In our case we'd be bypassing the midfield entirely and possibly asking too much of Sibbs and the wing backs. Asking them to play 2 roles depending on having the ball/not.

It's about getting best use of our players which I'm not sure we're doing at the moment.

Plenty of similarities between Morton and Falkirk it would seem, particularly in the 'dinosaurs in the dugout' area. Both Duffy and Houston are old school, it will take a lot to get them to change from flat 4-4-2 formations, even when the squads that they have would probably be better suited to playing in a slightly different style.

Morton, for example, are crying out to set up in a 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation this season. We have 2 excellent ball playing midfielders in Tidser and Forbes, but they need the extra security of a hard working midfielder in beside them. We also have good options in the wide areas in Barr, McCluskey and Sabajo. Duffy has continued to play a 4-4-2, with Tidser being asked to fill in at right midfield on occasion, which while it worked to an extent against a dreadful Motherwell side in the League cup, just wont work in the long run.

Personally, based on the personnel that we have in our squad, I would line us as follows

Gaston

Kilday - Gasparotto - Lamie - Russell

Tidser - Miller - Forbes

Barr - Samuel - McCluskey

Is it big an clever to call Houston (57) and Duffy (56) "dinosaurs"?

I've just watched Roy Hodgson (68) complete a 100% record to get England to Euro 2016.

Probably their best ever qualification.

Carlos Ancelotti (56) is widely seen as 1 of the best coaches in the world and linked to every big job going.

Even Jose Mourinho is 52 for fuxake.

Give it a rest

Really looking forward to this. No not a big desire to watch Morton but a real excitement about a Saturday 3pm game. Think this is only our second home league Saturday of the season. Was Raith the only one so far?

Really looking forward to this. No not a big desire to watch Morton but a real excitement about a Saturday 3pm game. Think this is only our second home league Saturday of the season. Was Raith the only one so far?

Yep.

3 home games.

2 Friday night v Dumbarton and QOS.

Also a postponed 1 v Hibs

I've just watched Roy Hodgson (68) complete a 100% record to get England to Euro 2016.

Not the first time they've qualified with 100% record.

Carlos Ancelotti (56) is widely seen as 1 of the best coaches in the world and linked to every big job going.

Even Jose Mourinho is 52 for fuxake.

Give it a rest

It's a mentality thing as opposed to an age thing.

Archived