1st quarter reports

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought I'd go for a more detailed analysis of our start to the season.

Negatives -

• Including cup matches we've conceded a massive 32 goals in 11 matches - a big thanks to Dunfermline for their efforts here
  • Knocked out of both cups in the first round for the first time since 2011/12 - the season where we won this league....
  • We've used 22 different players already this league campaign so far
  • We've had 6 red cards already this season. More than double last seasons total already
  • Continued our impressive defensive performance in 2015 - 77 goals conceded this calendar year
  • Have the worst goal difference in the country
  • East Stirlingshire are the only other side to have lost all of their away games this season

Positives -

• I've missed every game so far
  • Our home record this season hasn't been too bad. 2 defeats - one to high flying Raith in the Cup and one to a dodgy penalty in the last minute against Stranraer
  • We're still in the Scottish Cup
  • Colin Nish hasn't scored meaning that I don't feel guilty for not updating my signature into this season

Overall I'd say it's been a 'fun' 2015 so far.

I have to admit to being impressed by Ayr's form but I'm hopeful the Overlook Hotel qualities of Somerset Park will eventually kick in and send Ayr on their traditional downward spiral as the season progresses.
And biased referees from Ayrshire.
Plus they have had lot of help from dodgy goalkeeping
Tall poppy syndrome indeed.

Albion Rovers (B)

A far better start than most anticipated has left us in the dizzying heights of mid-table. Home form is clearly going to be they key to wether we survive or not, 9 of our 13 points have been won at the Coatbridge San Siro, chief among them beating Ayr 3-0 on the opening day. Ayr clearly had an off day and I doubt when the sides next meet that the score line will be repeated, but we took the chance we were given to get off to a flyer. Follow that up with home wins against Stenhousemuir and a poor (but improving) Brechin. Our only disappointing home result was the 3-1 defeat to Airdrie, where we shot ourselves in the foot twice in the first 20 minutes and left ourselves a mountain to climb.

Away from home we have struggled (not surprisingly). A 4-0 thumping from Forfar followed by a dismal 1-0 defeat to Cowdenbeath on weeks 2 and 3 left us pining for Cliftonhill. Things picked up slightly after that, a very decent point away to Peterhead and a 1-0 win at Stranraer boosted our points total, rounded off with a 3-0 defeat on Saturday at Dunfermline and we finish the first quarter with a certain degree of satisfaction at proving our doubters wrong.

A very long way to go though, a cold winter ahead where a run of injuries or suspensions could decimate our small squad. But keep winning at home and sneak the odd point away and you never know.

Interesting that history suggests that only Ayr or Dunfermline can now win the league. After seeing every team so far this season I would agree with that. As the oracle that is Iain McCall stated earlier in the season " the team that finishes above Dunfermline will win the league." Unfortunately I suspect that the strength of squads will come into play and Dunfermline will win the league with us winning the play offs!

Interesting that history suggests that only Ayr or Dunfermline can now win the league. After seeing every team so far this season I would agree with that. As the oracle that is Iain McCall stated earlier in the season " the team that finishes above Dunfermline will win the league." Unfortunately I suspect that the strength of squads will come into play and Dunfermline will win the league with us winning the play offs!

Deal.

Last season I kept reassuring myself that the Pars had the best defence and things would come good when we finally 'clicked' are started scoring goals regularly. Even in February I thought we might eventually click. Unfortunately, we crashed instead of clicking.

For now it looks like we can score goals even when playing poorly with an unsettled team. For that reason we should do better this year than last year. I hope the team can prove me right by winning at Stranraer though!

Last season I was full of confidence until the Morton away game where we lost 2-1. It wasn't the score line it was the tactics used that made me think there's no way we are going to win this league. Ugwu on the wing was a 'highlight'.

We need to win the majority of games until new year and the Ayr away game is a must win IMO. We need to put a marker down.

Last season I was full of confidence until the Morton away game where we lost 2-1. It wasn't the score line it was the tactics used that made me think there's no way we are going to win this league. Ugwu on the wing was a 'highlight'.

We need to win the majority of games until new year and the Ayr away game is a must win IMO. We need to put a marker down.

How can Ayr away possibly be a must win? It's in December and only the second meeting of the season.

Agreed. At this stage last year results wise not too concerned but the warning signs were there in terms of performances. Sure enough, we crashed not long after this. This year feels different. Not saying we're a stick on to win the league, but certainly we'll be in the mix, and definitely won't finish 7th. (Famous last words)

Last season I kept reassuring myself that the Pars had the best defence and things would come good when we finally 'clicked' are started scoring goals regularly. Even in February I thought we might eventually click. Unfortunately, we crashed instead of clicking.

For now it looks like we can score goals even when playing poorly with an unsettled team. For that reason we should do better this year than last year. I hope the team can prove me right by winning at Stranraer though!

Not in terms of the league but psychologically. If we get bullied and beaten again we will be thinking we are second best.

Must not lose is maybe more apt?

Agreed. At this stage last year results wise not too concerned but the warning signs were there in terms of performances. Sure enough, we crashed not long after this. This year feels different. Not saying we're a stick on to win the league, but certainly we'll be in the mix, and definitely won't finish 7th. (Famous last words)

Walking down the Halbeath Road forum for this p!sh!!!! :whistle

Archived